Tipper Bodies

I thought that special steel HARDOX I think it is from Sweden or Norway light hard wareing

fuse:
I thought that special steel HARDOX I think it is from Sweden or Norway light hard wareing

It is light, hence why muckshifters’ payloads are still around 18.5t. When I was a plant op’ trainee in ‘98 the firm I worked for had M and N regarding MANS with those ribbed steel muck bodies that you used to see everywhere, they only carried about 18.5 and the MANS they now run carry about the same. It has to be down to Hardox when you consider all the junk being stuck onto chassis nowadays.
I spoke to a subbie yesterday who has a new CF Construction, with Loadmaster body. He said he can easily carry 19t which I think is bodybuilders’ poetic licence. I reckon 18.5 is nearer the truth.
A Smiths driver told me that he should carry 19t, having a Charlton Superlite but the Wraptor sheet and the rams that open the tailgate add about 250kg.
What about having a body built to muck spec with a steel floor and alloy sides?

Is that steel only produced in was it sweden or norway ■■?

Hardox has been around for years, forestry commission tipper trucks used to have it in the floors, never noticed it being especially light, I think the idea is you can use thinner stuff due to it being hard, alloy is still roughly a third the weight of steel

I’ve just seen the main benefit of under floor tipping gear; L. Townend have put a picture of British Tipper Trucks facebook page and the body is near vertical. Maybe underfloor with one of those Thompson Multimaster (curved floor) bodies is the way to go?

Moose:
Hardox has been around for years, forestry commission tipper trucks used to have it in the floors, never noticed it being especially light, I think the idea is you can use thinner stuff due to it being hard, alloy is still roughly a third the weight of steel

Alloys don’t seem to have the massive payload advantage that they once had, or by my observations they don’t.
Seen some Hanson 8wheelers with payload plates stating 19.2t :open_mouth: Christ our Daf carries that with a heavy duty steel body.
I’ve seen some alloy bodied trucks advertised on the net as “20t payload” like it’s a revelation.

The only thing good about an underfloor tipping gear is the speed it goes up at (often that’s the only reason the thing didn’t go over) these became more popular in the 1990’s when the 8 wheeler weights went up to 32 t, as the extra was supposed to go on the front
Having driven/repaired/fitted/built and fitted new 8 wheel tipper bodies with both set ups I can confirm the best set up is Edbro front end, and not the newer light weight Edbro rams now fitted to save a bit of weight, as these tend to flex more on uneven ground as basically the first stage of the ram is now the same diameter as the second stage on the non lightweight range!

No dates confirmed, but I’ve read that Hino Euro 6 will be arriving later this year, along with Sinotrucks. I’d like to try both of these but the low Arocs does look nice. I’ve never been attracted to Scania, maybe because the Scania ods around here are all into poncing them up. Good truck but I don’t see the point in spending loads on a badge when Daf or MAN do the same thing.

Moose:
The only thing good about an underfloor tipping gear is the speed it goes up at (often that’s the only reason the thing didn’t go over) these became more popular in the 1990’s when the 8 wheeler weights went up to 32 t, as the extra was supposed to go on the front
Having driven/repaired/fitted/built and fitted new 8 wheel tipper bodies with both set ups I can confirm the best set up is Edbro front end, and not the newer light weight Edbro rams now fitted to save a bit of weight, as these tend to flex more on uneven ground as basically the first stage of the ram is now the same diameter as the second stage on the non lightweight range!

We had two L reg Foden 3000 series 8 leggers with underfloor gear at Tilcon, they were plated as 32 tonners but our gaffer only ever ran them at 31.00, but I wasn’t keen on them to be honest. I only did a few loads with one but the sway on the body when tipping across a slope or on uneven ground was scary, my own similar truck with front mounted gear seemed a lot more stable. However the manufacturers of the gear (name escapes me) were confident that they were far less likely to tip over than front rams but I wasn’t convinced! As Moose says, they did tip rapidly so the load discharged faster, like a dumper really.

Pete.

Just seen a photo of a walking floor Hanson spec 8w, payload of 18.6t. I suppose if you’ve got guaranteed work for it it’s a good idea, but what’s it coming to when an aggregate wagon carries less than a muckshifter?

Fitted a lot of Harsh at one time, Drum also made some as did Edbro

Anyone know how long it should take to get a new truck quote back from a dealer? Boss has asked the local Daf dealer and heard nothing back and that was two weeks ago. He said JCB did similar when he bought our 3cx brand new.

It doesn’t matter what the normal time scale is for this, it would seem to be pertinent to be asking them if they are still interested in supplying the vehicle. It doesn’t really matter whether you asked for a particular chassis specification, tyre brand or a non standard body, they should still have rung to apologise for the delay caused by their suppliers. Maybe they have just got in a large order from someone wanting ten vehicles and they are more interested in that.

I agree with you Cav, I’ve heard some places do it to see how desperate or determined you are to get a new one. We tried a demo about 18 months ago but the worked dropped for the 8w so bought a used grab instead. I wonder if the salesman was a bit miffed we didn’t go ahead? Daf are on our doorstep but within 15 minutes drive are also MAN and Mercedes. A bit reluctant to go for MAN partly because they’re heavy and also the dealer is the one we bought our Isuzu new from. Their aftersales was crap.
Body-wise, boss likes Thompson (so do I) but we’ve heard of long build times.

we have thompsons on the new grabs , not as good as the massey bodies before to be honest

d4c24a:
we have thompsons on the new grabs , not as good as the massey bodies before to be honest

The boss and me have both wondered who would want those Thompson bodied Ivecos; The bodies are huge, customers would think you were conning them by taking half loads. I know Docwra have them for split loads and carrying cones etc, but it must affect resale values. That and the fact they’re Ivecos! :laughing:

they are no good for our work :unamused: long low bodies on a long wheelbase is what we need , stone at the back, temp tar at the front and muck in the middle , 33 of the useless things with single extension HMF cranes that are ■■■■■ , had two tailboards burst open tipping up after grabbing of half a load of stone off, bent the locking bar round , never did it on any of the massey bodies :question:

Sounds like someone with no knowledge of the job ordered those then. I’ve never seen such big bodies on a grab wagon.
The loss of Docwra must’ve been a big blow to Masseys, I haven’t seen many tippers with their bodies apart from ex Docwra ones.

I think Boweld will build a Mucklight body if required. A close friend has one on Scania chassis for next month and two others were built about six months ago. This thread has been going on for some time is your gaffer going to make a decision soon ?

Tarmac duck:
I think Boweld will build a Mucklight body if required. A close friend has one on Scania chassis for next month and two others were built about six months ago. This thread has been going on for some time is your gaffer going to make a decision soon ?

Only 26 days ,I’ve been chewing thoughts over for yrs on some things :unamused: