Them reels of paper that don’t need strapping

Juddian:
How things have worsened despite all thw technology rules regs box ticking training vosa dcpc etc.
Back in the day, those reels would have been on the roll, two or three layers high, back scotched, sheeted over and roped between the reels to pull the sheet down tight, then fly sheet over, you couldn’t shift the buggers even if you rammed your non autobraked abs stability controlled drum braked wagon up the arse of the vehicle in front :unamused:

Very true well said

Harry Monk:
The strange thing is that the VOSA would get bent out of shape if they weren’t secured but would be quite satisfied with internal straps which would do absolutely nothing to stop the reels coming off the trailer in a collision.

They really wouldn’t be satisfied with internals

robroy:
I just don’t get this when all this stuff is discussed, what is it with these people exactly? :neutral_face:
They know that they are required to strap everything these days by law.
They know if they get caught they get nicked.
They know that VOSA and the Old Bill are just out to get them… any excuse.
So why do they think it’s ok to run with unstrapped loads?? :unamused:

Only thing I can think of is they are stupid enough to be allowing themselves to be pushed,.so they aint got time.
Knob heads who deserve to get done, no excuses,.and if some poor sod has been killed because of them, chuck the key away.

May have been strapped but just not in right place ,another thing in its self is that one can strap enough to satisfy vostapo but still not be good enough for any braking or rough driving .

Punchy Dan:

robroy:
I just don’t get this when all this stuff is discussed, what is it with these people exactly? :neutral_face:
They know that they are required to strap everything these days by law.
They know if they get caught they get nicked.
They know that VOSA and the Old Bill are just out to get them… any excuse.
So why do they think it’s ok to run with unstrapped loads?? :unamused:

Only thing I can think of is they are stupid enough to be allowing themselves to be pushed,.so they aint got time.
Knob heads who deserve to get done, no excuses,.and if some poor sod has been killed because of them, chuck the key away.

May have been strapped but just not in right place ,another thing in its self is that one can strap enough to satisfy vostapo but still not be good enough for any braking or rough driving .

Very true. vostapo will be satisfied with on strap over a top hat coil. Try getting out of a TATA site with just one strap over a coil… :sunglasses:

trevHCS:
Not sure of roping and sheeting would work for pallets (defo not for double deckers :slight_smile: ) but making employers more liable might help. Technically they are, but if there were decently big fines for obviously bad strapping going to the employer they might take a bit more seriously.

I think a step in the right direction would be to make the idiot loaders partly responsible for dangerous loading (not load security, tbf). Too many just chuck stuff on a trailer any old how and go away thinking job done.

stevieboy308:

Harry Monk:
The strange thing is that the VOSA would get bent out of shape if they weren’t secured but would be quite satisfied with internal straps which would do absolutely nothing to stop the reels coming off the trailer in a collision.

So what do you do? You can’t throw ratchet straps over because they’ll just damage the reels. You could use corner protectors but only if there’s a safe environment to fit them. Really,it should be the consignor’s responsibility to secure the load, not the driver’s.

Well we hauled reels of paper on a regular basis, And one of the runs was to Pershore, Large reels stood on end 3 tonne each 8 in all , 24 Tonne payload, The were very tall reels and difficult to secure, So as owner drivers we took every caution in our driving skills to avoid any mishaps which gladley we did and never had any problems, Of course we now have VOSA On the prowl, Im Glad to be retired and out of the haulage game, IMO A lot of it is just common sence which I was taught be my good old mentors in the late 50s, Regards Larry.

Harry Monk:

stevieboy308:

Harry Monk:

So what do you do? You can’t throw ratchet straps over because they’ll just damage the reels. You could use corner protectors but only if there’s a safe environment to fit them. Really,it should be the consignor’s responsibility to secure the load, not the driver’s.

Well yeah edge protection for a start!!

Either way, you can’t say we couldn’t think of a way to secure them without damaging them or there being a risk to the driver to secure them, so we didn’t secure them!!

I’d maybe say a joint responsibility

A way is needed to carry them securely with minimal risk to the driver securing them

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well we hauled reels of paper on a regular basis, And one of the runs was to Pershore, Large reels stood on end 3 tonne each 8 in all , 24 Tonne payload, The were very tall reels and difficult to secure, So as owner drivers we took every caution in our driving skills to avoid any mishaps which gladley we did and never had any problems, Of course we now have VOSA On the prowl, Im Glad to be retired and out of the haulage game, IMO A lot of it is just common sence which I was taught be my good old mentors in the late 50s, Regards Larry.

Me too into pershore! Sure we used to carry 9, either not strapped or a half arsed attempt with the internals that was barely worth it, also without incident, but I look back and think I was lucky,!

