The end of a wobble box

The point made was that it takes time and mistakes to make a complete driver. As for the caravan, as long as no one gets hurt, I’m happy for every mobile potty in the land to get obliterated by a Class 1 driving God.

Really, for sure it takes time to learn some things but people either drive like an idiot or they don’t. Some have the brains yet still drive like selfish idiots and others drive like idiots because they have no comprehension of what their actions could cause.

As for your attitude towards caravans. It stinks. And driving gods seem to have gone completely out of fashion these days. :wink:

cheekymonkey:

trevHCS:

cheekymonkey:
The fact that a truck driver is a professional and has undergone training only makes his case worse.

From memory it took me 12 months to train and pass a car test with extensive time on the road with my parents in between lessons, so why should potentially 8 days training going from a car to a 44T truck make us superman / superwoman “professional driver” that the papers like to tag us with…only when we [zb] up.

Just like driving a car, it takes a long time and many mistakes to get good at the job (ask Rob, Juddian and all the other long timers). Not saying we shouldn’t be held to account for messups just like car drivers and on equal basis, but it’s this whole idea that so little training makes us professional drivers automatically with all the associated penalties which annoys me.

Christ, I’m “trained” to drive a moffett, but trust me you never ever want to let me near one or people will die (was nearly me when I drove one).

I disagree, and I think there’s a problem with the word… “Professional”. What I mean is we do this for a living. It’s our livelyhood. We should be good at it. At least better than the chap who just uses a car for the odd trip into town or into the next town once a week to visit Auntie Flo.
You sound like you don’t have much faith in your own abilities in a truck or a Moffatt but we’re not all like that.

Exactly.

jakethesnake:
ps.good sensible post there trev…quite accurate.

Yeah maybe quite accurate about himself but remember he was one of the first to try to defend the idiot that smashed into the caravan. :unamused:

And you saying it’s good and sensible after some of the rubbish you come out with just makes it even more laughable. :wink:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
everyone in here thats driven on a motorway will at some point in time have ran a tad too close behind someone waiting for the fanny in the middle lane to pass so they can pull out,and 99999 time it happens without mishap.
the truck driver was only doing normal driving,just the wrong place,wrong time.

obviously complete wazzocks like yourself,conor,and anyone of a similar ilk to fridge engineers will never have been in that situation,im referring to mere drivers,not the holier than though armchar vikings . :unamused:

trevHCS:
After a lot of stop starting, I’m beginning to wonder what exactly was going on and whether this was a brake checking by the car in front of the caravan driver. By looks of things it plays out as:

• Silver car suddenly stops in live lane (vehicle 1).
  • Caravan driver can’t stop and slams into them (vehicle 2).
  • Truck slams into caravan (vehicle 3).

There’s a car in front of vehicle 1 which I’ve marked as vehicle 4 in the pic below and it’s far too close for it to have just overtaken a broken down car and then pulled back into lane one. Plus in the video the car marked 4 pulls away along with the rest of the traffic and only vehicle 1 (silver car) stops.

Thus either vehicle 1 (silver car) has a catastrophic malfunction causing it to brake hard, or it’s brake checked the caravan. No one is expecting this and thus everyone ploughs into everyone else.It might be the lighting but right at the beginning there’s no brake lights on vehicle (1) then they definitely appear to come on as it stops further suggesting that it hadn’t broken down.

What you can’t see in the pic is the car towing the caravan but in answer to the original question, yes the caravan does crash first shortly followed by the truck. Having studied it, I would say the truck driver reacted as quickly as I’d expect since you’re going along, suddenly caravan emergency stops (not too sure if showed any brake lights) and you’ve got to have reaction time which is usually measured around 2 seconds.

I blame ultimately the silver car (vehicle 1) for stopping suddenly and for no apparent reason in the live lane, the idiots in the Highways dept who thought no hard shoulder was a good idea although that might not have helped unless car had broken down and everyone else for driving too close. There’s my report for TNCSI. There are a couple more screenshots but it won’t let me attach more than one.

Little bit more to back up your observations, the second clip shows the aftermath with the involved cars.

youtu.be/BCNCbCMBow0

Washwipe:

trevHCS:
After a lot of stop starting, I’m beginning to wonder what exactly was going on and whether this was a brake checking by the car in front of the caravan driver. By looks of things it plays out as:

• Silver car suddenly stops in live lane (vehicle 1).
  • Caravan driver can’t stop and slams into them (vehicle 2).
  • Truck slams into caravan (vehicle 3).

There’s a car in front of vehicle 1 which I’ve marked as vehicle 4 in the pic below and it’s far too close for it to have just overtaken a broken down car and then pulled back into lane one. Plus in the video the car marked 4 pulls away along with the rest of the traffic and only vehicle 1 (silver car) stops.

