Thieving Barstewards

robroy:

Adonis.:
30 sheets for the privilege of getting your load done over? Bargain.

Sometimes I have to use services, I just don’t pay for them. :laughing: why would you when this happens?

A.

Exactly!
Even taking out the (lack of) security aspect out of the equation, how can they justify 30 pounds to park for 11, or even worse 9 hours?..they can’t/won’t as they don’t have to. :smiling_imp:

I can understand the guys who are actually told by their firms to park at these places, but Snap or not, why tf would you?
Ok, not so much as a one off when nothing else, but on a regular basis as a FIRST option.? :open_mouth:

It certainly won’t be for the ‘Excellent Cuisene food’’ provided by [zb] Burger King and the like. :unamused:

We use MSA’s nearly all the time, firm has no problem with the expense of them and want the vehicle and driver to be “safe”, we are empty 90% of the time, there are some that do have decent grub and head for them ones, free food always tastes better, don’t do “extra” as they don’t give the driver anything.
Companies that won’t pay parking outnumber companies that do, and far happier parked in an MSA than in a layby or industrial estate as it takes the responsibility of the load/diesel out of my hands.
To add, in 30 years I have never had a load tampered with or diesel stolen.

Yet again another high value load, put into a curtain sider, when will company’s learn, put it into a box, use fridges, or make the job do-able in your hours so the vehicle is empty.

biggriffin:
Yet again another high value load, put into a curtain sider, when will company’s learn, put it into a box, use fridges, or make the job do-able in your hours so the vehicle is empty.

Limits your back loads though.
Services should have security on and the Police should take these crimes seriously.

ajt:

biggriffin:

Services should have security on and the Police should take these crimes seriously.

Agree. The reason we run tilts, back, side or top loading. Having said that though, around 50% of what we carry is bulk aggregate, any thief wanting to handball 30t of rocks is welcome to have a go…

biggriffin:

Fridges and boxes are not as secure as people think a decent set of bolt croppers will get through the majority of padlocks or seals and as for Spanish locks the French police will tell you the people smugglers have keys to them so no reason why criminals in the UK won’t have them either

ajt:

biggriffin:

Come on police take this crime seriously they put signs up tell you thieves operate in the area what more do you want

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mazzer2:

biggriffin:

Fridges and boxes are not as secure as people think a decent set of bolt croppers will get through the majority of padlocks or seals and as for Spanish locks the French police will tell you the people smugglers have keys to them so no reason why criminals in the UK won’t have them either

We use bulldog locks, and thieves want easy prey, a curtain is easier to cut silently, and as for restriction on back loads, you can get most pallitised in a fridge, cars tractors, and 1 tonne bags,

High value loads should be transported in box trailers or fridges, or at least shouldn’t be taken on unless the driver can go from A to B within his hours and if not then the company should arrange secure parking while en route.
It’s silly season with the run up to Christmas and companies are increasing their transport requirements, parking a truck with a high value load in a lay-by or other non secure parking area is inviting thieves.

Grumpy Dad:
High value loads should be transported in box trailers or fridges, or at least shouldn’t be taken on unless the driver can go from A to B within his hours and if not then the company should arrange secure parking while en route.
It’s silly season with the run up to Christmas and companies are increasing their transport requirements, parking a truck with a high value load in a lay-by or other non secure parking area is inviting thieves.

Can see your point but its not always feasable. Long haul across europe you can end up stopping anywhere and will always run outside daily hrs. I do the same run week in week out so know exactly where ill overnight but not the case for most…

AndrewG:

Grumpy Dad:

Can see your point but its not always feasable. Long haul across europe you can end up stopping anywhere and will always run outside daily hrs. I do the same run week in week out so know exactly where ill overnight but not the case for most…

I was thinking more domestic national runs, but yes your right about European runs, we run anywhere in Europe even into the old eastern bloc, so our runs are varied and finding parking after 5pm in Europe is almost impossible and with a running fridge it’s even harder, we do have set points for some runs using the DKV safe parking network, but if loaded and there’s no safe available it’s on a service station forecourt, something you can’t get away with in the uk

biggriffin:

Mazzer2:

biggriffin:

We use bulldog locks, and thieves want easy prey, a curtain is easier to cut silently, and as for restriction on back loads, you can get most pallitised in a fridge, cars tractors, and 1 tonne bags,

You don’t see it so much now, but once it was commonplace for box vans and fridge trailers to park back to back overnight to prevent theft through back doors.
If boxes limit backloads as suggested, walking floors are maybe the way forward for versatility and to make theft more difficult.
My mate does woodwaste, and loads palletised back.

In fact, until then it never even occured to me that you put palletised in a WF trailer. :blush: :unamused: :smiley:

robroy:

biggriffin:

Mazzer2:

biggriffin:

You don’t see it so much now, but once it was commonplace for box vans and fridge trailers to park back to back overnight to prevent theft through back doors.
If boxes limit backloads as suggested, walking floors are maybe the way forward for versatility and to make theft more difficult.
My mate does woodwaste, and loads palletised back.

In fact, until then it never even occured to me that you put palletised in a WF trailer. :blush: :unamused: :smiley:

It’s very entertaining watching a walking floor unload a load of palletised water, especially when the fork lift driver speaks to the driver, losses concentration, and whoops pallet of water pops out onto the floor, and yes it was a green style lorry.

AndrewG:

toonsy:

robroy:
What was in the boxes mate?
How the hell did you not hear anything, or more so feel movement in your trailer?
Maybe it’s just me as I’m a light sleeper and get woke up most nights at the slightest noise.
Beaconsfield services :smiling_imp: …and how much did you pay to park at that crap hole for the pleasure of their zero security. :unamused:

It was £30 the other day

£30 for parking?? Its certainly increased since i was in the UK. Being described as a crap hole suggests it hasnt improved with age either…

I’m not sure beconsfield services can really be described as a crap hole something like 5 food outlets inc a carvery and a pub most don’t like the EXTRA services as you get no meal voucher .last time I was there it was £23 but that was 18 months ago . It’s not my choice of parking but hardly a crap hole .

R.D:
I know someone who was parked up in membury services last week.
Woke up in the morning with a massive hole in his curtain ,
and 9 pallets of beer had been taken. Didn’t hear or feel a thing.

Seems Membury is the place to avoid then! Seems this one has only just come to light on the local rags site (copied/pasted article)…

Police are appealing for witnesses after a massive £20,000 worth of Irish whiskey was stolen from a lorry at an M4 service station.

The incident occurred on Sunday, October 16 at the M4 eastbound Membury services.

On the evening of Saturday, October 14, an articulated lorry had parked in the service station.

At 1am the following morning, the driver got out of his lorry and walked to the rear of the vehicle, where he had an altercation with three men.

Several boxes containing bottles of Irish whiskey had been removed from the lorry and placed in the rear of a long-wheel-based Transit van.

chester1:

robroy:
Beaconsfield services :smiling_imp: …and how much did you pay to park at that crap hole for the pleasure of their zero security. :unamused:

I’m not sure beconsfield services can really be described as a crap hole something like 5 food outlets inc a carvery and a pub most don’t like the EXTRA services as you get no meal voucher .last time I was there it was £23 but that was 18 months ago . It’s not my choice of parking but hardly a crap hole .

Ok mate, fair do.s, I was giving my general opinion on MSAs as a whole.
I must confess I have not sampled the delights of Beaconsfield, somebody has just told me there’s a Wetherspoons on there and I often eat in various Wetherspoons when I park in places myself,… so maybe it aint as bad as the more usual Maccy Ds and Burger King choices of dining.

I still stand by my opinion of 30 quid parking being a rip off though, especially as the security is apparentlly zero according to the o/p.

There’s a harvester on donington,which I visited on recommendation.
Actually…the food was quite good (certainly on a par with spewns)and it’s free.
However,it’s about £6 a pint!

Pay for the parking in the morning, if the trailers not damaged and still loaded, it shows the security works [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:
Pay for the parking in the morning, if the trailers not damaged and still loaded, it shows the security works [emoji23]

You know what? That’s a good point.
Only pay if your load and fuel is still intact in the morning to send out a message, as I’m sure all this on-site MSA crime must be pretty common.
I would imagine the bastds will have a disclaimer notice denying any responsibility, but I reckon if you asked to see the manager next morning, telling him you had ripped curtains with a couple of pallets gone walkabout, he/she would surely not have the cheek to demand 30 sheets off you for the privelige,…or am I giving them too much credit here.

robroy:

Wheel Nut:

Only pay if your load and fuel is still intact in the morning to send out a message, as I’m sure all this on-site MSA crime must be pretty common.
I would imagine the bastds will have a disclaimer notice denying any responsibility, but I reckon if you asked to see the manager next morning, telling him you had ripped curtains with a couple of pallets gone walkabout, he/she would surely not have the cheek to demand 30 sheets off you for the privelige,…or am I giving them too much credit here.

\Probably too much credit Rob, they would still most likely demand the £30 while pointing to the usual ‘we cannot take responsibility blah blah bollox’ ect signage…

robroy:

Wheel Nut:

Pretty sure everything is all worded up with no responsibility taken. On the same sign where they tell you you need to fork out a stupid amount for a few hours unsafe, noisy parking. I think the OP even said there wasn’t cctv.

On the plus side when you don’t pay some places will stick a little let’s pretend parking fine on the windscreen, the little plastic sleeve it comes in makes a good coaster.

A.