People need to forget the drive to the load argument, of course anyone with any nouse drives to the load, but we don’t drive on a closed circuit, we can’t always 2nd guess everyone else’s moves and we don’t have crystal balls, no one can guarantee they’ll never need to make an emergency stop or swerve, that’s what you’re strapping for

Juddian:
How things have worsened despite all thw technology rules regs box ticking training vosa dcpc etc.
Back in the day, those reels would have been on the roll, two or three layers high, back scotched, sheeted over and roped between the reels to pull the sheet down tight, then fly sheet over, you couldn’t shift the buggers even if you rammed your non autobraked abs stability controlled drum braked wagon up the arse of the vehicle in front :unamused:

YES YES YES.

peterm:

Juddian:

YES YES YES.

Been there, done it, got the T-shirt but I really wouldn’t want to go back to roping and sheeting, thanks. :wink: :wink:

You’d be as fit as a butchers dog in no time. :smiley:

If the prats stop tailgating, driving about 3 foot behind at 50mph through the roadworks you wouldn’t get half of these stupid accident’s. I have the misfortune to use the M6 a lot but it scares the living day lights out of me watching how these so called highly skilled drivers behave.

Lawrence Dunbar:

I used to backload paper for pershore out of deptford then later tilbury back in the 90’s. We never used to secure them as that would have damaged the edges. Like you say, we just drove according to the load and I don’t remember anybody ever losing a load. Not saying it was right but we had no option. Not sure I’d be happy to do it these days with dvsa ready to pounce at every turn!

It’s irrelevant how we use to do things, health and safety legislation was imposed for a reason.
But incidents could easily be avoided by the powers that be using the DCPC in a manner that would ensure the required periods of training were used to train and not to fall asleep in a crowded rest room listening to a TM or in house Driver Trainer waffle ■■■■.

The DCPC should have a set syllabus to include, Drivers Hours, Load Safety and Security, Driving Assessment and Highway Code which are required to be passed not attendance.
The overall standard of driving and the aspects of being a driver in the U.K. has increasingly got worse, drivers bully their way through traffic, force their way into motorways, drive with unsafe loads and generally have a couldn’t give a rats ■■■ attitude.
Blaming the transport office and snot nosed planners putting pressure on drivers is no excuse, as a driver it’s your licence and your livelihood, you have a tongue in your head it’s time you used it, you have the right to ensure the load is safe and secure, you cannot be refused as it could pose a danger to other road users and the law is on your side.

Grumpy Dad:
The DCPC should have a set syllabus to include, Drivers Hours, Load Safety and Security, Driving Assessment and Highway Code which are required to be passed not attendance.

No way would that ever happen because the last thing in the world Big Business would want is an instant 30-40% cut in the driver pool.

Harry Monk:

Grumpy Dad:

No way would that ever happen because the last thing in the world Big Business would want is an instant 30-40% cut in the driver pool.

And that’s where the industry is knackered. How can a driver be classed as a skilled or professional if they can only have to attend.

It also brings to mind the age-old dilemma of picking up sealed curtainsiders from docks that have been shipped unaccompanied. You’re really at the mercy of your counterpart over the water and how conscientious (or not) they were with the straps.

P.S…how many bullseyes in that MAN windscreen?? Driver must have had a lot of shizz on the bunk.

Grumpy Dad:
It’s irrelevant how we use to do things, health and safety legislation was imposed for a reason.
But incidents could easily be avoided by the powers that be using the DCPC in a manner that would ensure the required periods of training were used to train and not to fall asleep in a crowded rest room listening to a TM or in house Driver Trainer waffle [zb].

The overall standard of driving and the aspects of being a driver in the U.K. has increasingly got worse, drivers bully their way through traffic, force their way into motorways, drive with unsafe loads and generally have a couldn’t give a rats ■■■ attitude.
Blaming the transport office and snot nosed planners putting pressure on drivers is no excuse, as a driver it’s your licence and your livelihood, you have a tongue in your head it’s time you used it, you have the right to ensure the load is safe and secure, you cannot be refused as it could pose a danger to other road users and the law is on your side.

You’re talking too much sense mate :sunglasses: BUT…we’re talking about the modern present UK driver here :bulb: :unamused:

The ones who will run on a Sunday to be first in the queue,…even though they are in salary so don’t get paid for it. :open_mouth:

The ones who obey without question when they’re told to take a 9 off even if they feel totally rubber ducked.

The ones who dare not stop for a power nap because they know they’ll get a phone call off some ■■■■ in an office asking ‘‘Why have you stopped’’.

The ones who teararse 13 hours a day over the speed limits, or drive over their time, and park in unsuitable ■■■■ holes, because their boss expects it.

They don’t give a crap about their licences, or evidently things like load security.

Professional Competence with these ■■■■ clowns?? :laughing: :laughing: Don’t make me ■■■■ laugh,…
As Harry’s post says, the dcpc will never be a genuine qualification, but always a ■■■■ charade, a box ticking excercise to make it look that things are being done correctlly, (but aint) with the added advantage of being a very lucrative industry.

The MAN…

Is a new model. They have collision avoidance as standard and no way (as far as I’m aware) to turn it off.

So how come he’s ended up walloping matey boy up the back?