TRUCKIN IN THE 80's (International)

Cruella1965:

jj72:

gazzer:
Was that Paul [Regan] who had the first Globetrotter on Yeardleys.

Bloody hell, blast from the past - not sure he was there early enough to have the first Gobstopper around 1981?

No it was my dad, John Green who drove 1 of BY’s 1st 2 Globetrotters, the other was driven by John Hayton. Slightly before Paul’s time with BY. They drove ORH 919W (John) and ORH 920W (my dad). They went on the road 1st August 1980 and I went to Italy with dad before I started back at school. We went with Terry Shipley and his son Terry. Terry senior was a tad under the influence for most of it. Dad wonders if anyone remembers him as he was on the European circuit from the early 70s till 1992. He retired last year after working for TDG from 1992. He worked for MAT in Hull before Brian left MAT and set up on his own and Dad and Terry went to work for him. Other drivers I can remember from the early days are Mel and Ivor Bradford, Jimmy Croft, Gordon Wightman, and Jimmy Barker. Other names escape me but dad can fill you in when he’s not doing his duties. Seven drivers went together the 1st time I went abroad with Dad taking Portacabins from York to Paris. Terry is dad’s best mate and has lived in Thailand for the last few years.

Do you have any pics of your Dads time at either Yeardleys or Mat?

Remember the first time i saw your dads Globetrotter, my all time fave trucks

scan0153.jpg

scan0101.jpg

marcus 22:

Great pictures Marcus, brings back memories.

Thanks matey

some nice views going up and down their but you soon got bored with them :laughing:

mark

scan0107.jpg

scan0104.jpg

marcus cracking pics mate :wink:

Thanks carl

few of them photos will jot a few memories for a lot of drivers.

they were taken with one of them fancy disposible cameras you could buy on the ferries :laughing: automatic and everything, one touch :laughing:

regards

mark

scan0202.jpg

scan0174.jpg

scan0156.jpg

Some pictures of when I was with Geliton BV from Eindhoven. After Geliton I worked on Cyril Knowles on UK & Europe, then Ralph Davies.

marcus 22:
Few close ones on this bend

The infamous “wall of death” coming down the Blanc. Made me smile that if you managed to get “thrown” round it, you had the other nasty bend round the corner!! Prolonging the agony of knowing you’ll be hitting the river at the bottom! :open_mouth:

Regards,

Mark.

I always wondered why so many Italians went over there until I drove a FIAT.There were no spring brakes on Italian motors so when you were out of air the ■■■■ things just free wheeled!!!

The “Ski Slope” under construction.

hi gazzer

that road system going up the blanc is some engineering feat

regards

mark

JonB1973:

Cruella1965:

jj72:

gazzer:
Was that Paul [Regan] who had the first Globetrotter on Yeardleys.

Bloody hell, blast from the past - not sure he was there early enough to have the first Gobstopper around 1981?

No it was my dad, John Green who drove 1 of BY’s 1st 2 Globetrotters, the other was driven by John Hayton. Slightly before Paul’s time with BY. They drove ORH 919W (John) and ORH 920W (my dad). They went on the road 1st August 1980 and I went to Italy with dad before I started back at school. We went with Terry Shipley and his son Terry. Terry senior was a tad under the influence for most of it. Dad wonders if anyone remembers him as he was on the European circuit from the early 70s till 1992. He retired last year after working for TDG from 1992. He worked for MAT in Hull before Brian left MAT and set up on his own and Dad and Terry went to work for him. Other drivers I can remember from the early days are Mel and Ivor Bradford, Jimmy Croft, Gordon Wightman, and Jimmy Barker. Other names escape me but dad can fill you in when he’s not doing his duties. Seven drivers went together the 1st time I went abroad with Dad taking Portacabins from York to Paris. Terry is dad’s best mate and has lived in Thailand for the last few years.

Do you have any pics of your Dads time at either Yeardleys or Mat?
Remember the first time i saw your dads Globetrotter, my all time
fave trucks

Dad has some of the Globetrotter and he had some of BKH 739T as coasters as supplied by BY but can’t find them. That was his 1st F10. Unfortunately no pics from his days at MAT. If you look on BY’s website there is a line up of golden oldies and Dad’s 2nd Globetrotter A546 OAT is on there. B997 — can’t remember the rest is on there too. That was his last one. How do you know of him?

Dad has asked if anyone remembers Seagull Ferries that sailed from Southampton to Le Havre. Says that the drivers accommodation was a portacabin strapped to the deck at the top lol. Didn’t you live the high life in the 70s! Possibly more of a memory for ex MAT drivers apparently going from J I Case at Leeds to their factory at Vierzon in France.

forkliftphil:
Hi there my Dad got a ex Wilson and Haigh Volvo F88 unit! His made it into a 4 wheeler and drawbar! regards Phil

truckerash:

jj72:
you mean you’ve got Wilson & Haigh photos ash?

here ya go mate. A nice F10 from W&H. got some of their Dafs and MANs, ill post um soon.

I think they are rebranded as Expect now and have a new place just off the M606

nothing to do with wilson and haigh expect the bloke that part owned wilson and haigh.started pennine parcels when w h went under then he changed the name when they stopped doing parcels.hope this helps :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

dreva:
nothing to do with wilson and haigh expect the bloke that part owned wilson and haigh.started pennine parcels when w h went under then he changed the name when they stopped doing parcels.hope this helps :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I knew it was something to do with Wilson Haigh ,i think the Fee family owned WH. I think Expect still use the place at Halifax where WH were based.Last i heard Expect were paying £7 odd a hour but dont forget ,you do get a shiney new motor :smiley:

ramone:

dreva:

I knew it was something to do with Wilson Haigh ,i think the Fee family owned WH. I think Expect still use the place at Halifax where WH were based.Last i heard Expect were paying £7 odd a hour but dont forget ,you do get a shiney new motor :smiley:

hiya,
Bah humbug, £7 an hour and a shiny new motor eh’, a proper driver can make an old dog earn it’s keep and still give the driver a living wage and the guvnor isn’t too picky if you can do a bit of running maintainence which was essential in the “olden days” I am aware you need a computer before you can fit a light bulb these days it’s called technology, I call it a step back, howay Harry time to go back to the old people’s home there’s a good fellow.
thanks harry long retired.