The Atkinson 'View-Line'

ONR586Fbsmall.jpgone more

robinswh:
0one more

The owner of this went to New Zealand and took it with him - the trailer loaded with his house contents!

AEC%20at%20Ibstock-thumb-448x295-117075.jpghere is another member of the fleet left hand drive AEC mammoth major

moomooland:
0Transporting box girder bridge sections from Fairfield Mabey Ltd at Chepstow

Hope he enjoyed his breakfast at the Symonds Yat café.

moomooland:
0I suspect looking at the superb quality of this photograph it was taken by renowned lorry photographer Peter J Davies.

It certainly was - it’s in his Atkinson book

Atkinson Viewline CJJ407H seen for a few seconds in the free to view bfi film Face of Change about retraining steelworkers among other things steel related-
At 11 mins
player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/wat … 976-online

face of change bfi.png

XS650:
Atkinson Viewline CJJ407H seen for a few seconds in the free to view bfi film Face of Change about retraining steelworkers among other things steel related-
At 11 mins
player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/wat … 976-online

And a delightful growl from the 6LX as he changes down

NMP off FB

coomsey:
NMP off FB

The same one as posted further up this page, in green, and with its original owner

240 Gardner:

coomsey:
NMP off FB

The same one as posted further up this page, in green, and with its original owner

That lorry, still in Lock colours, was purchased by Alan Butcher of Invicta Transport in Maidstone in about 76/7. I drove it for Alan for 3 months pulling for Wim Vos doing Benelux countries. Broke down more times than I had continental breakfasts. Pig of a motor, had a little sleeper pod nailed on the back. Boy was I relieved when I got the F89 back as I’m sure many of you will appreciate.

Atkinson%20Viewline%206.jpg

sandway:
That lorry, still in Lock colours, was purchased by Alan Butcher of Invicta Transport in Maidstone in about 76/7. I drove it for Alan for 3 months pulling for Wim Vos doing Benelux countries. Broke down more times than I had continental breakfasts. Pig of a motor, had a little sleeper pod nailed on the back. Boy was I relieved when I got the F89 back as I’m sure many of you will appreciate.

Blimey, something seriously wrong for a Gardner-engined Atki to be breaking down regularly. An unlikely choice of motor for working into Europe by 1977, though, I must say!

240 Gardner:

sandway:

Blimey, something seriously wrong for a Gardner-engined Atki to be breaking down regularly. An unlikely choice of motor for working into Europe by 1977, though, I must say!

Is that an opening windscreen on the driver’s side? IIRC 1977 was when the F12 came out, with aircon! Who needs it, when you can open the windows, and enjoy the fresh air?

Here a bit from 1966 about the Viewline.

Click on pages twice to read.

1. Graham Adams.

atkinson viewline 68 ppg.PNG

DEANB:

You have the 1966 Show edition of Rangeability then? :wink:

I always thought that that the View-Line advert looked a bit dodgy - cowboy connotations have never gone well with road haulage!

The Graham Adams one still exists, albeit without the second steer

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

You have the 1966 Show edition of Rangeability then? :wink:

I always thought that that the View-Line advert looked a bit dodgy - cowboy connotations have never gone well with road haulage!

The Graham Adams one still exists, albeit without the second steer

Morning Chris, yes have that one ! :wink: I agree about the advert i remember seeing it for the first time and
thought it was very odd !! :laughing:

Not sure if this was from the same magazine as scanned it a few years ago.

atkinson viewline 1966.PNG

DEANB:
Morning Chris, yes have that one ! :wink: I agree about the advert i remember seeing it for the first time and

atkinson viewline 1966.PNG

Morning Dean, one of those odd coincidences in life: when I moved to a small West Berkshire village in 2007, I discovered that my new GP was Peter Yates’ son, so he and my father would have been acquainted in Preston.

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

Morning Dean, one of those odd coincidences in life: when I moved to a small West Berkshire village in 2007, I discovered that my new GP was Peter Yates’ son, so he and my father would have been acquainted in Preston.

Unbelievable coincidence Chris,i bet your appointments were intresting. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

DEANB:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

Unbelievable coincidence Chris,i bet your appointments were intresting. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Few as they were, yes!

Kiwi Transport Viewliner from 1970.

atkinson view kiwi 70 pview.PNG