Robbed Again

Parked for the night last night in layby on A14 by Huntingdon.
Got up this morning, padlock gone, door just closed enough to catch.
Nothing taken, had a load of old rims on the back, but further up had 50 super singles, dont suppose they saw them in the dark.
Pity the old rims didnt fall of and get the ~~~~~~s. They were just thrown on as it was my last pickup and I was a bit wary of openind the doors myself.

Its amazing how nobody saw anything suspicious, must have been a few
night drivers up and down. Just lean on the horn would have done.

Cant nobody come up with an alarm system for box trailers, just sensors on the doors would surley do it.

This is my third, they must have my number for an easy touch.
All in virtually the same area. Full tank of diesel once, How the hell do they get that out without me hearing or anyone seeing?

mojo:
Parked for the night last night in layby on A14 by Huntingdon.
Got up this morning, padlock gone, door just closed enough to catch.
Nothing taken, had a load of old rims on the back, but further up had 50 super singles, dont suppose they saw them in the dark.
Pity the old rims didnt fall of and get the ~~~~~~s. They were just thrown on as it was my last pickup and I was a bit wary of openind the doors myself.

Its amazing how nobody saw anything suspicious, must have been a few
night drivers up and down. Just lean on the horn would have done.

Cant nobody come up with an alarm system for box trailers, just sensors on the doors would surley do it.

This is my third, they must have my number for an easy touch.
All in virtually the same area. Full tank of diesel once, How the hell do they get that out without me hearing or anyone seeing?

Shame there was no others parked up cos you could get one to park on your doors so no-one can look inside.

Having said that, some of these gits are pro"s and thats why you lost your derv.

I have a padlock on the back of my fridge, when the gaffer loads it he allways clips the padlock on the outside, i tell him to clip it under this cover flap{those that pull gray & adams fridges will know what i mean} then i think that at least your not advertising the fact that you’re locked up, not that it would stop someone determined anyhow. There just seems to be no way of keeping secure these days. I’ve been doing this for 16-17 years now i think its getting worse, but any of you who go back 20 -30 years, do you think this theft of trucks over night is worse than back when you started. Any of the main trunk routes are just such a risk to park on.
May be you need some kind of security lamp over your back doors, so when the handle gets lifted from its cradle the lights come. :question:

I remember reading about a trip wire device that set off a blank 12 bore cartridge. Now if that could be rigged to the trailer doors it would wake the driver and frighten the crap out of the lowlifes. Can get them from gun shops if I remember correctly. Just a thought

knight:
I remember reading about a trip wire device that set off a blank 12 bore cartridge. Now if that could be rigged to the trailer doors it would wake the driver and frighten the crap out of the lowlifes. Can get them from gun shops if I remember correctly. Just a thought

Good idea but the consequences may be a bit dodgy. Police get involved and the poor old driver gets it as always :confused:

This is a perfect example of why there should be more truckstops at reasonable prices, and the employers should be made to pay the parking fees. Nobody should have to park in a lay-by with no facilities :angry: :angry: :angry:
Regards
Trev

and the employers should be made to pay the parking fees.

I have to say,that ours do.But parking in an area that was paid for,never stopped one of our trailers getting stolen recently,and some of our drivers still park in lay-by’s,but me personally would NEVER do that,as I like a hot meal and a shower at the end of the day.

Ken.

My Wife has just come up with a great idea.

She said tie a piece of string on the door and then tie it to your big toe.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

mojo:

Good idea but, they may have their own scissors :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Which they nicked off the back of a lorry :confused:

mojo:

:open_mouth: Yeah PMSL, they yank the door open and you fly out of it, with a bit of string attached to your toe. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You can also buy a £1 door/window alarm in one of the cheap shops. They run on a battery and can easily be attached to any surface. When door opens a very loud noice will make sure you wake up and they’ll probably ■■■■ their pants.

Anyway, what’s so romantic about parking up in layby’s ?
Personally I think I’d be really paranoid parked up in a layby. I wouldn’t feel safe in such a place at all. But then, where are you safe these days ?
I certainly don’t feel safe in any MSA either. IF there are any security patrol at all, it’s most likely a frightened emigrant working for the bare nat. minimum wage who really couldn’t care less about what’s going on out there in the dark.
I actually find there’s far better patrolling going on in ind estates. You’d often see big blokes from various secutity agencies doing their rounds several times during the night, often they even bring their dogs ! I don’t know if they’d actually do something if they saw someone helping them selfes to a load but I think it’s does deter thiefs to stay away from these area. Well, I just feel safer in an ind est or somewhere out in the sticks than I do at an MSA, and I certainly wouldn’t feel safe in a layby.

■■
Jo

ive been the victim of a break in over in the states, my wallet and phone were taken and the drivers to ( i was a passenger) we were both asleep. im glad i was asleep to, the scum bags carry guns over there. :wink:
thankfully that does,nt seem the way overhere ,yet.
in my job no one is going to hijack my load, so i only have to worry about me. and i prefer to park in layby,s away from traffic etc.
i hate msa,s and avoid them if i can, trucks coming and going at all hours, i never get a wink of sleep… you often here of curtains slashed at msa,s. well i know its not nice to say but it seems the only people walking around at night on msa,s are other drivers.
the opportunist thief who patrol layby,s are looking for a quick earner.if they spot a padlocked trailer then they are going to have a better look. in the case above, maybe it would have been better to leave it unlocked or leave the door open (though its easy to say that in hindsite).
you determined pro thief on the otherhand will have your load wether your in a layby or msa, the only thing you can do is slow him down by means of a cab lock etc, but most pro thieves would rather take the truck whilst you are awake, in the cab with the keys.
i also reckon that some of these pro thieves hold hgv licences. theres no point in swiping a load of whatever if your getaway driver cant move the truck. and a lot of hijacks dont make the real driver drive. hes usually blind folded and ■■■■■■■. parking on industrial estates has some advantages as mentioned by jo, there is more security, but you do run the risk of getting clamped :wink: but on the other hand were would you go if you were a thief, the side of the a1 with lots of passing trucks or a quiet industrial estate.
another thing which has got me thinking. if you were going to break in to a truck just on the off chance , would you just pull up behind it in a layby and hope no one comes past. or would you have one of your scum bag mates sitting a mile back or so in another vehicle keeping an eye out on the traffic coming your way. just a thought.

All of dixons box trailers have fitted alarms which need akey to switch it on and off maybe you could have a look at them, they work when the unit is not attached too so they must have a battery somewhere on the trailer.

Maybe some poor sod needed a padlock :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

And Dave :exclamation: It’s been a while, so can you now tell me, the password to unlock this phone :question:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I do think that with a padlock on the back that it merely advertises the fact that you have a fairly valuable load on. But as has been said before, at least you have taken reasonable precautions to try and secure the load in the trailer.

I think that is about all you can do really.

You could off course always bring a few Rotweilers too :laughing: :laughing:

■■
jo

You could off course always bring a few Rotweilers too

The only problem with that,is the mother-in-law can’t be everywhere at once.

Ken.

Quinny:

Ken.

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!.. Naughty!!!

Quinny:

Ken.

Get her a Nimbus 2000 broomstick like the one Harry Potter has! :unamused: :blush: :smiley: