Tipper Driving

windrush:
Are you trying to outdo Bewicks thread with dozens of pics of the same vehicle Dan? :laughing:

Pete.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: no puddles under mine though Pete .

A spot of barrow work round the boxes, Staythorpe By-pass, near Newark, Summer of 97. Pic taken by my old running mate Ray Gould who had the sister truck to mine.

Pete.

Punchy Dan:

Dan, that’s a great shot of your motor working there. That street reminds me of my friends house around Morley/Ilkeston. I enjoy visiting up there, great country pubs too. A nice part of the U.K.

Paul

Cheers Paul I am not too far from Morley just out in the sticks a bit ,you can’t miss my house it looks like rush green around the back :laughing:

12801486_1134052713301824_2778885051894258961_n.jpgj
12742157_1132451523461943_1205740618915629625_n.jpg
11008065_935998656440565_2401267583337035238_n.jpg
Going going gone

You could get a fair lean on with twin rams, real arse clenching at times! :laughing: Makes me laugh when I see folk advising new drivers; “Make sure the truck is level before tipping” nowadays, we had to tip six and eight leggers on all manner of inclines and halfway in ditches etc and never bothered too much about the thing falling over even though the rams sometimes jammed on the collars and the body wouldn’t drop!:roll: The late Fred Brownlee taught me too just get the body up as fast as possible tipping stone across a slope and it will never fall over as the load will shift before that happens, don’t worry about the material going over the taildoor etc but just get the load out quickly. Trouble was that Fred used to do the same when tipping tarmac into pavers, he didn’t exactly endear himself to some of the gangs and one day he shot a load of black up in a temporary depot at Lower Brailes and it came out so fast (he had dieseled the body floor!) that it missed the bay completely! :open_mouth: Most of it ended up in a field behind and I had to go out with another load for them! :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:
You could get a fair lean on with twin rams, real arse clenching at times! :laughing: Makes me laugh when I see folk advising new drivers; “Make sure the truck is level before tipping” nowadays, we had to tip six and eight leggers on all manner of inclines and halfway in ditches etc and never bothered too much about the thing falling over even though the rams sometimes jammed on the collars and the body wouldn’t drop!:roll: The late Fred Brownlee taught me too just get the body up as fast as possible tipping stone across a slope and it will never fall over as the load will shift before that happens, don’t worry about the material going over the taildoor etc but just get the load out quickly. Trouble was that Fred used to do the same when tipping tarmac into pavers, he didn’t exactly endear himself to some of the gangs and one day he shot a load of black up in a temporary depot at Lower Brailes and it came out so fast (he had dieseled the body floor!) that it missed the bay completely! :open_mouth: Most of it ended up in a field behind and I had to go out with another load for them! :laughing:

Pete.

I never got used to having a good lean on, it had the same effect every time. Overfilling the pan or dropping a lump in front of the blaw knox was a thing you would avoid at all costs, I left 1/2 a ton in front when I left company with the machine, I was still getting stick off them 6months later

6A1BB128-C06E-40D9-831E-F67FD3CC46EC.jpeg

Kempston:

Used to see them regularly in the quarries n pits leics. Green n cream? biggish fleet I seem to think

coomsey:

Kempston:

Used to see them regularly in the quarries n pits leics. Green n cream? biggish fleet I seem to think

They did a lot of coal too, always had a nice modern fleet.

A34C8694-9F73-4229-BC15-24F6622983BE.jpeg

Kempston:

coomsey:

Kempston:

They did a lot of coal too, always had a nice modern fleet.

Green n nearly cream :smiley: I can’t recall what they ran in the 70s, Volvo 88/86 n Leylands? Like you say Kempston always tidy. Cheers Paul

0012232172a30cd71c17074d45a8e487.jpg
Nmp

■■?nmp

This old fella looks up to the job! Anyone know engine /box

coomsey:

Hi Coomsey, This Albion was built by The Albion Motor Car Co Ltd, Then They were renamed Albion Motors in 1930, Ive looked at several infos but sadley what you are looking for isnt available, But I will keep searching as I find this sort of stuff really interesting, Thanks for posting it, Regards Larry.

coomsey:

TruckNetUK Old Time Lorries,Tipper Driving,Page 12,Coomsey,Sunday,22nd April,2018. VALKYRIE

Hello Coomsey :slight_smile:

Mack.An American-built Mack,and a strange one at that! TruckNetUK Old Time Lorries,Tipper Driving,Page 12,Coomsey,Tuesday,17th April,2018:-

.Mack.An American-built Mack,and strange one at that! TruckNetUK Old Time Lorries,Tipper Driving,Page 12,Coomsey,Tuesday,17th April,2018.1.jpg

The ‘1926’ date on the caption is wrong.I think this Albion lorry model had a 4-speed 1 reverse gearbox.Engine options were:-
Albion EN80D 6.97-Litre Petrol.
Albion EN85 7,81-Litre Petrol.
Gardner 5LW Diesel-Oil.
Gardner 6LW Diesel-Oil.

The Albion R549 was the normal control-bonneted version of the R559.

Albion R559,Forward Control,12-13 Ton,Tipper-Bodied,6x2 or 6x4 Lorry,1935-1938,Hudson’s Coal.TruckNetUK Old Time Lorries,Tipper Driving,Coomsey,Sunday,22nd April,2018:-

VALKYRIE

VALKYRIE:

coomsey:

TruckNetUK Old Time Lorries,Tipper Driving,Page 12,Coomsey,Sunday,22nd April,2018. VALKYRIE

Mack.An American-built Mack,and a strange one at that! TruckNetUK Old Time Lorries,Tipper Driving,Page 12,Coomsey,Tuesday,17th April,2018:-

The ‘1926’ date on the caption is wrong.I think this Albion lorry model had a 4-speed 1 reverse gearbox.Engine options were:-
Gardner 5LW Diesel-Oil.
Gardner 6LW Diesel-Oil.

Albion R559,Forward Control,12-13 Ton,Tipper-Bodied,6x2 or 6x4 Lorry,1935-1938,Hudson’s Coal.TruckNetUK Old Time Lorries,Tipper Driving,Coomsey,Sunday,22nd April,2018:-

VALKYRIE

Thanks VALKYRIE. I can’t imagine what the Mack was used for but must have been lucrative to go to all that trouble.
Couldn’t half fancy a run in the Albion! Anyone know about Hudsons?

coomsey:

VALKYRIE:

coomsey:

The ‘1926’ date on the caption is wrong.I think this Albion lorry model had a 4-speed 1 reverse gearbox.Engine options were:

Gardner 5LW Diesel-Oil.
Gardner 6LW Diesel-Oil.

VALKYRIE

Thanks VALKYRIE. I can’t imagine what the Mack was used for but must have been lucrative to go to all that trouble.
Couldn’t half fancy a run in the Albion! Anyone know about Hudsons?

I have seen a You Tube video of a vehicle similar to the Mack. They were used for domestic solid fuel deliveries in some areas of the USA. Some houses had gravity feed anthracite boilers and the tippers could deliver direct into a storage hopper just outside the house which fed direct into the boiler which would probably be in an attached outhouse or cellar.

Tyneside