UK cyclist fatally injures pedestrian

Cyclist Charlie Alliston guilty over pedestrian’s death

He was found guilty of causing bodily harm by “wanton or furious driving” but not guilty of manslaughter.

Carrying a Maximum two year jail sentence (could actually get less) for taking someones life.

Every year between 400 and 500 pedestrians are killed by motor vehicles in the UK, this compares to around two every three years by cyclists! This case is only headline news because of the rarity of such incidents involving bicycles (along with general hatred towards cyclist from most people in society, if you think you are hated in a truck try riding a bike)

I’m pleased this cyclist has been found guilty and I hope they make an example out of him - but why is there not the same moral outrage when a car kills a pedestrian ? they are killing more than one a day, its so normal we just think of it as one of those things

Bluey Circles:
Every year between 400 and 500 pedestrians are killed by motor vehicles in the UK, this compares to around two every three years by cyclists! This case is only headline news because of the rarity of such incidents involving bicycles (along with general hatred towards cyclist from most people in society, if you think you are hated in a truck try riding a bike)

I’m pleased this cyclist has been found guilty and I hope they make an example out of him - but why is there not the same moral outrage when a car kills a pedestrian ? they are killing more than one a day, its so normal we just think of it as one of those things

Perhaps it’s headline news because he killed someone while riding an illegal push bike and his contempt for his victim :question:

i think its ■■■ for tat…normally its the trucks fault iirrespective of how badly the cyclist is ridng…this time he is riding along the road…on a smilar bike to masses of others,brakes or no brakes.is there no blame directed towards the bint that stepped onto the road without looking and subsequenty got splattered?.if she had looked where she was going he wouldnt have hit her…he might have stopped with brakes,but she should have been looking where she was going.i do think the guys a fanny,but no more or less than the rest of the lycra tree huggers

xichrisxi:
Carrying a Maximum two year jail sentence (could actually get less) for taking someones life.

Even a car driver “accidentally” causing Death will have it reflected upon their car insurance for years to come… This guy isn’t going to even get THAT happen though.

It’s time for a registration system of cyclists I think. All cyclists have to wear a high-viz with a registration on it. If you’re randomly pulled by plod and you don’t have ID matching your High Viz - then you’re for the High Jump instead. :imp:

As a cylist I can kind of sympathise with him.people nowadays tend to walk about with their noses in their phones or with earphones in. The green cross code has gone out of the window. It even happens when I’m in my truck.

However, no vehicle should be on the roads with defective brakes, regardless of size. And bells are, I believe, compulsory on bikes now. I also lose sympathy for his appealing attitude. Someone dies as a result of his actions and he doesn’t appear to care, even complaining that she’d damaged his bike.

So, I think my sympathy for him is rescinded, some poor soul went out to work and never returned home because of him. Shame he’ll only get a slap on he wrist for it.

I did hear that her family were trying to get new laws introduced that should hopefully reign in some of these lyrca louts. Hopefully they’ll succeed.

today 23 8 17 on the news,he got away with it,no manslaughter charge,a lesser charge,reckons he warned her went to go behind her but she backtracked into him,causing the collision.

Karma will catch up with this little pr@@k eventually although that will be no consultation to the family of the poor woman killed …

images (1).jpg

Apparently,the"wanton and furious driving" charge dates back 150 years and refers to control (or lack of)horses and carriages because there were not considered to be any modern charges for which this cyclist could be charged.It does seem that this young man’s arrogant attitude has not helped him since reports show him as being a fan of “extreme cycling.”

The cyclists demanding justice whenever there is a biker killed are predictably quiet

truckman020:
today 23 8 17 on the news,he got away with it,no manslaughter charge,a lesser charge,reckons he warned her went to go behind her but she backtracked into him,causing the collision.

Exactly as he said- warned her, went to avoid her, she changed direction, and in all this time, he failed to slow enough so that the speed was sufficient to bowl her over. If brakes fitted and used and used, if travelling at speed suitable to the conditions, (how many drive trucks fast in cities with pedestrians and no railings) the accident was avoidable. Not 100% his fault, surely, but he 100% could have avoided it.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

There are two sides to this story.
Like most truckers I see cyclists showing incredibly arrogant and dangerous behaviour without a care in the world for other road users.
But my understanding is that this woman walked across the road whilst using her mobile phone and not looking…she then walked back into the cyclist. Hence not manslaughter.
On an almost daily basis I see pedestrians walking across the road whilst concentrating on their phone…sometimes whilst even texting.
I think this case is a matter of two negiligent road users meeting up…

I would have gone for manslaughter in this case. The cyclist commited a criminal offence in taking that bike onto the road without brakes.I sometimes drive a bus fitted with a four stage retarder and I dont use the foot brake unless I have to make an unpredicted stop .I wouldnt take the bus out without the brakes working though.

Heisenberrg:
Like most truckers I see cyclists showing incredibly arrogant and dangerous behaviour without a care in the world for other road users.
But my understanding is that this woman walked across the road whilst using her mobile phone and not looking…she then walked back into the cyclist. Hence not manslaughter.
On an almost daily basis I see pedestrians walking across the road whilst concentrating on their phone…sometimes whilst even texting.

I’d agree she was negligent in walking into the road.
He was, it seems, Much more negligent- bike without adequate brakes, riding too fast near pedestrians, then apparently shouting and swerving without slowing?
The accident was caused by two parties, her punishment was excessive, his deserved.

Heisenberrg:

+1
says it all.

the dudes a smarmy dweeb,but you cant crucify him for riding a bike similar to probably another 1000 riding around london today.everybody uses mobiles and drives at the same time…hence a normal fine…if it was me,then id be guilty of riding a faulty bike on the road,but she would be guilty of irresponsible and careless behaviour by wandering onto the road and not paying attention.

Maybe you people should read up, CCTV proved she was not using her phone.
She was killed by a complete and utter knob.

Dog tired:

quote from the daily mail…'What makes it worse is that, even when people were helping her, her phone was going off continuously with texts showing she was on it at the time…unquote.

using the same logic as you are only prone to being bitten by a shark when you are wet,then if she hadnt stepped out in front of a bike flying down the road,then she wouldnt have been smacked due to the fanny having no brakes.
theres guaranteed 1000 same fannys driving 1000 same bikes today in london and every other city with no brakes.if they just banned bikes from the road,then it would save everyone else a lot of grief.
if god had meant us all to be cycling,then he wouldnt have invented cars.

dieseldog999:

Dog tired:

quote from the daily mail…'What makes it worse is that, even when people were helping her, her phone was going off continuously with texts showing she was on it at the time…unquote.

using the same logic as you are only prone to being bitten by a shark when you are wet,then if she hadnt stepped out in front of a bike flying down the road,then she wouldnt have been smacked due to the fanny having no brakes.
theres guaranteed 1000 same fannys driving 1000 same bikes today in london and every other city with no brakes.if they just banned bikes from the road,then it would save everyone else a lot of grief.
if god had meant us all to be cycling,then he wouldnt have invented cars.

That’s an open goal DD! A quote from the Daily Mail? Next you’ll be having us believe, that you believe, everything on the www!

Gidders:
Apparently,the"wanton and furious driving" charge dates back 150 years and refers to control (or lack of)horses and carriages because there were not considered to be any modern charges for which this cyclist could be charged.It does seem that this young man’s arrogant attitude has not helped him since reports show him as being a fan of “extreme cycling.”

So basically there are no laws to dissuade irresponsible cycling. That explains an awful lot.