Them reels of paper that don’t need strapping

yourhavingalarf:
The MAN…

Is a new model. They have collision avoidance as standard and no way (as far as I’m aware) to turn it off.

So how come he’s ended up walloping matey boy up the back?

Possibly a bit of lane changing or wandering going on??
Or if, after the emergency system kicks in the driver actively brakes, and then eases off the brakes as the load moves??
The auto-brake, on some trucks but dunno about MANs, is over-ridden by driver input.
Or if road surface is contaminated or wet??
Or if it’s misty and cold the sensors won’t work because of condensation and frost on them. (No one thought to put heating elements there did they?..fools)

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Sorry, reels used to fall off 50 years ago as well.

i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j48 … 1330692335

Look i know i’m out of the loop re load security on new gen curtain siders, but i can’t see how you can secure upright reels without some form of mesh or an inner hanging curtain strapped between the reels to tension.
You cannot possibly put enough tension on upright reels strapping from the floor level without some form of strong purpose made curved corner boards/reel end cap/mesh/inner curtain, it just isn’t possible because the angles are all wrong, its also not likely for internals to be strong enough, they could but the roof corner and side posts would have to be reinforced to such an extent that then trailer would be twice its current weight.
So its obvious that some bugger will have to get their act together and come up with a proper way to secure these things, or they will have to go back to being carried on the roll, no exceptions.

Yes one can drive to the load, we’ve been doing so all of our working lives and it generally works out fine, but there is always the unexpected and let us not forget the heffelump in the room, some people behind the wheel of lorries are incapable of progressive defensive driving, driving a loaded vehicle as if it was empty regardless of whatever might be in the back or the current road and traffic conditions.

Agree with Elsa Lad, some of the tailgating bullying and pointless speed in the wrong places displayed by our brethren is the biggest issue here, and because they can’t help themselves doing so the next gen of electronic nannies to go into lorries will do it for them whether they like it or not, and they only have themselves to blame…MAN auto emergency braking cannot be switched off by the driver, and that is the tip of the coming electronic iceberg, next will be full time electronic travelling distance control as well as the already planned lane departure systems linked to the steering, all because the industry allowed fools behind the wheel who should never have been allowed anywhere near a lorry.

fingermissing:

trevHCS:
If curtains were clear or semi transparent it might help as curtains just hide the sins of those who don’t bother strapping.

What a great idea let’s the thief’s see what on the vehicle when parked up at night. Why
You have such great ideas why not have fuel tanks made of glass so the diesel faires
know whick tanks to go for.

If they were made of glass is ther not a chance a stone could break it,diesel all over the place, not a good idea

Cracks me up when people say the old bill and vosa are out to make money .

Get a life if you know what a balls ache it causes them the amount of paperwork then the prosecution etc
There ain’t enough plod to go around as it is let alone babysitting the motorways.

All they want is for drivers to do the job properly

nick2008:

Get a life if you know what a balls ache it causes them the amount of paperwork then the prosecution etc
There ain’t enough plod to go around as it is let alone babysitting the motorways.

:laughing: :laughing:
Cracks me up that you actually believe that :open_mouth: , (maybe you should ‘‘get a life eh?’’… for whatever reason you think that statement has relavance in this case. :neutral_face: )

Easy target policing is the policy today you can say wtf you like.
It’s the bobby on the ground that does the paperwork, the policies and agendas are set by their superiors, so they leave it for them to get on with it.

I’d love to see a (genuine) clampdown on drug dealers, burglaries, truck crime, and every other anti social problem, then even I would have respect for the Police… but that’s too much hard work for them, so the easier option is taken, again by their superiors, traffic, and with the added benefits of all the revenue raising that it brings.

nick2008:

There’s not too much paperwork when the driver takes the instant fine and three points, just print out a ticket and they are off after the next career criminal :blush: sorry driver who might take a swig of coffee at the wrong time :wink:

Grumpy Dad:
if the local tea leaves want to have a gander they’ll just ■■■■■ the curtains.

Exactly, they cut curtains even when the back doors are open so unlikely to make much difference. Probably not practical in reality, just musing.

No Malcolm, if it was glass that would be a hard slider not a a curtainsider! Unless you know of an ultra flexible non breakable glass,in which case Samsung ask if you can call them.

With regards the question of why people don’t strap properly or at all, genuine replies I’ve had include:

• Its never moved / fallen out in x years.
  • Boss (supervisor) said it’ll be ok.
  • Get moaned at if it takes too long.
  • I have to load unload x times a day / night.
  • I drive to the road conditions (they don’t!)
  • Its job and knock, and min of x hours pay
  • I’ll blag it if ever get stopped. :unamused:

Finally, regarding driving to the conditions. If trucks have auto collision, how can you drive to the conditions as we know those kick in randomly. If that brakes going round a corner as its done on me a few times, it doesn’t take into account how you strapped the load.

robroy:

nick2008:

:laughing: :laughing:
Cracks me up that you actually believe that :open_mouth: , (maybe you should ‘‘get a life eh?’’… for whatever reason you think that statement has relavance in this case. :neutral_face: )

Easy target policing is the policy today you can say wtf you like.
It’s the bobby on the ground that does the paperwork, the policies and agendas are set by their superiors, so they leave it for them to get on with it.

I’d love to see a (genuine) clampdown on drug dealers, burglaries, truck crime, and every other anti social problem, then even I would have respect for the Police… but that’s too much hard work for them, so the easier option is taken, again by their superiors, traffic, and with the added benefits of all the revenue raising that it brings.

