Top of the morning!

Try some of the big Cardiff/Newport hauliers. Many do their own driving school. You may be tied to the haulier for a couple of years but if it saves you the upfront cost it might be a price worth paying. Last time I was out that way I seem to remember an urban with L plates on it in the Owens yard at Newport.

As for extra cost, I did my class 1 for an extra 950 seven years ago.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Evening guys would appreciate some advice of those in the know :slight_smile:

Coming to arranging my React funding for my class 2 and I’ve been advised to get my Hiab training to as it should be covered with the funding I’ll get.

Should I also try and get my forklifting training or Moffet I think it’s called? Although I’m not sure if that is expensive and will go over the funding allowance.

Would appreciate some help and advice pleeeease…

As rates are under discussion, I thought I’d throw this into the mix. I challenge anyone to beat the price for the service offered:

For a long time we’ve given Trucknetters 10% discount off everything we do. But now we’re going one step further and giving free driver cpc as well. So this could be Mods 2 and 4 incl training and test fees or 35 hrs (some of which may be gained from the driver training). All completely free when a full C, D or CE course is booked and paid for.

So, to be clear, a discounted C or CE course - together with free cpc (either initial or periodic) currently has a total cost of £1260 and £1395 respectively. And there is still free accommodation for the duration of the driving course for those living more than 70 miles from our centre. There will be a rate increase during 2018 but anyone booked beforehand will avoid it. (it’s not going to be huge anyway).

Probably the best value to be had.

To take advantage of this, give your Trucknet user name when booking.

The offer will be withdrawn 21st December 2017. Deposits must be received by close of business 21st December 2017 to qualify.

ON TOP OF THIS, EVERYONE WHO HAS PAID THEIR DEPOSIT WILL BE ENTERED INTO A PRIZE DRAW - - AND THE PRIZE IS A FREE COURSE + CPC!

THIS WILL BE DRAWN ON DECEMBER 21ST AT THE END OF BUSINESS (4pm) AND THE WINNER WILL BE INFORMED BY PHONE. THIS WILL ALSO BE PUBLICISED ON SOCIAL MEDIA.

Really clever folks will pay £200 x 2 and get the offer twice over. Once for C and once for CE. For those with no current driver cpc you’ll get 10 years driver cpc out of this - - completely free of charge! All you have to do is to call with your £400 and book the training, when it suits you, to take place during 2018. Doing this will save around £900 in total. Not to be sniffed at - - and wont be repeated anytime soon! £2655 for C, CE and 10 years cpc.

PASS PROTECTION CAN BE INCLUDED AT THE REDUCED RATE OF £250 FOR EACH COURSE. THIS COVERS YOU FOR UP TO 3 RETESTS ON EACH COURSE.

Those of you more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW will be offered accommodation for the duration of your practical training (not periodic cpc) completely free of charge.

Remember the offer is open only to registered Trucknet users. You don’t need to be a regular poster - so long as you can quote your user name when you book.

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU CAN REGISTER WITH US WITHOUT A PROVISIONAL LICENCE AND TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE OF THIS OFFER! SIMPLY CALL THE OFFICE 01623 555661 DURING OFFICE HOURS AND SET YOURSELF ON THE RIGHT ROAD.

Some simple t’s and c’s:

Cpc training must be taken within 12 months of driving course
Once cpc dates are agreed, they are not transferable and will be lost if cancelled by the customer for any reason
Cannot be used towards ADR training
Winner of free course agrees to publicity on social media

Happy to answer any questions - just fire away!! O yes, and good luck.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Do you have a class 2 job lined up? I would strongly suggest paying for a C and C+E packaged course if not as class 2 work is horrendous.

I would strongly suggest paying for a C and C+E packaged course

I wouldn’t! It’s physically impossible to go from C immediately to CE. There will always be a pause as the licence has to be issued by DVLA before you can jump in a CE. We allow 4 weeks for this though the licence sometimes comes back more quickly.

My advice is to get CAT C, breathe, then book CE for a month later.

Don’t get ripped off by the folks advertising “back to back” training. Simply, it cant be done.

ItsJoe:
Do you have a class 2 job lined up? I would strongly suggest paying for a C and C+E packaged course if not as class 2 work is horrendous.

Not all class 2 work is bad. Where I work the class 2 guys usually have it easier.

Peter Smythe:

I would strongly suggest paying for a C and C+E packaged course

I wouldn’t! It’s physically impossible to go from C immediately to CE. There will always be a pause as the licence has to be issued by DVLA before you can jump in a CE. We allow 4 weeks for this though the licence sometimes comes back more quickly.

My advice is to get CAT C, breathe, then book CE for a month later.

Don’t get ripped off by the folks advertising “back to back” training. Simply, it cant be done.

