TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

wheeltapper:

240 Gardner:

Wheel Nut:

Yes. My mate Howard drove one of them, there is more fat on a greasy chip so he was ok. Anyone with a beer belly would never be able to drive them. The seat back was against the plywood

Hmmm, I remember a Howard, but his surname escapes me for the moment.

The drivers always preferred the FL10s that these Eurotrotters replaced. But this conversion (actually by Estepe) did a lot to improve the space compared with the original cab which, by the way, was shorter than a standard Eurotrotter as well:

Never forget working on these at Volvo & Bowkers, they had a pulley fan/belts set up that was a sod to work on as space was limited, the cab had a short tilt ram and it was difficult to get bits for (Non Standard - overnight).

Best thing they did was take them off the road!!!

In fact at Bowkers we fitted an old ammo box on each trailer with a fully made up tensioner pulley and belts etc made up inside, so if they failed over the water or down south the local agent had the parts on the job.

Damp misty Aosta!

Load of cow-skins, just what you need on a hot day!

those bowker F10’s look a bit ■■■■ really don’t they :cry:

adr:

I remember reading the article about this truck in one of the trucking mags. It was brand new at the time (still had Dutch white plates on) & the drivers son was called Remco…

Wasn’t me■■? I bet it was :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jimboy124:

Cruella1965:

jj72:

gazzer:
Was that Paul [Regan] who had the first Globetrotter on Yeardleys.

Bloody hell, blast from the past - not sure he was there early enough to have the first Gobstopper around 1981?

No it was my dad, John Green who drove 1 of BY’s 1st 2 Globetrotters, the other was driven by John Hayton. Slightly before Paul’s time with BY. They drove ORH 919W (John) and ORH 920W (my dad). They went on the road 1st August 1980 and I went to Italy with dad before I started back at school. We went with Terry Shipley and his son Terry. Terry senior was a tad under the influence for most of it. Dad wonders if anyone remembers him as he was on the European circuit from the early 70s till 1992. He retired last year after working for TDG from 1992. He worked for MAT in Hull before Brian left MAT and set up on his own and Dad and Terry went to work for him. Other drivers I can remember from the early days are Mel and Ivor Bradford, Jimmy Croft, Gordon Wightman, and JIMMY BARKER. Other names escape me but dad can fill you in when he’s not doing his duties. Seven drivers went together the 1st time I went abroad with Dad taking Portacabins from York to Paris. Terry is dad’s best mate and has lived in Thailand for the last few years.

Honestly mate … it wasnt me :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :exclamation:

adr:

That’s the neatest load of skins I’ve ever seen, that’s is my ex Kammac F12 & me mate Derek Hart’s F10 back in 1988, we were weekended @ Clauds en-route to Vic in Spain both loaded with skins.

Other than the bulging sides on the tilts, how can you tell we’re loaded with skins?? :wink:

Ross.

The salt dripping on the tyres…Vic, Verona, Vicenza, Pordenone, Santa Crutch…I love 'em all! Especially “Shaky’s” Bar in Vicenza! Don’t think I ever saw a neat pallet of “empty cows” like that one above.

Salerno with the friendly Mafia man who took you to his restaurant while his gang siphoned off the skins in the docks & then the friendly customs man who sealed the load before you returned. V.efficient! :laughing:

no one parked next to you, because of the smell.

we used to load galashiels and jedburgh for chicotellos in salerno, mostly with flat beds, could smell the town well before you got their.

these iranian lorrys were always down their.

mark

scan0033.jpg

marcus 22:

we used to load galashiels and jedburgh for chicotellos in salerno, mostly with flat beds, could smell the town well before you got their.

mark

now that’s what i call a tank :grimacing:

marcus 22:

mark

Got it in one Mark, no one as far as the eye can see!!

On one occasion I was double manning to Spain trying to beat Bastile weekend & on the Friday we stopped on the Autoroute south of Paris, the truck parking area was chocker with cars towing caravans, most of the occupants sat around tables with their families scoffing in the afternoon sun. We found a parking bay we could just fit into & threaded ouselves between the outdoor dining locals in their Renault’s & monster caravans. We locked up and headed for the service area eaterie, stopping on the staircase where we could see all the people around our truck frantically waiving away trying to swat all of the millions of flies that had decended on them. We had some lunch and strolled back to the wagon to find no-one parked within about 50 feet of us :confused:

I wonder why, was it the raging pong, the fat & snot dripping from the sides of the trailer or the millions of flies & blue bottles looking to share in their alfresco feasts■■?

Who cares? we laughed all the way to La Jonqera!!!

Ross.

marcus 22:

mark

Now THAT is a TRUCK :open_mouth:

Most unusual. I’ve never seen one like that before. Does anybody have any info on the make/model/year? Or any info about them being operated by Iranians, and why. Anything really. I’m interested.

hi ross

yes their certainly was a pong off the loads in the summer, winter was not too bad with them if it was freezing cold, as i said we used to take them down on flat beds most of the time , their used to be a few iranian drivers parked their every time we went down, they used to give us a hand to fold the sheet back up, they would tip their and wait for weeks on end waiting for a backload , they were nice guys most of them always good if you wanted a coffee or a meal on a night time for a bit of dinner they used to make some lovely stew and their own bread, some of them would take a beer from you and some just stuck with their religion and never touched it. they used to work for chicotello in the yard for a few quid a day till they got a backload.
the trailers lights and chassis got some hammer from the salt , and it was a nightmare if we had a load to sheet coming back, once back to the yard the trl and sheet was given a good wash.

regards mark

hi ezydriver they were internationals but they had been modified for the iranians dont know what engine was in them, they had the big tanks either side and were double drive…

regards

mark

marcus 22:
hi ezydriver they were internationals but they had been modified for the iranians dont know what engine was in them, they had the big tanks either side and were double drive…

regards

mark

Ah right, thanks.

Yes I can see that now. I think the tanks made me perceive them in a different light. They make them look really meaty. I like them. I would personally love to see a few of them belting down the motorway :grimacing:

That Iranian truck looks like a White but it’s difficult to tell from that angle.

In the early 70’s there was a massive order in the U.S for The Iran government who did not specify what they needed so every truck manufacturer emptied their dealerships and the result was hundreds of totally unsuitable trucks for the Iranian roads. Tractors with no brakes on the front axle and rubber suspensions which could not cope with unmetalled roads. They also bought a fleet of frameless boxvans which ended up ditched all over the country when the boxes bent unable to take the road shocks.

There was also a company who bought a fleet of CCC’'s (crane Carrier Company). Theses were artic tractors but built for civil construction work. Anyway they ran them from Iran to Europe for several years.

marcus 22:

mark

that is a beast!! id love a go in that.

definatley a international i have the front view of it will sort the photo out , their used to be 2 of them running together all the time, they only ran at about 40mph they would go faster but the iranians ran them at that speed on the nice italian tarmac due to the double drive and the sand tyres.

regards mark

those light blue sudden accidents that was seen broke down in norway was eldridge from east london