TomTom 6250 Rubbish?

I was wondering if anyone on this forum with more experience of the above satnav could perhaps help me. Whether Ive done something wrong or if I’m missing something here.
I went and upgraded to the 6250 from my £50 Chinese ebay one thinking the performance would be much better. Anyway I,ve been using it in my van to sort of get used to it & the other night it wanted to send me on a circuitous route around the country lanes for what I could see was no good reason.
As you can see from the photo. All I need to do is go straight on to the junction, turn left & i’m there. Instead it wants me to turn right go down a windy country lane, through a tiny village on a 4 mile detour - Why?
Ive retraced the route today. I stopped at the side of the road just before the junction, programmed it to the destination & it does it again.I don’t think theres a weight limit or anything so why is it doing this - does anyone have any idea. Its also programmed to be an artic as well.
Everytime I upload a photo on this forum it goes on its side. Don’t know why. As can be seen Technology not my strong point!
Thanks in advance!

I have similar problems all the time with my tomtom6000. Doing building site deliveries which are quite often in weight limits really throws up some stupid route planning by it. For some reason TomTom maps think that only the first few yards of the road are a weight limit so it’ll try sending me down very unsuitable streets, footpaths, lanes etc which lead into the desired road a bit further up.
Couple that with the crashy laggy performance I would definitely not buy another or recommend one. About the only positive thing I can say about it is the live traffic info is very accurate.
I bought one of the first truck sat navs produced, the snooper s2000 which I’ve still got which when it comes to route planning was excellent. Also the fact that the screen actually shows the bridges and weight limits on the map is way better than the TomTom.
So, if I were you I’d get a refund and buy a snooper.

Would suspect without knowing specifics, it might think you’re pointing towards Pakenham so will find a route that doesnt involve doing a u-turn (unless theres a roundabout).

If you were driving down that road from Pakenham to Great Barton and programmed it or reselected the destination, I would expect it to give the very short route unless it thinks theres a problem there.

Yes I am a little disappointed with it. Really it is not vastly better than the cheap Chinese one. I was surprised that there is so little info on the display when you plan a route [compared with say Google maps where theres a lot]. About the only thing shown is petrol stations. As you say it would be handy if bridge heights & weight limits were shown as a bare minimum. I wish it was easier to choose your own route. As far as I can see you have to enter stops. But these don’t seem to work very well & it does that stupid route planning thing all the time. Its got a really good mount compared to the other one. I like the way it turns on when you plug it in. I like the way it goes from day to night display according to the time automatically. One thing that’s really freaking me out - say you come to temporary road works & there a queue of say 6 cars or something it shows a hold up on the display. How on earth does it know that?
I think I conclude that they’re just an assist to finding your way & you really need the map book open to watch what the satnav is telling you to do which really defeats the object.

trevHCS:
Would suspect without knowing specifics, it might think you’re pointing towards Pakenham so will find a route that doesnt involve doing a u-turn (unless theres a roundabout).

If you were driving down that road from Pakenham to Great Barton and programmed it or reselected the destination, I would expect it to give the very short route unless it thinks theres a problem there.

A quick look on Google streetview shows that the "straight on " road has a 7.5 ton limit sign, which explains the display taking him left and then to the tight right turn into Pakenham.

Thanks Buckstones. I’ll check that out.

Yep you’re correct. There is a weight limit on that road. I missed that. Oops.
It’d be a useful feature if it warned you audibly if you were in a weight limit especially if you’re going off track. Then you could perhaps choose whether to ignore the instructions. The weight limit is 7.5t except for loading.
Still I’ve learnt something else & grateful thanks to you all!

I’ve never had any real issues with mine.
It does show you restricted roads, usually the roads are shown in pink or purple and since the last update it tells you just as you plan your route that you are in a restricted road and that part of the route (if no other option is available) will be shown as blue dots rather than the normal blue line.

Muntjac Hater:
Yep you’re correct. There is a weight limit on that road. I missed that. Oops.
It’d be a useful feature if it warned you audibly if you were in a weight limit especially if you’re going off track. Then you could perhaps choose whether to ignore the instructions. The weight limit is 7.5t except for loading.
Still I’ve learnt something else & grateful thanks to you all!

Unfortunately a lot of times it will see a road as if it had a weight limit and try to route you around. Trying to get to Orbital Park in Ashford, the Tomtom thinks 2 of the roads leading directly there from J10 /M20 are HGV restricted so it tries to send me (and I did believe it, the first time) on a tour through residential zones. The roads appear purple on its map but there are no signs on them indicating any limits - one of them even comes off directly from the M-way.

On other occasions it will see certain roads or parts of them as ‘private’ - usually purpose built roads that lead into industrial estates and will again try to send you around. In addition, it has no idea (even with latest map/software updates) what the heck is going on on the A14 (the part they’re building now), it will show roads as closed (certain part of A1) and closed roads - as open (like A1198 this weekend).

This is where Google maps comes handy (which btw also saw the same part of A1 as closed but it wasn’t).