Tipper Driving

coomsey:
Bet the home owners don’t know what n why to this day. S39 transmission brake very iffy! I pulled up n parked in Banbury n hopped out to stroll down to the laying gang n the old gal was following me!! Always left her in gear after that. Had one on for Trev Glover n they’d rigged summat up so second steer brakes came on with it, sorted.
[/quote]

With the transmission handbrake lever pulled fully on air was supplied to the front axle/axles brake chambers by a valve on the lever pivot as part of the secondary braking system, when the lever was just left in the parking position the air supply was no longer supplied and it relied solely on the handbrake drum alone. I reckon Glover’s adjusted the handbrake valve to keep the air there all the time the brake was on, not a bad idea as holding 30 tonnes on a single brake usually soaked in diff oil wasn’t ideal!

Pete.

windrush:

coomsey:
Bet the home owners don’t know what n why to this day. S39 transmission brake very iffy! I pulled up n parked in Banbury n hopped out to stroll down to the laying gang n the old gal was following me!! Always left her in gear after that. Had one on for Trev Glover n they’d rigged summat up so second steer brakes came on with it, sorted.
[/quote]

With the transmission handbrake lever pulled fully on air was supplied to the front axle/axles brake chambers by a valve on the lever pivot as part of the secondary braking system, when the lever was just left in the parking position the air supply was no longer supplied and it relied solely on the handbrake drum alone. I reckon Glover’s adjusted the handbrake valve to keep the air there all the time the brake was on, not a bad idea as holding 30 tonnes on a single brake usually soaked in diff oil wasn’t ideal!

Pete.

I bow to your knowledge Pete, it did the job she never followed me for a walk. It sort of makes me wonder why they fitted them? To my non mechanical mind it doesn’t look right, holding back 30t with such a small bit of kit! Had them on R 45/50 Terex dumpers n they didn’t work on them either. Cheers Paul

95269ff1c03679120eb4e0f346793367.jpgLittle bit of rock n roll with this gal I reckon

Going back to say 1975 , who do you think built the best and worst 8 wheeler tippers in your opinion up to then ?

ramone:
Going back to say 1975 , who do you think built the best and worst 8 wheeler tippers in your opinion up to then ?

Foden has to be up there with the best, a strong but light chassis/cab but not quite as good off road as something like a Scammell Routeman which also had a good payload. Atkinsons were too heavy in my opinion, in 1975 you really needed a 20 tonne plus payload running at 30.50 tonnes gross and I don’t know if the likes of AEC/Leyland or ERF could manage that with their eight leggers as I had no experience of them? Foden and Leyland seemed the most popular in the Peak District area at that time though.

Pete.

windrush:

ramone:

Foden has to be up there with the best, a strong but light chassis/cab but not quite as good off road as something like a Scammell Routeman which also had a good payload. Atkinsons were too heavy in my opinion, in 1975 you really needed a 20 tonne plus payload running at 30.50 tonnes gross and I don’t know if the likes of AEC/Leyland or ERF could manage that with their eight leggers as I had no experience of them? Foden and Leyland seemed the most popular in the Peak District area at that time though.

Pete.

I expected Foden with a 180 Gardner would have been the first choice because they seemed to be everywhere , followed by ERF and Atki with the same engine

Anything with a 180G in was popular my way, I’d go for Foden S39/80 the box made the difference. Purely on personal choice Mammoth Major, sharp, reliable n most important a heater that worked. F86but never drove one worst luck. Worst I drove Seddon n Guy both for short periods. Very worst Akky 180G with D B 8sp, I know Pete!!■■
Jacked over that one

ramone:
I expected Foden with a 180 Gardner would have been the first choice because they seemed to be everywhere , followed by ERF and Atki with the same engine

Probably so, Gardner engines still ruled the ‘premium chassis’ builders back then. Good fuel and light weight as well. I don’t think there were any ‘bad’ eight wheeler tippers back then as most were built for that task and it was mainly down to operator choice and the type of work they were doing. Scammell seemed the most popular for muck shifting, a good back end and a simple no frills cab that was easy to repair with a fibreglass kit! Locally Barlow and Hodgkinson were all Foden, whereas W.H Phillips favoured Leyland and Atkinsons, Tilcon at that time were 100% Foden, Tarmac had a bit of everything! Local dealerships played a big part as well, for Foden Sandbach wasn’t far away plus there were several sub agencies in the area and Kays at Derby and Doveholes were a large Leyland Group dealership. M.A.N were making an impact as well, they had an agent near Derby (Kniftons) and firms like Slinter Mining at Cromford moved over from Fodens to MAN’s entirely by the late 70’s as did some smaller companies like Bill Wood at Kniveton and a few ‘one man bands’ who had previously been Foden users chose the German maker so they must have offered a good deal? Even Longcliffe quarries bought a couple of MAN’s in a largely Foden and a few Scammell fleet but no more were purchased so I guess they didn’t suit their work?

Pete.

I’ve mentioned this before, from memory my way 50/60s Octopus ruled the roost then sometime near late 60s Foden, ERF n Akky started to take over. Why? Price,Gardner engine,Ergo poor or something else?

I reckon Foden’s eventual downfall was the fact that virtually everything except for electrics was manufactured in house . They had their own foundry for casting rear axles and gearboxes etc , while erf and Atkinson bought a lot of standard parts in ,probably cheaper . Foden’s workforce was huge , with wages being a large consideration . They never moved on from the days of making steamers until Paccar took over . I loved going in there for repairs , see Harry Smith and get a free meal ticket for breakfast , dinner and tea if needed and the food was spot on in the canteen . Dave

What an oddosity! Did they have to fit the second ram cos somebody put the front one on upside down?

I think it is a three way tipper Paul.

Pete.

Indeed it is. You can see the side tipping bracket about a third of the way down the trailer.

Aaah! Is it normal to have the front ram upside down with a side tipper?

I’ve not seen that for many years , I think I mentioned early in the thread the old bmc tarmac tippers with that type of ram , but they were only 4 wheelers . Dave

rigsby:
Those Fodens of Sammies earned their corn . Buxton to Fleetwood , Fleetwood to Winnington , Winnington to Buxton loaded all the way , and double shifted into the bargain . the Hazel croft one was driven by Stuart ? , took it over from me when I got a new artic Foden with the ■■■■■■■ 290 . I only got that because I was the only driver with a class one licence . Dave

Bet it was like a breath of fresh air after the ex Staveley S39 pal! :slight_smile: what reg was the newer one?

BonkeyDollocks:

rigsby:
Those Fodens of Sammies earned their corn . Buxton to Fleetwood , Fleetwood to Winnington , Winnington to Buxton loaded all the way , and double shifted into the bargain . the Hazel croft one was driven by Stuart ? , took it over from me when I got a new artic Foden with the ■■■■■■■ 290 . I only got that because I was the only driver with a class one licence . Dave

Bet it was like a breath of fresh air after the ex Staveley S39 pal! :slight_smile: what reg was the newer one?

The ■■■■■■■ was gba520v Bonkey , hell that’s 39 years ago , now what did I have for breakfast ? A top motor , even after update to 38 tons it still pulled up from Wardlow Mires and over the top at 35mph . Dave

image.jpeg

Are you trying to outdo Bewicks thread with dozens of pics of the same vehicle Dan? :laughing:

Pete.