Robbed Again

What about these alarms made for sheds ?.
They run on batteries & could probably be easily modified to fit inside the doors so it goes off when the door is opened, they are not great,but it might just draw more attention than the thieving scum want.

daxi:
What about these alarms made for sheds ?.
They run on batteries & could probably be easily modified to fit inside the doors so it goes off when the door is opened, they are not great,but it might just draw more attention than the thieving scum want.

I think your right there Daxi, Jo mentioned these earlier in the post. I’m sure that in the stillnes of night they would make quite a racket, certainly enough to alert anyone.

its a bad area to park recently. although during xmas 03 they were gassing drivers in their cabs.
recently seen 2 trucks in same layby on seperate days, both with holes in the o/s curtain. the only way to get away with that is to park another hgv alongside giving the appearance its a night driver taking a break at a fully occupied layby. it hides what they’re doing, and if a driver was up and sees another hgv, he will probably go back to sleep.
best thing to do is block the layby entrance once its full(sorry night drivers).

personally, i leave the doors open whatever im carrying, nothing stolen and nothing cut in years. gives the impression it aint worth nicking.

interstingly, diesel and load theft dont count in the crime statistics, but taking the vehicle does. thats why the police arent bothered about it.

Or how about something like this from Index

cable lock and alarm 120 decibels siren activates if cable is cut.
It’s only £20 & if it helps you sleep esier thats good value.

CLICK HERE

It’s only £20

Just edited the link as it was stretching the page. L. :wink:

SMUDGER:
I do think that with a padlock on the back that it merely advertises the fact that you have a fairly valuable load on. But as has been said before, at least you have taken reasonable precautions to try and secure the load in the trailer.
I think that is about all you can do really.

Unfortunately, that`s not the way the insurance company would look at it, Smudger. They would try and wriggle out of paying because the trailer was not in a secure parking area - if such a thing exists :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Regards
Trev

mojo:
Cant nobody come up with an alarm system for box trailers, just sensors on the doors would surley do it.

They don’t need coming up with, they have been around for ages. All our box trailers have been fitted with alarms for at least the last 20 years.

daxi:
Or how about something like this from Index

cable lock and alarm 120 decibels siren activates if cable is cut.
It’s only £20 & if it helps you sleep esier thats good value.

CLICK HERE

It’s only £20

Just edited the link as it was stretching the page. L. :wink:

Aren’t Index finishing up?

I’m sure I heard that on the radio, the week before I left on my new job, for foreign fields.

Simon:
Aren’t Index finishing up?

I’m sure I heard that on the radio, the week before I left on my new job, for foreign fields.

AIUI, they were bought by GUS, who also own Argos. They were intending to close some of the Index places, and turn other into Argos stores. Since many of them are inside Littlewoods stores, it makes it difficult to turn them into Argos.

get yourself to focus do it all or whoever it is sells jml stuff.

they do a simple screw-on contact alarm where if the contacts seperate, a buzzer on the spot goes off. probably be able to run a nice thin wire inside the box itself to the bulkhead, through and into the cab that goes off if it’s opened.

the shotgun mines mentioned early on, up above used to be sold in bike magazines along with paint mines to cake the crims in bright paint that wouldn’t wash off for a week. bit of a pain though if you forgot to disarm it on yer morning walk-round :wink:

Better to get a wireless alarm if possible, so you don’t have to remember to disconnect it along with the suzies. Maplin have some portable PIR alarms which might be good, as they don’t require accurate mounting on the doors - you could stick one to the roof of the trailer where it’d be difficult for a thief to disable. The problem with a lot of the cheap portable security stuff is that if you’re asleep, and the alarm/siren is at the back of your trailer, then it might not wake you up before they manage to smash it up; therefore, mounting it out of easy reach would be a good idea.

I know we had back door alarms fitted when I was on for New Look, and that was on demountable rigids/wagon and drags…so a similar system shouldn’t be impossible on semitrailers.

These ones were powered through the extra electrical hook-up for an interior light in the box (we tipped through the night, then did collections the next day). They were wired into one of the spare switches in the (Scania) cabs, so we had to actively turn them on…a not always successful way of avoiding us waking up whole neighbourhoods at 2am… :blush:

So you have fitted an alarm to the back doors and wired it through to your cab??
Next night, the alarm goes off… what next please??
Do you leap out of bed like Superman and rush round to the back only to find three blokes with iron bars who beat the ■■■■■ out of you■■?
You wouldn’t get any thanks for that, would you!!!
Thursday evening, one of our guys was running up from Lyon. He was running out of time so for safetys sake, he went through the Peage at St. Omer and parked there. During the night, he felt someone get into the back of the trailer. As he said to me, he wasn’t going round to get beaten up. He just thought, shut the doors when you finished, its a chilled load lol. In the morning, the Peage was as usual swarming with Gendarmes and Douanes who then proceeded to climb all over the load leaving lovely big footprints over the yoghurt tops lol

The easiest thing would be a sensor wired to the horn and hazards,
same as my car. Simple,

TheBear:
So you have fitted an alarm to the back doors and wired it through to your cab??
Next night, the alarm goes off… what next please??
Do you leap out of bed like Superman and rush round to the back only to find three blokes with iron bars who beat the [zb] out of you■■?
You wouldn’t get any thanks for that, would you!!!
Thursday evening, one of our guys was running up from Lyon. He was running out of time so for safetys sake, he went through the Peage at St. Omer and parked there. During the night, he felt someone get into the back of the trailer. As he said to me, he wasn’t going round to get beaten up. He just thought, shut the doors when you finished, its a chilled load lol. In the morning, the Peage was as usual swarming with Gendarmes and Douanes who then proceeded to climb all over the load leaving lovely big footprints over the yoghurt tops lol

Just noticed that was my 600th Post :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

One day I was just collecting my paperwork from a ‘drop’ and the driver in front of me was getting his.

As the clerk started to write out a PCV he said, “I’ve got my pallets, I saw them put them on, on the T.V.”

Obviously he had some sort of camera mounted in his trailer with an R.F. link to the cab where he could tune a television to the frequency.

Has anyone heard of such a set up and the costs involved. Linked in with a PIR sensor, it would certainly eliminate the problem of false actuations. ENGINE ON, SELECT REVERSE.

Krankee:
As the clerk started to write out a PCV he said, “I’ve got my pallets, I saw them put them on, on the T.V.”

Obviously he had some sort of camera mounted in his trailer with an R.F. link to the cab where he could tune a television to the frequency.

Has anyone heard of such a set up and the costs involved. Linked in with a PIR sensor, it would certainly eliminate the problem of false actuations. ENGINE ON, SELECT REVERSE.

A lot of refuse wagons have them, a camera on the back with a small monitor
in the cab. especially what they call RELs, helps them back on to the REL skips