Job as tipper driver

Well i have been put onto a company that runs tippers, i was told he runs around a 100 wagons :open_mouth: (might be exaggerated a bit) and that he is always crying out for drivers.

so question No1 : why is he always crying out for drivers? is there something i should know?
No2 : what are your views on a tipper job for a newbie

Dirty job. Rat race.

Wouldn’t turn it down though if you get it.

totally agree its a rat race job , dirty mucky with little reward, okay if you like driving non stop all day but will eventually do you in…

I started off a year ago ,on tippers as my first lgv job .
only muckshift and delivering crushed rubble not quarry work . I enjoy it, ok it gets a bit muddy on the tips in wet weather ,but i dont mind a bit of â– â– â– â–  :wink: .

its a good start for a newbie ,doesnt suit everyone i suppose and i wouldnt want to do it for ever but its all good experience before moving onto other things .

cheers Mike

If you like getting s–t up to the eyeballs and flying round like a blue arsed fly then go for it, if you dont then dont …and the pay is rubbish. :open_mouth:

Hi mate
After passing my C test within a couple of weeks i got a job on nights running out of truckhaven Carnforth
Driving a tipper :smiley: and all went well at first i used to take a load from the quarry to the tarmac plant at salford then tip that and load up with tarac and Run to where ever the gang were working on the motor ways or on the roads in general …was taught all the old dodges like diesel sprayed in the tipper back Ect to stop it sticking :laughing: but then the weather started to get a bit cooler …Anyway to cut a long story short one night i had about 3.1/2 ton of the black stuff set hard in the back of the tipper I was there from 4am till 5.30 am with a pick and shovel trying my best to shift it at 5.30 am i gave up took the truck back to Carnforth phoned the boss and told him :open_mouth: the day after i could not even get out of bed so gave in my notice :frowning: … Never again :open_mouth: …
last week i was sent by an agent to Clive Hurt in Chorley just building site and landfill work was that totaly different I got covered in mud and Like Saaamon and UKthug say its a Rat race on the go all the time you have got to get the truck moving and keep it moving :open_mouth: But its a Job and You will either love or hate it but the tarmac side does take a bit of scill and be prepared for a bit of banter from your co workers at first :smiley:
All the Best Roy :wink:

I had a year or 2 on tippers, started out of the quarry moving sand and gravel to premix plants.
As said its a rat race and if you dont get on with the weighbridge man in the quarry expect all the ■■■■ jobs. i did a bit of tarmac and also stock feed in the winters. Its bad not work but if your on a load bonus which im guessing most are your constantly competing with others to get the good loads that pay. I could work a 6 day week and still not take home £400 but obviously that varies by company.
In my opinion its a good job to do if your stuck, but i quickly got fed up of constantly tear assin around to get the run count up. Im far happier now tootling down a motorway with my nice clean uniform on with no pressure on :sunglasses:

Yea you are right lee 27 Ha Ha like wacki races but not too bad in summer eh :wink: untill her in doors gets sick of the smell of tarmac /diesil /and land fill :open_mouth:

I’ve been toild I’ll get a ob doing tippers when I qualify- £350 a week was quoted.
Are you regulated by EC driving hours just the same as anyone else?

all driving is if its commercial as far as I know mate

Until recently I have always done tipper work.yes it’s dirty at times but the hours are regular and money has always been good.You are busy all day driving but I rather that than sitting in some rdc for four or five hours a day.
Give it a go just make sure your on level ground before you tip :exclamation: :wink:

Go and give it a go, if you’re looking for work you’ve nothing to lose & it’ll be experience for you. I’ve drove all sorts over the years from cattle trucks through to bulk tippers & general haulage/trunk work & now tippers again.
There’s good and bad employers running al sorts of trucks & if you find one who expects you to run bent you simply jack & move on or that’s what I’d do anyway.

My advice to you is to ask another longer serving driver for advice if you’re unsure of anything, don’t run over weight & only tip on level ground. If you’re on Tarmac, make the foreman aware you’re new to the job & ask him if you can tip in the pan & pull off instead of letting the machine push you until you get used to the job. It’s like everythnig else in life, it becomes easier with experience. I like it because I’m home in my own bed every night.

BB

Thought I’d bump this thread and agree with Basilbrush and say there are good and bad. My employers own their own quarries and tips so there’s not so much pressure as working for a subbie who’s running on (usually) hilarious rates.
I’ve done nothing else but tipper driving (for the same firm for over 11 years) and yes I work with teararses but I can plod along at 40 if I wish and nobody whinges (save a few drivers, most of which is banter). Don’t believe the snobbish talk about badly maintained vehicles either as we’ve made wagons last 15 years in good condition…aslong as you could double declutch you got on fine.
Oh, unless on tarmac, no 3 or 4 hour waits to tip/load.

give it a go or your never know i really enjoy it good money home every night decent truck what more could u ask for :smiley:

Medaluk:
Well i have been put onto a company that runs tippers, i was told he runs around a 100 wagons :open_mouth: (might be exaggerated a bit) and that he is always crying out for drivers.

so question No1 : why is he always crying out for drivers? is there something i should know?
No2 : what are your views on a tipper job for a newbie

who is it working for JKS

Hiya i’m new to the site as well, i currently drive tippers and agree with all the other posts, the golden rule i follow is stick to the speed limits or you will lose your licence, there are plenty of them that fly around but dont be sucked in by that, i’m currently looking for class 1 work so hopefully will be out of it soon. good luck with and remember dont be brow beaten.

stanners

Give it a go mate, I quite liked it. All good experience, and you’ll learn how to off-road too! :laughing:

Only tip on level ground, watch out for overhead danger, e.g. power cables, watch the bucket as it goes up, it’s not unusual for the load to stick on one side of the trailer.

Harry Monk:
Only tip on level ground, watch out for overhead danger, e.g. power cables, watch the bucket as it goes up, it’s not unusual for the load to stick on one side of the trailer.

Happydaze:
Give it a go mate, I quite liked it. All good experience, and you’ll learn how to off-road too! :laughing:

I’ve been doing it for a number of months now and you get to go to some tight spots and some rough roads/ tracks
:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Its all good experience chap. You never know you might even enjoy it :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Oops I forgot to say, when going off road always keep your fingers and thumbs out of the way of the steering wheel spokes.

Apologies if you knew that or it sounds obvious! :smiley: