TomTom Go Professional 6250: review

Used TomToms since the GO 300 came out about 10 years ago,never had any issues apart from the 6000 I bought last year it was replaced under warranty after the GPS failed.

the maoster:
I have a Snooper that is so old that it still shows the roundabouts on the A1 in Lincolnshire. Also when I pass Bedford on the 421 toward Milton Keynes it thinks I’m driving in a field. Does the job though, I haven’t got lost or hit any bridges…

This week!

Same here mate, mine is admittedly fairly new, but is just a basic car type, what more do you need exactly apart from a bit of common sense…and 400.quid? :open_mouth: …ffs! :unamused:
Some of this crap I’m hearing on this thread is like something out of bloody Star Wars :smiley: . :unamused:

You know what Maost? Call me old fashioned boring or just ■■■■ old :smiley: but :…Reckon if I needed that level of total guidance and instruction to do this ■■■■ job, I’d be telling myself it aint for me. :smiley:

I see my Satnav as my “away from home” wife, we both have different ideas about the best way to proceed forward and spend the entire journey arguing about it :smiley:

Have just bought one after my last truck tomtom packed up,I have not used the phone as I have a handsfree kit which works through my radio I have only had it for a day it is taking a little while to get used to it but my first impressions of it are good. I am sure after a couple of days when I get up to speed with it I will be well pleased

UKtramp:

SuperMultiBlue:
Whats new from the 6200?

Nothing that reflects in its price tag. Your phone can connect via bluetooth which is really quite annoying as you cannot hear or hold a conversation very well at all on it. It has a completely useless average speed between speed cameras, you can look at your speedo for the same info. The processor is slightly faster than the previous models but still slow in comparison to other makes. Not a great satnav to be honest, I wouldn’t buy a TomTom.

There really is no excuse for a device costing 300-400 sheckels to have a procrssor a Nintendo gameboy would put to shame.

Tomtom have got to be careful though… even just putting an adequate proc in there so there is no lag between button presses would render all future models pretty much redundant. They know this.

That’s my only gripe with the 6200. Lag

SuperMultiBlue:
There really is no excuse for a device costing 300-400 sheckels to have a procrssor a Nintendo gameboy would put to shame.

Tomtom have got to be careful though… even just putting an adequate proc in there so there is no lag between button presses would render all future models pretty much redundant. They know this.

That’s my only gripe with the 6200. Lag

I’m not sure the problem is the processor; it’s more likely to be that they’re using a system like Java where you write a program to run on another program (called a virtual machine), rather than programming the computer directly. The advantage is that you can run your program on any system that has the virtual machine available for it (e.g. the sat-nav itself and the PC used to test it); the disadvantage is that it’s slower.

If they sorted out the lag problem they would have a pretty good product, though some points of interest that are of interest to UK truckers would also help (who’s ever seen a DKV fuel card in this country?).

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

my tomtom go professional 520 is brilliant , cost me less than 200 quid
i love the way it reads my whats app messages out loud to me and gives my the option to reply with voice control.
i love the tomtom traffic with free updates for life
i love the voice and the way it tells me road numbers and street names
i love planning my route by talking to it ,
i love planning my route in a waiting room , it offers me alternative routes , i just choose what one i want , then i just send it to my device using the app, get back in the cab and its all set up
i love the way it tells me about a faster route while i am driving , and i can take the faster route without touching it
i love updating it using free wi fi , no need for a computer
its brilliant , best thing i have ever bought ,

villa:
my tomtom go professional 520 is brilliant , cost me less than 200 quid
i love the way it reads my whats app messages out loud to me and gives my the option to reply with voice control.
i love the tomtom traffic with free updates for life
i love the voice and the way it tells me road numbers and street names
i love planning my route by talking to it ,
i love planning my route in a waiting room , it offers me alternative routes , i just choose what one i want , then i just send it to my device using the app, get back in the cab and its all set up
i love the way it tells me about a faster route while i am driving , and i can take the faster route without touching it
i love updating it using free wi fi , no need for a computer
its brilliant , best thing i have ever bought ,

The blind leading the blind, planning a route in the waiting room? You do the same route day in day out and still need this to guide you in. Anyone who follows a TomTom deserves to go wrong drivers like you are the cause of bridge strikes and bad driving.