Thus either vehicle 1 (silver car) has a catastrophic malfunction causing it to brake hard, or it’s brake checked the caravan. No one is expecting this and thus everyone ploughs into everyone else.It might be the lighting but right at the beginning there’s no brake lights on vehicle (1) then they definitely appear to come on as it stops further suggesting that it hadn’t broken down.

What you can’t see in the pic is the car towing the caravan but in answer to the original question, yes the caravan does crash first shortly followed by the truck. Having studied it, I would say the truck driver reacted as quickly as I’d expect since you’re going along, suddenly caravan emergency stops (not too sure if showed any brake lights) and you’ve got to have reaction time which is usually measured around 2 seconds.

I blame ultimately the silver car (vehicle 1) for stopping suddenly and for no apparent reason in the live lane, the idiots in the Highways dept who thought no hard shoulder was a good idea although that might not have helped unless car had broken down and everyone else for driving too close. There’s my report for TNCSI. There are a couple more screenshots but it won’t let me attach more than one.

Little bit more to back up your observations, the second clip shows the aftermath with the involved cars.

youtu.be/BCNCbCMBow0

And? What are you trying to say?

No trying to say anything, just adding to trevHCS’s points. :unamused:

Took me a minute or two to realise this,

20190115_000700.jpg

But the caravan doesnt appear to be displaying brake lights. Maybe they’re not showing because of my phone. Anyone else think this?

They definitely don’t work now…

Just wanted to say thank you to those debating this sensibly rather than just attacking posters.

Also good to see several members I have a lot of respect for getting involved. I wont name names or will be accused of being a fanboiz (I believe thats the term for down with the kidz :smiley: ).

If you are driving along the motorway and you drive into the back of someone, you are at fault. Amen

I was told many moons ago that generally the rear vehicle was generally at fault. But if the vehicle in front does something to cause an accident such as slamming brakes on without valid reason then this would not be the case. Doesnt apply to the truck, but might help the caravan driver.

cheekymonkey:
You sound like you don’t have much faith in your own abilities in a truck or a Moffatt but we’re not all like that.

Re your mention of auntie flo, I would hope everyone on the road drives at a decent level just like the travelling salesman or the truck driver. If how good at driving you are was based on how much you drive in a year, we’re all screwed.

Re my abilities, I’m better than i was 3 years ago and worse than I will be on 10 years I’m sure, just like when i starting driving cars 25 years ago. I just figure theres always something more to learn.

Re the afterwards video that Washwipe found, I’m struggling to find the body of the caravan as in the metal its built on. Very scary what happens when they get hit. Cant work out which was one towing the caravan but if it was the larger silver car, it got away with little damage.

Nite Owl - thought that myself. Not sure if it’s because the caravan didnt get time to brake or the lights weren’t working. It certainly slammed into the front car very hard.

Cue Jake… :wink:

i just think its disgraceful that theres no sound.
the range truck driver must have been giving it a big yeeeehaaaaa as it creamed the caravan,plus there has to have been some good bleeped out words from the dashcam vehicle.
the silver car just looks like its sitting there for no reason apart from being hit up the jacksey and seems to be one of those kind of vehicles that you always see stranded on the hard shoulder with 4 or 5 unmentionables standing around, though in this case mabey its that wee wifey thats wandering around on the nearside??
top notch materiel no matter whos at fault. :slight_smile:

trevHCS:
Re the afterwards video that Washwipe found, I’m struggling to find the body of the caravan as in the metal its built on. Very scary what happens when they get hit. Cant work out which was one towing the caravan but if it was the larger silver car, it got away with little damage.

The chassis is there but not easy to see, it is still in lane one, but as there is only a chassis and a floor there’s not a lot more to see.

Think you’ll find the Mitsi Showgun was towing the van, the little silver car the cause, if was a breakdown or brake testing I’m sure that would have been reaveled at the scene or if it went to court.

Is the silver car the old Vectra on the hard should afterwards?
If so I think there’s a strong smell of crash for cash here. If it was a silly revenge brake-checking then I think they would be considered the one at fault.

A few points:
Post dashcam it is not any longer the case that anyone who goes into the back of the vehicle is automatically at fault (if indeed that statement has ever been wholly true). If dashcam shows brake checking insurers have not paid out. For a long time, prior to dashcams, a lot of drivers pulling out late from junctions have got away from it providing they have fully turned into the carriageway. We’ve all seen them rapidly pull out then seemly give up on accelerating once they’re in the carriageway thinking it’s then for the vehicle behind to brake.

Secondly, not sure about separation distances I believe they are based on the vehicle in front emergency braking I don’t think they allow for the massively more rapid deceleration of the vehicle in front hitting a near stationary object. In some situations an observant driver behind at a safe distance can still be unfairly compromised by the distracted driver with poor observation and separation distance in front of them.