Utter cobblers!
The police do crack down on drug dealers/truck crime/burglaries.
I suggest you follow you local police force on twitter/facebook to see what they do.

I follow essex police, and everyday they are nicking people for all of the above.

rambo19:
Utter cobblers!
Ma
I suggest you follow you local police force on twitter/facebook to see what they do.

I follow essex police, and everyday they are nicking people for all of the above.

I can not be arsed with either Twitter or Facebook,…as you say ‘‘utter cobblers’’ !
They’re hardly going to go on there and say ‘‘We’re losing the battle against drug dealers and burglaries, so we’re going for an easier target, so watch out motorists and truckers’’…are they ?. :unamused:

Maybe they should ‘‘crack down’’ a bit harder, and if there was actual evidence of it, I’d probably believe it, but I definitely do not see it in my area.
On the other hand I see plenty of evidence of their ‘‘crack downs’’ on drinking coffee at the wheel, and lucrative speed traps…not so much on A & B roads where it is more potentially dangerous, but definitely on Mways and D.carriageways with richer pickings.

Hi,
Don’t post on here really, but thought I’d try and clear this up a bit.
The load was strapped, with edge protectors. One strap over each reel. All the loads coming out of that mill get strapped. I don’t know what happened exactly (still trying to find out! :laughing: ) from what I can gather the driver was braking and swerving when he lost the load, it didn’t come off when he hit the wagon in front.
Goes to show just 'cos it’s strapped, don’t mean it’s safe.

generallee:
Hi,
Don’t post on here really, but thought I’d try and clear this up a bit.
The load was strapped, with edge protectors. One strap over each reel. All the loads coming out of that mill get strapped. I don’t know what happened exactly (still trying to find out! :laughing: ) from what I can gather the driver was braking and swerving when he lost the load, it didn’t come off when he hit the wagon in front.
Goes to show just 'cos it’s strapped, don’t mean it’s safe.

Even using ratchet straps, the reels can never be properly secured because they are offset and therefore always able to move towards the less vertical section of strapping. Of course, they could load fewer reels on each trailer, loading them centrally but somehow safety isn’t quite as important when it affects a paper manufacturer’s profits.

robroy:

rambo19:
Utter cobblers!
Ma

I can not be arsed with either Twitter or Facebook,…as you say ‘‘utter cobblers’’ !
They’re hardly going to go on there and say ‘‘We’re losing the battle against drug dealers and burglaries, so we’re going for an easier target, so watch out motorists and truckers’’…are they ?. :unamused:

Maybe they should ‘‘crack down’’ a bit harder, and if there was actual evidence of it, I’d probably believe it, but I definitely do not see it in my area.
On the other hand I see plenty of evidence of their ‘‘crack downs’’ on drinking coffee at the wheel, and lucrative speed traps…not so much on A & B roads where it is more potentially dangerous, but definitely on Mways and D.carriageways with richer pickings.

Your saying you have seen the police stop someone for drinking coffee?
How did you see it?

rambo19:

robroy:

rambo19:
Utter cobblers!
Ma

How did you see it?

Ok, I was referring to the Police tractor units, I was actually pulled myself, ok not for drinking but for glancing at my notes :unamused: , …You see them on the telly stopping truckers for drinking at the wheel, if you don’t accept that, then next time you see a one coming up beside you have a sip of your Costa…see what happens for yourself.

rambo19:

robroy:

rambo19:
Utter cobblers!
Ma

How did you see it?

When Starbucks opened a new shop on an industrial estate in Aberdeen, the traffic police activly parked there and fined drivers who sipped their coffee whilst leaving.

scottie0011:
When Starbucks opened a new shop on an industrial estate in Aberdeen, the traffic police activly parked there and fined drivers who sipped their coffee whilst leaving.

Yet…

Because there’s money in it, drive-thru (sic) coffee shops are appearing in many MSAs now. Car manufacturers build cup holders to put your mokkachokkaiddybiddyyuckymucky coffee in.

scottie0011:

rambo19:

robroy:

rambo19:
Utter cobblers!
Ma

How did you see it?

That was my whole point when Mr Stallone said I was talking crap !.., easy option/easy target policing. :bulb:

Maybe 200 yds up the road some poor ■■■■ was getting mugged, robbed or burgled, or some trucker woke up to find his fuel had been nicked on the very same ind est where that 2 hat was sitting in wait. :smiling_imp:

Juddian:
You cannot possibly put enough tension on upright reels strapping from the floor level without some form of strong purpose made curved corner boards/reel end cap/mesh/inner curtain, it just isn’t possible because the angles are all wrong, its also not likely for internals to be strong enough, they could but the roof corner and side posts would have to be reinforced to such an extent that then trailer would be twice its current weight.

I would have strapped the reels together first and then put a pallet upside down on top of each one so that I could strap them down firmly. I really I would want some empty pallets between the front one and the headboard to stop them from moving forward or at least something non-slip under them.

Santa:
[quote=“Juddian”

I would have strapped the reels together first and then put a pallet upside down on top of each one so that I could strap them down firmly. I really I would want some empty pallets between the front one and the headboard to stop them from moving forward or at least something non-slip under them.
[/quote]
Meanwhile, in the reel world…

(sorry, i could not resist the pun)

i only do paper reels now again as most trlsi pull are flats.but when i do i make sure the trl used in good enough for job proper solid side rails or with good deep rail under it so strap can stay on.as most have shallow ones and strap we use would pop off.plus i have good thick corner proctectors ive pick up over time other drivers just dump.none of these slim thin white ones that most people use as supplied by office.if i can not find a trl right for it then ill not do job as most of of trls have side skirts on so can not get chassis either to use that.