Eugh, you misread my post Pete. I said a packaged course, which you offer yourself might I add.

adam277:

ItsJoe:

Not all class 2 work is bad. Where I work the class 2 guys usually have it easier.

That’s why I said “if you have a job already lined up”. There are good and cushy class 2 jobs (co-op being one) but if you’re going to look for work blindly I strongly discourage it as there’s a 99% chance you will have to join an agency and be stuck doing van work.

Crikey some responses there lol

Just after some advice about what I asked… not interested in that offer thanks Pete.

Class 2 is my aim for now, get some experience see if I like it and then payout for class 1 possibly…

Any advice on the forklifting moffet training guys?

Gorbash:
Crikey some responses there lol

Just after some advice about what I asked… not interested in that offer thanks Pete.

Class 2 is my aim for now, get some experience see if I like it and then payout for class 1 possibly…

Any advice on the forklifting moffet training guys?

There’s a good chance that the experience you get doing class 2 work will put you off driving professionally. Have a gander at the forum posts on here where people wish they carried on to class 1. I’m one of those people mate. Doing my class 1 now and I would rather quit driving than going back to class 2 work.

Head is pickled now :open_mouth:

I now React will pay for most of my class 2… I guess it’s a large lump extra if I was to try and get class 1 aswell…

Gorbash:
Head is pickled now :open_mouth:

I now React will pay for most of my class 2… I guess it’s a large lump extra if I was to try and get class 1 aswell…

A lot of training providers will offer big discounts if you book both C and CE courses together so you would be saving money in the longer term.

If class 2 is what you want to do then I’d suggest looking around for employers with work that you fancy doing. Being a new pass with no experience(?) it would be just down to luck if you do land a good job working directly for an employer. Whatever you do, and I’m extremely passionate about this, don’t join an agency. You will be treated like dirt and be thrown on van work. Agencies will always give the good work to their experienced old timers over a new pass. So if you do join an agency and get offered a job right away I guarantee that job has been past upon by every driver in the agency which means it’s going to be awful work.

Best of luck anyway mate. Hope you’ve taken on board what I’ve said because I’ve been in your shoes and went down the wrong path. I just genuinely don’t want to see you or anybody else wasting their money, time and effort.

Thanks mate appreciate your advice.

I think the only thing that’s a bit daunting for me if I’m honest, is class 1 seems a lot harder to drive! :stuck_out_tongue:

I expect when you get the training things change, but when you see what’s involved with driving them it does make me think… how on earth can I drive that lol

I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned. So I will. You can order your tachograph digi card at any time. No need to wait to have passed anything first.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Gorbash:
Thanks for your reply guys.

Bigwheelers in South Wales, as I’m based just outside Cardiff.

How much are the digi cards then? Didn’t realise you had to buy a card too :open_mouth:

I passed my cat 2 with them and will do me class 1 with them too. They are good trainers, I also did my cpc with them.
Tommy.

TommyTanker:

Gorbash:

How much are the digi cards then? Didn’t realise you had to buy a card too :open_mouth:

I passed my cat 2 with them and will do me class 1 with them too. They are good trainers, I also did my cpc with them.
Tommy.

Nice one Tommy.

Did you find work quite quickly and was it agency?

Gorbash:

I think the only thing that’s a bit daunting for me if I’m honest, is class 1 seems a lot harder to drive! :stuck_out_tongue:

I expect when you get the training things change, but when you see what’s involved with driving them it does make me think… how on earth can I drive that lol

Have you done it yet? If you have class 2 I know a company I am starting with soon that will take on new drivers, pending an assessment.
Tommy.

I need the new year mate, so nearly there :slight_smile:

What’s the company called mucker? I’ll make a note of them and pop them an email and see if they fancy taking me on :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers mate

Gorbash:

In terms of learning. Class 2 is harder.
The class 2 training is when they teach you all the concepts that apply to driving trucks on the road.
Once you pass the class 2 all you have to worry for the class 1 is the reversing, uncoupling and compensating for the increased size of the truck.
Far as I’m aware class 2 test and class 1 is exactly the same so if you can crack the class 2 you can do the class 1.

Hi guys, just after some of your thoughts :wink:

My thoughts (sure already mentioned this previously) was to get my class 2, hiab and cscs certificate and then maybe get 6 months experience driving before I go for my class 1 etc.

I was just after people’s advice as to whether I should get my ADR now and then start looking for class 2 ADR work as-well as normal work when I pass… or whether it’s best I get the experience first of driving these vehicles before I payout.

Fortunately I have a few quid saved up so could get the ADR asap, as I’ve recently found out I don’t need my class 2 to do the course…

Gorbash:

The cards are alot cheaper than buying a Tacho unit.£19 i think they are.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk