Tipper Bodies

26 days ?

Tarmac duck:
26 days ?

Ok this thread done 25 days then .

Tarmac duck:
I think Boweld will build a Mucklight body if required. A close friend has one on Scania chassis for next month and two others were built about six months ago. This thread has been going on for some time is your gaffer going to make a decision soon ?

Six months ago? They must be starting to rust by now? :wink:
TD, my boss has toyed with changing the 8w for the last two years. First time the trade in offer was crap, and our Izusu was on its’ last legs, so that was replaced. Next the 6w’ work died off so was sold off and replaced with a grab. Now my wagon is starting to cost a few quid but the work for it is picking up again.

Muckaway:
Just seen a photo of a walking floor Hanson spec 8w, payload of 18.6t. I suppose if you’ve got guaranteed work for it it’s a good idea, but what’s it coming to when an aggregate wagon carries less than a muckshifter?

Was going to ask whether the walking floors on tarmac had taken off like they predicted. Anyone got any info on them?

Lightbulb:

Muckaway:
Just seen a photo of a walking floor Hanson spec 8w, payload of 18.6t. I suppose if you’ve got guaranteed work for it it’s a good idea, but what’s it coming to when an aggregate wagon carries less than a muckshifter?

Was going to ask whether the walking floors on tarmac had taken off like they predicted. Anyone got any info on them?

Slowly but surely the future they reckon. Health and safety bods will be happy. Still a good few years away. Will be ok with a good caring driver who likes to keep everything spotless…

The powers that be will have to raise mgw if they want those things, if an alloy walking floor can only carry 18 then you’ll be lucky to get 17 on a muck shifter.
The only benefit I can see is if you have a kind of scraper plate at the end, would help with sticky loads.
Talking of sticky loads, do these curved floor tippers actually make a difference? If stuff still sticks it means handball and not “jump into the nearest 360 and pull it out.”

dave_k:

Lightbulb:

Muckaway:

Slowly but surely the future they reckon. Health and safety bods will be happy. Still a good few years away. Will be ok with a good caring driver who likes to keep everything spotless…

I agree, it’ll be the H&S mob that’ll get their way eventually. To many moving parts to maintain in my opinion & def would’nt fancy a second hand one. How much are they new…Anyone?

if he is ready to buy I heard scantruck have a few ready to go with a Thompson or Abba body.
In my opinion the best 8 wheeler money can but

kr79:
if he is ready to buy I heard scantruck have a few ready to go with a Thompson or Abba body.

Cheers will have a look online.

kr79:

They might be the best of a poor overall lot!

Steering linkage = poor
Gear linkage = poor
Drop arm bushes = poor
Back end off a Leyland Octopus
Drum brakes designed before Leyland Octopus = v poor
Inter axle prop shaft angle to seep universal joints fail to often = poor
Exhaust brake = v poor/joke
No option for a proper engine brake in this day and age = v poor / FFS absolute joke
Fuel consumption quite good
Residual value probably about the best, but you pay more in the first place
Tare weight quite good, though you don’t get anti roll bars so combined with a narrow chassis they tend to roll on corners when pushed hard, but don’t push to hard if you’re on drums as you may need to stop!!

Moose

And the diff pinion issues !

Yes prop often ends up on the floor, pinion bearing fails shaft then snaps off!

A lot of firms round our way have had the drop arm modified and it cures the problem.
Brakes are poor compared to other makes but I’ve not heard of anyone having all these other problems and Scania is easily the most popular tipper in the area.
I’ve always been a Volvo fan myself and there’s a few firms that have only run volvos since the days of the f7 going to Scania

Yes I’m aware of the modification, machine out and fit a proper bearing like ERF we’re doing 30 years ago!
I’ve driven the G 450 eight wheelers and G440’s along with R 480 P380/450 and P420 red dots and will admit they are becoming more popular like you say, Volvo have had to many electrical faults along with higher tare weight and thirst for fuel and do seem to be losing ground at the moment, it could be that he competition are getting worse as Scania have not changed much for years, certainly the chassis,suspensions and brakes set ups

What you need on a tipper proven simple layout

kr79:

IT was called Foden.

Just seen a 65 plate FMX with Boweld body on the tip, the body was rusting already. :open_mouth:

Punchy Dan:

kr79:

IT was called Foden.

Much of my earlier tipper years were on them and I owned one.
Good on there Day but time moves on

Muckaway:
The powers that be will have to raise mgw if they want those things, if an alloy walking floor can only carry 18 then you’ll be lucky to get 17 on a muck shifter.
The only benefit I can see is if you have a kind of scraper plate at the end, would help with sticky loads.
Talking of sticky loads, do these curved floor tippers actually make a difference? If stuff still sticks it means handball and not “jump into the nearest 360 and pull it out.”

Re mgw, in 2012 was at a meeting of the "great & good " of the tipper world in the London area the aim was to lobby the “powers that be” for a mgw increase to 34/35 tonnes to offset all the extra crap that reduced payload(bearing in mind that most 8 wheelers are rated for 35/36 tonnes & some Mercs & Renaults 40 tonnes hence their use as volumetric mixers), as regards curved floors I think the reason is the shape adds strength to a lightweight body but you’re right cleaning out a sticky load is a pain, it’s ditching bucket & scrap out sideways on with the 360 it takes someone a bit better than me with a machine to do it !

It’s three weeks since we asked Daf to quote for a new wagon, and still heard nothing. Boss wont chase them as he says it makes you look desperate so they’ll put the price up.
Is it normal for a potential customer to be ■■■■■■ about?
If it was me I’d ask again and if there was no answer, I’d be off to MAN and Merc (automatics as standard :sunglasses: ), provided they don’t fit a No-Weld on its’ back. :wink: