Tipper Body Manufacturers, opinions?

In my experience, Thompsons are too heavy, I’ve been told a new MAN 35.400 with a Loadmaster will only carry just over 18t. Fruehauf look plain ugly and appear cobbled together. Bowelds’ and Wilcox steel ones appear to rust after two or three years. Does anyone know of an alloy body builder that makes them strong enough for muckshifting and occasional rubble haulage? I’ve seen Kelbergs’ do what looks like a Loadmaster made from alloy (I know Thompsons do the Sandmaster). We do an equal mix of muck/aggregates and if my boss replaces my CF he’d like it to carry 19t or more (mine carries 19200 even with a Thompson Loadmaster).

Swadlincote Aluminuim make good bodies ,6 inch runner with 6 inch gap before the next one and a 10 mm floor with 6 mm sides .

Thompson are however the rolls Royce of tipper bodies.
Charlton superlite is a decent steel body not sure on weight.

kr79:

Smiths 63 plate MANs get 19t on, just. They’ve just took delivery of a CF Construction with a Superlite, will be worth seeing what it carries. They have a CF Construction with an alloy Wilcox with a body liner that takes 19700, I think that’s pretty impressive (by modern standards).
Kev I’ve seen Einig have an Aliweld on muckshifting, has your old chap driven it?

Punchy Dan:
Swadlincote Aluminuim make good bodies ,6 inch runner with 6 inch gap before the next one and a 10 mm floor with 6 mm sides .

Cheers Dan, that might interest my boss as our old 6w had an alloy muck/agg body with twin 8mm floors, can’t recall how thick the sides were though.

I think alloy bodies are only good for sand and gravel etc. For some reason soil and muck always stick in on alloy floors. Boweld taper light would be my choice.

Tarmac duck:
I think alloy bodies are only good for sand and gravel etc. For some reason soil and muck always stick in on alloy floors. Boweld taper light would be my choice.

The Taperlite is getting very popular around here. Do you know much about Bowelds’ Aggrelite? Been around a while and not seen many new trucks with one for a while now. Apparently, the Abba Predator is meant to be the lightest but I haven’t seen many around.

Muckaway:

kr79:

Smiths 63 plate MANs get 19t on, just. They’ve just took delivery of a CF Construction with a Superlite, will be worth seeing what it carries. They have a CF Construction with an alloy Wilcox with a body liner that takes 19700, I think that’s pretty impressive (by modern standards).
Kev I’ve seen Einig have an Aliweld on muckshifting, has your old chap driven it?

He hasn’t mentioned it.
I think all trucks are suffering from putting on weight with all the extra crap on them.

kr79:

Muckaway:

kr79:

He hasn’t mentioned it.
I think all trucks are suffering from putting on weight with all the extra crap on them.

Euro6 gubbins, and the “cyclist package” should add over 500kg to the tare weight compared to non euro6/cyclist killer trucks.

It’d be interesting to know what those rear underrun bars weigh, I doubt the side guards weigh a lot (although we’ve removed them from our 7.5tonner). Steel bodies are getting smaller on some tippers to get the weight back, but all the E6 exhausts must weigh 250kg on their own?
On general deliveries, payload isn’t critical because we sell by the load even when buying stone etc, it’s when we’re charged by the load at the tip that we want the maximum on the truck.

Just spoke to my dad Nathan said the euro 6 scania with a Thompson with under floor rams is 13300 however the same with front ram is 12800

Wow that under floor gear is heavy, I have never seen the attraction, it must be stability I guess.

kr79:
Just spoke to my dad Nathan said the euro 6 scania with a Thompson with under floor rams is 13300 however the same with front ram is 12800

It seems Scania are the only manufacturers keeping tare weights down then. 19200 with a Loadmaster is pretty good, that 06 Scania used to drive had a Loadmaster and that carried 19600.

My mate has just had a new volvo with a Townend Samson steel body, not sure of his tare, but another lad up our way has got a short wheel base 08 Scania R cab sleeper with the same body, that is taring in at 12.20, and they look a nice body

ltownendltd.co.uk/

jimmy2loads:
My mate has just had a new volvo with a Townend Samson steel body, not sure of his tare, but another lad up our way has got a short wheel base 08 Scania R cab sleeper with the same body, that is taring in at 12.20, and they look a nice body

ltownendltd.co.uk/

Thanks for that, it sounds good that you can specify floor and side thicknesses. I think a 4mm floor is only good for aggregates, but a 6mm floor and 3mm sides sounds about right, with 14 or 15m3 volume.

Tarmac duck:
Wow that under floor gear is heavy, I have never seen the attraction, it must be stability I guess.

Never been a fan I’ve always thought of it as trying to pick a loaded wheel Barrow by the legs

Why’ve they got an underfloor then, Kev? Behind one of the sleeper cabs? I take it the light wagon has a Loadmaster Lite? That CF Construction demo we had had one, carried just 19t.

Guy who parks next to me at night just took delivery of a spankers Merc Arocs with a Predator Ultimate body. Not put it on the weigh bridge yet, but he said he hopes it will carry 18.5!

:open_mouth:

Muckaway:
Why’ve they got an underfloor then, Kev? Behind one of the sleeper cabs? I take it the light wagon has a Loadmaster Lite? That CF Construction demo we had had one, carried just 19t.

They was a canceled order not sure think it’s a load master I’m seeing my dad Sunday so il try and remember to ask

Jeez, i thought 20T pay was the “norm/standard”.

I thought everyone on bulk/tipper work was paid by the tonne so every kg was importnt.