UKtramp:
The blind leading the blind, planning a route in the waiting room? You do the same route day in day out and still need this to guide you in. Anyone who follows a TomTom deserves to go wrong drivers like you are the cause of bridge strikes and bad driving.

He said it was a Go Professional; that’s an HGV sat-nav so it’s meant to avoid low bridges etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IndigoJo:

UKtramp:

He said it was a Go Professional; that’s an HGV sat-nav so it’s meant to avoid low bridges etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly right, supposed to be one, duuuhhh. I have just sold one on here for £200 that’s how good they are.

villa:

Is the ‘MyDrive’ just set up for car route planning or does it take into account truck configurations once you’re logged into your account? If it’s just generic car when you then send it to the device does your device automatically alter the route for applicable height/weight/ADR restrictions or will the route stay set as it was on MyDrive?

Reef:

villa:

Is the ‘MyDrive’ just set up for car route planning or does it take into account truck configurations once you’re logged into your account? If it’s just generic car when you then send it to the device does your device automatically alter the route for applicable height/weight/ADR restrictions or will the route stay set as it was on MyDrive?

The default is truck in my drive , but when you send a route with the my drive app on your phone to your tom tom while you are in the traffic office for example , you have a choice , leave it on truck configuration, or send it as a route for motorbikes or for cars , then when you get to your device you get the same choice again , leave it as truck route with the configuration you pre set or change it to motorbike route or car route

villa:

Reef:

The default is truck in my drive , but when you send a route with the my drive app on your phone to your tom tom while you are in the traffic office for example , you have a choice , leave it on truck configuration, or send it as a route for motorbikes or for cars , then when you get to your device you get the same choice again , leave it as truck route with the configuration you pre set or change it to motorbike route or car route

Oh that’s handy then, thanks for the info.

One last question if you don’t mind, I watched a YT review and the guy said he couldn’t get bridge icons showing on the map of the device, did the guy just not have his set up properly or is that actually how it is? I know the TomTom routes you to avoid the bridges and weight limits but if you cannot actually see them for yourself when previewing the suggested routes I find that a little unnerving, my old Go510 had 3rd party bridge POIs added to it and it was handy seeing any bridges on both the trip preview and route progression, not sure I like the idea of them not showing at all if I’m honest.

I must confess I have no experience with Tom Tom’s gadget but I have had a Garmin dezl for 4 years which has an interesting feature called ‘Rabbits Nose Mode’ whereby it turns itself off near town centres and won’t switch back on for 2 minutes. This happens mostly when inside the North circular causing ones ringpiece to twitch like the aforementioned rabitts sniffer.

Good for me though as it means I still have to memory map my destinations in an old school stylee.

Dipper_Dave:
I must confess I have no experience with Tom Tom’s gadget but I have had a Garmin dezl for 4 years which has an interesting feature called ‘Rabbits Nose Mode’ whereby it turns itself off near town centres and won’t switch back on for 2 minutes. This happens mostly when inside the North circular causing ones ringpiece to twitch like the aforementioned rabitts sniffer.

Good for me though as it means I still have to memory map my destinations in an old school stylee.

Mine actually went dim the other day - the screen went to 0% brightness although this doesn’t mean zero, just about 1%, while voice navigation continued. I used voice command to increase it to my usual 80% but it didn’t work. I discovered that the power cable had slipped out when I pulled over at Winchester services; oddly, when it slips out of the lighter socket, the machine goes into shutdown but when it slips out of the back of the unit, the screen just dims. Odd. Never had it refuse to switch back on although reboot takes about that long.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk