Working for Turners of soham (spalding area)

Recently passed class 1 and looking for work I’ve been offered a couple and one of them is with an agency that sends me to one of the 3 turners depots near spalding, the pay is quite good (self employed) and they said you pick when you work etc but does anyone work for them that can give advice on start times (for days) and if any nights out and the shift lengths? It’s either that or freshlinc which I know pays garbage :neutral_face:

Personally I would go direct and on the books.

The pay isn’t the best at Bicker (I was there) but office staff are all good. Lots of ex drivers in there to help finding some places. Driver trainers were both really good and you will get all the help you can ask for as a new pass as you are on the books. I doubt they will do that for agency. Plenty of time to chase self employed wages when you have some experience.

Start times are midnight onwards. Mostly the earlier starts are doing the nights out as they are doing the distance runs. Days are usually long (paid day rate) but there is a lot of waiting around so not hard hours. I did also have some 7/8 hour days. 48 hour rule is followed.

You will do Aldi and Lidl so self tip as well as other places that you will be on the back with a pump truck.

You will likely end up in London so I do suggest a decent sat Nav.

Trucks are mostly older but all ok. Any defects are fixed or you change units. Not expected or wanted to run bent. I did 6 months there as my first job and learnt a huge amount. I have moved on but don’t regret going there.

Freshlinc is poor money but most work is round Spalding however I would worry about experience for the moment

Thanks for reply I probably will just go on the books like you said, are the day starts very unpredictable then or can you typically start 4-6am everyday if wanted?

I generally started between 00 and 02. I was told that they tried to keep your start time regular through the week Even if it varied from week to week and on the whole they did. Anything more than that I would suggest you ask them