TomTom Go Expert

Hello,

I’ve had this satnav for 3 weeks now, and I have to say I feel a bit negative about it, for its 400£ price tag.

I was just going to use google maps, but realised after my first trip abroad that there were so many inconsistencies and poor warning in advance for restrictions.

I must admit that tomtom has set me right more times than it has messed something up. But 4 times last week, it tried to navigate me down a no-left turn road, in rural england it was sending me down inappropriate B roads, in Europe I wanted to avoid Switzerland and every single routing option wanted me to cross that way, through different roads. And finally, it keeps randomly tapping into my podcasts thinking I’m giving it vocal instructions, and one occasion even managed to set my destination as something completely random! Similarly, I often use the Channel Tunnel instead of ferries, so have to always setup a waypoint.

I also wish it had in-built overtaking restrictions in place as an assistance to the unclear signage on some roads. You also have to confirm boxes about 3 or 4 times to launch a route. You click drive, then enter all the restrictions and dimensions again (why not have profiles?), pick a route from the list then confirm.

Yes, 8/10 times there’s no issues, it has good updates with traffic. But my god is it a frustrating piece of expensive piece of technology, and really not as powerful as you’d expect.

We don’t ask these things to drive for us or take it as gospel, but these are basic fundamental floors that you need local knowledge to solve. Something these satnavs were meant to help eliminate.

I was looking at one of these and researching different ones. Think Im gonna go with the Garmin lgv700 most places have got it at 299 in the sales at the moment. seems to do more stuff than the tom tom and cheaper

I think the “no left/right turn” thing is common to all of them (including Google maps) simply because the mapping data doesn’t include such restrictions (unless of course it’s a full-on “No Entry”/one-way street). But I stand to be corrected.

Roymondo:
I think the “no left/right turn” thing is common to all of them (including Google maps) simply because the mapping data doesn’t include such restrictions (unless of course it’s a full-on “No Entry”/one-way street). But I stand to be corrected.

Here’s the problem. It does include the restrictions and they’re frequently correct, but also frequently wrong.

Jamie MP:
Hello,

I’ve had this satnav for 3 weeks now, and I have to say I feel a bit negative about it, for its 400£ price tag.

I was just going to use google maps, but realised after my first trip abroad that there were so many inconsistencies and poor warning in advance for restrictions.

I must admit that tomtom has set me right more times than it has messed something up. But 4 times last week, it tried to navigate me down a no-left turn road, in rural england it was sending me down inappropriate B roads, in Europe I wanted to avoid Switzerland and every single routing option wanted me to cross that way, through different roads. And finally, it keeps randomly tapping into my podcasts thinking I’m giving it vocal instructions, and one occasion even managed to set my destination as something completely random! Similarly, I often use the Channel Tunnel instead of ferries, so have to always setup a waypoint.

I also wish it had in-built overtaking restrictions in place as an assistance to the unclear signage on some roads. You also have to confirm boxes about 3 or 4 times to launch a route. You click drive, then enter all the restrictions and dimensions again (why not have profiles?), pick a route from the list then confirm.

Yes, 8/10 times there’s no issues, it has good updates with traffic. But my god is it a frustrating piece of expensive piece of technology, and really not as powerful as you’d expect.

We don’t ask these things to drive for us or take it as gospel, but these are basic fundamental floors that you need local knowledge to solve. Something these satnavs were meant to help eliminate.

You don’t need to enter truck size everytime for routing… though it will display that screen…just click OK.
It’s good for me as I regularly tow different height trailers

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I reckon if I felt the need to pay 400 quid for a thing like that in order to do my job,.I’d be calling it a day. :unamused:

robroy:
I reckon if I felt the need to pay 400 quid for a thing like that in order to do my job,.I’d be calling it a day. :unamused:

Is that a direct quote from your TM as he points to you?

