Tipper Driving

tyneside:
I have seen a You Tube video of a vehicle similar to the Mack. They were used for domestic solid fuel deliveries in some areas of the USA. Some houses had gravity feed anthracite boilers and the tippers could deliver direct into a storage hopper just outside the house which fed direct into the boiler which would probably be in an attached outhouse or cellar.

Tyneside

Thanks Tyneside makes sense now. Better than our lot running up the path with bags on their back, hard men!

coomsey:

tyneside:
I have seen a You Tube video of a vehicle similar to the Mack. They were used for domestic solid fuel deliveries in some areas of the USA. Some houses had gravity feed anthracite boilers and the tippers could deliver direct into a storage hopper just outside the house which fed direct into the boiler which would probably be in an attached outhouse or cellar.

Tyneside

Thanks Tyneside makes sense now. Better than our lot running up the path with bags on their back, hard men!

Happy to help Coomsey! Up until the mid eighties I was one of those running up the path with a bag on my back. 10,000 ton a year at one point, kept you fit if nothing else!!
Tynesde

tyneside:

coomsey:

tyneside:

Tyneside

Happy to help Coomsey! Up until the mid eighties I was one of those running up the path with a bag on my back. 10,000 ton a year at one point, kept you fit if nothing else!!
Tynesde

Bludy hell Tyneside you earned your corn! I knew a few lads on the bags for N C B they loved it, not for me it would have killed an hoss

coomsey:

tyneside:

coomsey:

tyneside:

Tyneside

Tynesde

Bludy hell Tyneside you earned your corn! I knew a few lads on the bags for N C B they loved it, not for me it would have killed an hoss

Didn’t do the whole lot myself! That was the annual tonnage for two vehicles, with a driver and two labrourers on each. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

coomsey:

VALKYRIE:

coomsey:
This old fella looks up to the job! Anyone know engine /box

TruckNetUK Old Time Lorries,Tipper Driving,Page 12,Coomsey,Sunday,22nd April,2018. VALKYRIE

Hello Coomsey :slight_smile:

Mack.An American-built Mack,and a strange one at that! TruckNetUK Old Time Lorries,Tipper Driving,Page 12,Coomsey,Tuesday,17th April,2018:-

The ‘1926’ date on the caption is wrong.I think this Albion lorry model had a 4-speed 1 reverse gearbox.Engine options were:-
Albion EN80D 6.97-Litre Petrol.
Albion EN85 7,81-Litre Petrol.
Gardner 5LW Diesel-Oil.
Gardner 6LW Diesel-Oil.

The Albion R549 was the normal control-bonneted version of the R559.

Albion R559,Forward Control,12-13 Ton,Tipper-Bodied,6x2 or 6x4 Lorry,1935-1938,Hudson’s Coal.TruckNetUK Old Time Lorries,Tipper Driving,Coomsey,Sunday,22nd April,2018:-

VALKYRIE

Thanks VALKYRIE. I can’t imagine what the Mack was used for but must have been lucrative to go to all that trouble.
Couldn’t half fancy a run in the Albion! Anyone know about Hudsons?

feltfixer:

coomsey:

VALKYRIE:

coomsey:
This old fella looks up to the job! Anyone know engine /box

TruckNetUK Old Time Lorries,Tipper Driving,Page 12,Coomsey,Sunday,22nd April,2018. VALKYRIE

Hello Coomsey :slight_smile:

Mack.An American-built Mack,and a strange one at that! TruckNetUK Old Time Lorries,Tipper Driving,Page 12,Coomsey,Tuesday,17th April,2018:-

The ‘1926’ date on the caption is wrong.I think this Albion lorry model had a 4-speed 1 reverse gearbox.Engine options were:-
Albion EN80D 6.97-Litre Petrol.
Albion EN85 7,81-Litre Petrol.
Gardner 5LW Diesel-Oil.
Gardner 6LW Diesel-Oil.

The Albion R549 was the normal control-bonneted version of the R559.

Albion R559,Forward Control,12-13 Ton,Tipper-Bodied,6x2 or 6x4 Lorry,1935-1938,Hudson’s Coal.TruckNetUK Old Time Lorries,Tipper Driving,Coomsey,Sunday,22nd April,2018:-

VALKYRIE

Thanks VALKYRIE. I can’t imagine what the Mack was used for but must have been lucrative to go to all that trouble.
Couldn’t half fancy a run in the Albion! Anyone know about Hudsons?

part of samuel williams & john hudson group. dagenham dock

Were they a big fleet feltfixer? Long gone?
Used to run vermiculite out of Dagenham docks, up to a large aircraft hanger nr Burton on Trent. Unusual for dockers, no hanging around