Culina vs Turners

Hello,
2 jobs:

1. Turners [Soham]: Mon-Fri, 1pm start time. O/T possible every 2nd Sat (11ph). No specific rate-mysterious ‘productivity’ rate which claims to be around 400pw (net pay). Does anyone know/work for Turners and is in knowledge of its expected weekly rate? 25 minutes drive time.
  2. Culina Logistics [Haverhill]: anytime, anyday start, 5on, 3off. Fixed 28.8k pa which turns to 423pw. 50min drive time.

Any experience/guide/opinions in regards to as above? Any input welcomed!

I’d go with the fixed salary at culina if I was you, at least you know what you are going to be taking home every week, rather than the “productivity” rate at turners, which could vary. I like to know what i will be earning rather than what I could be earning.

jack_cam:
Hello,
2 jobs:

1. Turners [Soham]: Mon-Fri, 1pm start time. O/T possible every 2nd Sat (11ph). No specific rate-mysterious ‘productivity’ rate which claims to be around 400pw (net pay). Does anyone know/work for Turners and is in knowledge of its expected weekly rate? 25 minutes drive time.
  2. Culina Logistics [Haverhill]: anytime, anyday start, 5on, 3off. Fixed 28.8k pa which turns to 423pw. 50min drive time.

I can only comment on my experience of 1 particular branch / contract for turners. Never worked for Culina or any other contract on or depot of Turners.

I was on Turners on OOCL contract out of Trafford Park, I was the foreman driver of the 5 trucks based up here.

I was on for them for over 5mths, 1 days sick (gran died whilst I was there), no accidents, no lates, as foreman I was responsible for making sure all tacho’s were downloaded (both machine and driver cards), all drivers had paperwork req’d for any jobs, and usual of checking if trucks were booked in for service, rental of trailer etc.

I’d had words a couple of times with OOCL over a few little matters regarding myself or the other drivers.

One day, on a Friday night after parked up and tacho out, gets a phone call “Empty your truck, OOCL don’t want you on the contract anymore so you’re sacked”

So, no warnings, no discaplinary procedure, just out of work. Apparantly this was for sending “DAF NOT RAF” as reason for late due to bad planning on some jobs - all work done on PDA, tried phoning and got told to put ‘late’ in PDA - in hindsight perhaps I should’ve put “planner doesn’t know where Buxton or Halifax is” or “The A6 has other vehicles on it”■■

That’s my story, now, get’s a phone call off my mate on Friday just gone who started same time as me, he had the same call. I can’t comment on the details of his as I only have hearsay, but he claims that nothing had happened. But either way, he got the call, no warnings, no discaplinary procedure, just out of a job.

As I say though, that’s 1 contract, 1 manager, on a firm that’s getting BIG very fast, I was really proud to work for Turners being a family business that was making it good in these tough times and haven’t ruled out working for them in the future, but I would never go back under the same manager.
After an email to Turners, they said there was a mistake in my final payment and paid me an extra weeks wage in leiu of notice period.

Not sure if any of that helps, but it’s all the info I can give.

have worked for Turners for 4 yrs :smiley: , on the whole their a good company to drive for :slight_smile: , normal niggles but you get that any/everywhere
i drive on the milk collection side so drive domestic rules, however i know a couple of the guys on the fridges and cement/bulk powder contract and their on quite good money 450-550 T/H pw without busting A nut .

basic money is quite low but you get extra for late/early starts + attendance bonus all helps
also they have so many contracts you may be able to shuffle around

Turners seems more reasonable rate Mon/ Fri, Not much more for culina & a lot more weekend work

It won’t be an anytime start for Culina once you get settled you should have a start window and then it shouldn’t vary much then. I’ve never worked for Turners so can’t comment on them.

Never worked for either so no particular bias involved. On the face of it I’d take the Turners job. Fixed start time, Mon-Fri work and the money is in the same sort of area. I like that start time.

I used to work for culina it’s an easy job no hassle decent motors but you do work a lot of weekends and the start times are crap midnight starts on new years eve and boxing day

gunner1983:
I used to work for culina it’s an easy job no hassle decent motors but you do work a lot of weekends and the start times are crap midnight starts on new years eve and boxing day

Only some drivers start at midnight and that’s what they want, some drivers also start at 05.00 too, and yes with a rolling shift pattern it will include weekends and possibly boxing day if you’re unlucky.

Well when I worked there you started 11 hrs from when you finished and that was midnight far too many times for my liking

never worked for either,but just looking at the fleets would have me picking culina,the trucks/tris of theres i see on my travels always look clean and tidy,hours /job would be similar to what i do,nothing against turners but from my outside view they seem a level or two below culina.
my only reservation would be how many hours you would do with culina to get £28,500 ,talking to one of there drivers a year or so ago he said he averaged 10 hrs per day,but said he earnt £32,000,id guess he works o/t,the only bit that baffled me with him was he said hed been with them 2 years but he wasnt wearing a uniform of any description and i thought culina drivers wore one.

ady1:
never worked for either,but just looking at the fleets would have me picking culina,the trucks/tris of theres i see on my travels always look clean and tidy,hours /job would be similar to what i do,nothing against turners but from my outside view they seem a level or two below culina.
my only reservation would be how many hours you would do with culina to get £28,500 ,talking to one of there drivers a year or so ago he said he averaged 10 hrs per day,but said he earnt £32,000,id guess he works o/t,the only bit that baffled me with him was he said hed been with them 2 years but he wasnt wearing a uniform of any description and i thought culina drivers wore one.

We are salaried average 48 hr week.

bald bloke:

ady1:

We are salaried average 48 hr week.

that seems reasonable bald bloke,9/10 hrs per day,lot less than my 70/80 hrs p.w,and not far behind on money,just confirms my thoughts,id go for culina

All units now are kept either 2 or 3 years max, and they are very ambitious, Culina that is.

bald bloke:
All units now are kept either 2 or 3 years max, and they are very ambitious, Culina that is.

yes just a shame theyve no depot near me,maybe one day there ambitions will go as far as taking over stobarts/or just chill will do for me :smiley: :smiley:

jack_cam:
Hello,
2 jobs:

So come on then Jack who I going to be the lucky company to acquire your services ?

bald bloke:
So come on then Jack who I going to be the lucky company to acquire your services ?

Heh, didn’t expect so much interest :slight_smile: Will decide early next week and make a call.

jack_cam:

bald bloke:

Heh, didn’t expect so much interest :slight_smile: Will decide early next week and make a call.

We are here to help, you ask a reasonable question you’ll get a reasonable answer, ask a stupid question then you’ll get stick. I work for Culina and as long as you keep your head down and stick to the rules then you’ll be left alone.