(Asking for a friend)

Monkey241:

robroy:

(Asking for a friend)

Ok I admit it - it wasn’t for a friend; Franglais put me up to it.

robroy:

I get paid well so I don’t mind splashing out for resources I would seem to find in any way helpful. Who wouldn’t make life easier for themselves?!

To me it has it’s value in routing and updates to maps. I just find it utterly frustrating at times.

Dont set simple A to B if you want a particular route. ie London to Milan. First set tunnel or Dover. Cross Channel choose Paris or Reims. When there set a suitable way point depending on where youre going: Basel or Mt Blanc or Frejus.
When at preferred transit point set destination or to wherever.

Monkey241:

Monkey241:

robroy:

(Asking for a friend)

That’s ok mate, I’d sussed that one out,…I already assumed you’d have no friends. :wink:
:sunglasses:

robroy:

Monkey241:

Monkey241:

robroy:

(Asking for a friend)

That’s ok mate, I’d sussed that one out,…I already assumed you’d have no friends. :wink:
:sunglasses:

Self deprecation is one of my many qualities…explaining the humour of an implicit joke appears to be yours

robroy:

I knew it would be you coming along with this comment [emoji1787]

I’ve had a tomtoms for years (using the p/ex discount) and this new model with the coffee maker function is mega [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I’ll give you a look at the other side - Garmin
Bought a Garmin Dezl 580 about a month ago . I had been just using google maps up to that point but a lack of bridge heights and weight restrictions on Google maps was leaving me very wary of a lot of routes .So far the Garmin has been faultless - it hasn’t put me wrong yet and I’ve been running it side by side with Google maps on the phone . Any time there is a difference in the route I’m now going with the Garmin route and its been right so far .

Jamie MP:

robroy:

I get paid well so I don’t mind splashing out for resources I would seem to find in any way helpful. Who wouldn’t make life easier for themselves?!

To me it has it’s value in routing and updates to maps. I just find it utterly frustrating at times.

I get your point mate, but by your own admission it’s more of a hindrance or a liability than a help…ie unfit for purpose…and all for the privilege of using a good proportion of a week’s wage…whether you can personally afford it or not is irrelevant in this situation.

I ain’t too up on sat navs, but don’t they all ‘‘route you’’ and update the maps?
I know my half decent bog standard TomTom car one does it, (would not be without it anymore btw)
As for the rest ( ie checking for bridges, actually pre.checking the route it gives me, and all the rest of it,) I prefer to do myself then I know that things are right rather than rely on technology to do it for me, what does it take…5 minutes?
Everyobe does things different, but the way that I do it ensures that I do not get in to a severe ■■■■ up situation down an unsuitable road or something like your 400 quid piece of kit is trying to do to you. :bulb:

Tbf to you, you sound like you have your head screwed on but someone who does not and totally relies on this stuff using zero initiative of their own (as many evidently do :unamused: ) is going to come a mega cropper sometime soon using that thing.

polytrotter:

robroy:

I knew it would be you coming along with this comment [emoji1787]

I’ve had a tomtoms for years (using the p/ex discount) and this new model with the coffee maker function is mega [emoji1787]

Discount?
Combined coffee maker?
I like the sound of this particular model. :laughing:

Traffic updates need care especially on long routes, such as the OP mentions.
If you`re 4 hours away from a traffic crash, do you need to go a longer route to avoid it? Or will it be cleared by the time you get there?
If the sat-nav is routing you towards a city, with currently clear roads will it be peak traffic when you arrive? And vice-versa if routing you away from a city because of its current jams, will you be having a night out and running around in the morning in the clear.
Be careful how you use these tools.

Franglais:
Be careful how you use these tools.

That one sentence just about sums up everything about a sat nav,. :bulb:
(Including and especially what I said in my previous post)

robroy:

I’am with grandad on this ,Morrison’s £1.99 map for a good overview,quick look on the bridge height map final location check on google earth job done .

Have never used a sat nav and most probably never will. In my job I only use Google maps and street view to see where I’m going before I leave. I use my brain after that. That get’s me by.