Turners v EStobart

Have you considered broadening your horizons slightly? There’s more to haulage than the two you named. Perhaps you should ask about some Ro Ro work or something :wink:

the maoster:
Have you considered broadening your horizons slightly? There’s more to haulage than the two you named. Perhaps you should ask about some Ro Ro work or something :wink:

:laughing: I was thinking along the same lines…but there ain’t no jobs in that line somebody once told us
…‘‘hmmm’’ he said, stroking his chin trying to look intelligent after a lightbulb moment :bulb: . :wink: :laughing:

I heard Argos at Kettering taking on, easy work and good money and I believe they take on new starters

I’ve applied to most Large operators, Wincanton (Argos Kettering) included. Due to Covid not many eager to train newbies as there is a challenge with providing facilities and follow gov guidelines.

But it should be fine for now, I will get a start with the company willing to take me.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

You will earn at least a £100 a week less at Turners.

And that isn’t to do with Stobarts being good payers.

I’ve worked for both of them, and ESL was head and shoulders above Turners. In my book, Turners are the rock bottom of UK haulage.

ESL had good kit, where you’d get a newish truck every day if you work days, or an allocated truck if you’re a tramper. The trailers were all clean, new, and the work tended to be clean and easy palletised stuff. Management could be better, but you cracked on and were left to it. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

Turners, however. Horrible management, who have it bred into them that drivers are lower than a piece of sh*t. Trucks with more telematics than a space shuttle, and cameras pointed at you. Pay used to be below minimum wage, but pushed above NMW by “productivity bonuses”. Newmarket is like a category A prison. You literally can’t use a toilet without asking permission, and some office bod unlocking the doors for you. Shocking treatment of their drivers, and a massive “them and us” culture. Planners were liars, cheats, and bullies. I had angry phone calls from planners and TMs, asking why I had a night out here, and not there, why I parked up after 14 hours, when I could have got 1 hour closer to my drop. Demanded I take breaks on bays. Threatened to be forced to work at the weekend unless I tipped their load that night. Contract twisted to try and force you to work every other weekend… The list goes on. Out of all UK haulage companies, they are probably the most reliant on Eastern European drivers in the country. You wonder why. Lower than a snake’s belly.

Do not work for Turners. Life is way too short for this. A job is about value, and your employer valueing you. ESL at least do things that show they value their employees, however small. Turners do nothing, because to them a driver is the lowest denominator.

Some small places will take on newbies but it’s down to what you are like as a person rather than how long you have been driving for, how flexible you are, etc.

One of my clients is looking at the moment, for example, but out of your area sorry. However, I have seen new drivers who, with a bit of support, drive like a dream and some old drivers I wouldn’t let out in one of the horseboxes. Even less so if the box actually has a horse in it!

Best of luck looking. Put up with Stobbies or whoever, get your reversing etc. up to a decent standard and then update the CV to reflect what you have been doing. Turn up tidy, not with gravy all down your old Rock Concert T Shirt, get the job you want and do your best.

All the best of luck for the future

Personally if it were me I’d give Stobbies a go…
I know everyone takes the ■■■■ but it’s a job,they do seem to run decent tackle and even though I’ve never worked for either turners or stobarts taking notice at deliveries,out on the road e.t.c between the two Stobbies looks the better option…
I would try the big ones too …DHL,K&N,Wincanton e.t.c,most of these have there own driving assessments,if you pass I don’t think they bother if your a newbie as most are self insured nowadays so the 2 year thing doesn’t matter to them…

Good Luck,hope it works out for you…

Try NFT (Ev cargo now).They time from time take new drivers.Easy job,good money.

I have worked for both Stobarts and Turners. I worked for Stobarts on curtainsiders out of Sherburn back in 2009 when they bought Irlams (I was Tupe’d). I left within 3 months they turned what was an excellent job with Irlams into a job I hated. To boot I was constantly chasing my pay every fortnight as it was never right. I am led to believe on an entire depot they took over from Irlams (Normanton) only a handful of ex Irlams drivers remain, make of that what you will.

Having moved to Felixstowe I worked for Turners on containers. I was always paid correctly was given more uniform than I could shake a stick at on my 1st day. The lorries were old and beaten up but any problems with them were dealt with quickly. Maybe because it was a smaller depot everybody knew me by name and I like this. The work was easy and the planners were never on my back. I would disagree with the £100.00 per week worse off comment. I was more than happy with my Turners wage for Mon - Fri and if I wanted there was always overtime available on either Sat / Sun where hours allowed.

IMO there is little to choose between any of the big firms dip your toe see if you like the temperature if not move on

Felixstoweflyer:
IMO there is little to choose between any of the big firms dip your toe see if you like the temperature if not move on

Good advice, give it ago, it’s some experience which helps you onto the next rung of the ladder

Felixstoweflyer:
I have worked for both Stobarts and Turners. I worked for Stobarts on curtainsiders out of Sherburn back in 2009 when they bought Irlams (I was Tupe’d). I left within 3 months they turned what was an excellent job with Irlams into a job I hated. To boot I was constantly chasing my pay every fortnight as it was never right. I am led to believe on an entire depot they took over from Irlams (Normanton) only a handful of ex Irlams drivers remain, make of that what you will.

Having moved to Felixstowe I worked for Turners on containers. I was always paid correctly was given more uniform than I could shake a stick at on my 1st day. The lorries were old and beaten up but any problems with them were dealt with quickly. Maybe because it was a smaller depot everybody knew me by name and I like this. The work was easy and the planners were never on my back. I would disagree with the £100.00 per week worse off comment. I was more than happy with my Turners wage for Mon - Fri and if I wanted there was always overtime available on either Sat / Sun where hours allowed.

I think they pay differently depending on what you are on at Turners. I know in my very very short spell there on curtainsiders, with the less than minimum wage mentioned above my best weeks take home pay was £391. That wasn’t that long ago and was for a 55 hour week

Units were old, trailers were absolutely shagged out and nothing got a wash. The work wasn’t too bad though mainly through Barron Wood and mainly left alone to crack on.

Wow, it’s nice to hear years of experience…

Will make a note of that.

I did hear about hidden gems of pay structure between companies, and Turners is one of most complicated with twisted performance bonuses + day rate.

Stobarts aren’t the best at paying, but at least pay structure is transparent enough.

That in itself opens a can of worms.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk