The MIGHTY Volvo F7

Dieseldog66:
possibly the worst lorry I ever drove, you ended up with a crick in your neck from looking under the the visor when it was up, I’ll take a Scania 80/81 anyday

Hi Dieseldog66, strange how we all have our likes & dislikes, I’m 6’2" & about 17 stone now ( bit lighter back in early 80s when I had my F7 :open_mouth: :unamused: ), but I didn’t have that problem at all, & thought they were a nice comfortable wagon to drive, & I was on long distance/General so was behind the wheel most of the day! If we were all the same there would probably only be 1 make of wagon available! Regards Chris

Good honest workhorse the F7, thought it a worthy replacement of the 86, comfy enough and a nice looking little motor. We had a couple on Heavyhaul Ltd in the late 80s early 90’s, two 8 wheel tippers on local topsoil work for Binder Loams. They were good motors, gave very little grief and were economical on the shorthaul work. The elder of the two had the 16 speed with the air-shift on the dash, and was capable of nearly 80mph once wound up. Had an F6 hiab beavertail that was bought in 92’, under powered and knackered, but went on to give 7 yrs hard graft befor breaking its back lifting concrete blocks on a site :blush: , The only major thing that went wrong on the F6 was it needeing a rebuild after a driver cooked it up climbing the M11 north bound from the M25.
Chris.

One of the first F7 rigids in the UK

The mighty F 7 , I drove on of these horrible things for two weeks while its regular driver was on holiday It was the worst motor that I have ever driven , The brakes were total ■■■■■■ & It couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding, I was glad to get back onto my old Scammell with the 180 Gardner in it, The regular driver told me that he drove it because it was the first new motor he ever had, But he did admit that he wasn’t impressed with it after driving an AEC Mandator, I rest my case, Regards Larry.

Too much Malt Larry, got a new one 1981 when on for Harry & Peter Collinson (Chopwell) had it till I left 1986 & started for Gordon Armstrong & My 1st moter there was another F7 which I had for another couple of yrs, cracking moters quiet comfortable went OK & we lived in them 5 nights a week. To compare it with a 180 in a Scammel; rose coloured whiskey hazed comes to mind :unamused: :unamused:

greek:
Too much Malt Larry, got a new one 1981 when on for Harry & Peter Collinson (Chopwell) had it till I left 1986 & started for Gordon Armstrong & My 1st moter there was another F7 which I had for another couple of yrs, cracking moters quiet comfortable went OK & we lived in them 5 nights a week. To compare it with a 180 in a Scammel; rose coloured whiskey hazed comes to mind :unamused: :unamused:

Aye you are quite right, I got myself all mixed up , It was the first model of Volvo I was refering to when I worked for Ken Short F86 , Regards Larry, Plus I had been on the Malts, Ha Ha, Mind you I would rather drink them as drive any kind of wagon the way things are to-day.

027.JPG
I got this F7 back in 2012, 16 speed 38ton, I am looking for any info or pictures when it was working.
This is what i have got so far
Dawson freight,(leighton buzzard) 1985-1988 white/black (B196XJO)
Woodall transport group (coleshill), 1988-1992
NEC,(birmingham),1992-1995 blue
Woodall transport group, 1995-2004 red, and reg was A18WTG and possible it was A14WTG at some time
M. Coulter (solihull), 2004-2005 (B196XJO)
Market expo ltd (honiton), 2005-2006
R. Pattemore (crewkerne), 2006-2012

Bloody hell, thats had some pedalers! :smiley:

I know this is an FL7 but James and Hodder ran the F7s for some time. I did have some photos of them but long lost in the walks of life.

Turned them round for you

0dddd.jpg

TIDDERSON:
Turned them round for you

Thank you for that, I’m not so good on computers.

Bob Binks Bedlington ran several of these, Regards Larry.

Oldtimer Trucker:

Volvo F7 tractors.

Salut, Oldimer Trucker

This take me back to being 4 years old, my old man drove for dukes, used to come home with boxes of sweets!!

Ferguson:
I got this F7 back in 2012, 16 speed 38ton, I am looking for any info or pictures when it was working.
Woodall transport group, 1995-2004 red, and reg was A18WTG and possible it was A14WTG at some time

I worked at Woodalls as a trainee mechanic. Started in 1990 and stayed with them for 6 years. I remember XJO, you say it was registered with the NEC, well it was still run by Woodalls! Then came back in house and painted red all over ( hides the rust so John Woodall told me!). Interesting you mention it belonging to Mick Coulter as he was our MOT and trailer man. He always had a soft spot for an F7 and was gutted when they scrapped FUT 109 V, his Mot unit and they then gave him that one.

Ferguson:

Hi, I worked for Dawsonfreight as a fitter in Leighton Buzzard until 1990, if I remember correctly this was one of several Dawsonrentals F7’s that were on contract with Autocar car transporters up by Luton airport, they became Walon. I may have a photo of the old girl somewhere, will see if I can find it for you.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402844394.236791.jpgvolvof616

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402844493.842023.jpgvolvo f616

volvof616

That look’s superb :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I agree, proper job that :sunglasses: :smiley: , I love a nice red-chassis, always sets the cab off no matter what colour that may be! Regards Chris