Earls court show photos

fodenway:
Have a look on the Pathe News site, there’s a few film clips from various years at Earl’s Court, as well as loads of other transport related films. Get ready to spend several hours watching, they’re totally addictive…

I added a post quite some time ago requesting pictures from old CV shows, without realising that the topic had already been raised. Anyway, whist browsing the internet today, I came across the Pathe News clips, as well as the link back to TN. Well worth a look. Try Googling 1964 COMMERCIAL MOTOR SHOW.

if anyone can help please 1966 earls court motor show,there was a red 6 wheeled rigid atkinson on show i am looking for a photograph of this vehicle as it was purchased direct from atkinson by jack henley of spelmonden nr goudhurst in kent,my father drove the vehicle from new.
so please have a good look someone somewhere must have a photo (fingers crossed)

IMG_0025.jpgHere are a pair of Thornycroft’s a Trusty Eight and a Swiftsure on the Boalloy Stand showing the Cabs and Bodies.
Not sure of the year would it be the late fifties ? Mike.

thelongdrag:
0Here are a pair of Thornycroft’s a Trusty Eight and a Swiftsure on the Boalloy Stand showing the Cabs and Bodies.
Not sure of the year would it be the late fifties ? Mike.

Nice looking motors those two “Thorny’s” I bet Gerald Broadbent had a hand in their cab design,they look like they have shades of the ERF cab in them ! Cheers Bewick.

ERF 240 Gardner coupled to Carrimore CVC transporter/cargo trailer with two other exibits and the ride home on its way to the 1972 Earls Court Show. They were on the Anthony Carrimore Stand.

ETY%20666La.jpg

What a good thread! Nothing could replace the excitement of going to the Commercial Motor Show at Earls Court.

At W.H.Williams Spennymoor we had two vehicles exhibited over the years.
1948 (i think) Spulings stand Bedfod O model.
1982 Marsden stand Bedford KF Pantechnicon

When i think back what a fool I was for not taking photos. I was too young in 1948 but never thought in 82.

However commercial Motor always featured lots of photos including ous, which once again I never kept, but it woud be so interesting if anyone could post photos from old Commercial Motor.

Sniffy:
Posted these on another thread but they should be OK here

Hiya…who’s Foden is that just in the photo…i would like to say richard johnson and nephew
looking at the logo above the headlight…but the lorries apear to be in the tanker area unless
theres a divide between the vehicles. who do you say… that’ll stir up the grey matter.
John

Carl Williams:
What a good thread! Nothing could replace the excitement of going to the Commercial Motor Show at Earls Court.

At W.H.Williams Spennymoor we had two vehicles exhibited over the years.
1948 (i think) Spulings stand Bedfod O model.
1982 Marsden stand Bedford KF Pantechnicon

When i think back what a fool I was for not taking photos. I was too young in 1948 but never thought in 82.

However commercial Motor always featured lots of photos including ous, which once again I never kept, but it woud be so interesting if anyone could post photos from old Commercial Motor.

Couldn’t agree more. Earls Court always had far more atmosphere than the NEC.
Commercial Motor fails to hit the mark with it’s coverage of the show nowadays, although to be fair, there’s perhaps not so much of
interest exhibited.

Just look at the names here, never see anything the likes of this again mores the pity

Stanfield:
Just look at the names here, never see anything the likes of this again mores the pity10

Also, look at the names.-All British. We never should have joined the EEC

Hope these are OK?

Wonder what engine that 8 legger Laird had in it :question: bet it had a job to get along empty :laughing:

altitude:
Wonder what engine that 8 legger Laird had in it :question: bet it had a job to get along empty :laughing:

It had the standard 5.7 underfloor BMC unit, but its load would be bulk more than weight. The Prime Movers had the same engine and they were plated at 22 tons gross I seem to remember.

Pete.

windrush:

altitude:

It had the standard 5.7 underfloor BMC unit, but its load would be bulk more than weight. The Prime Movers had the same engine and they were plated at 22 tons gross I seem to remember.

Pete.

I bet they brke down reguarly.

yanto36:
Hope these are OK?

Hi

i remember going to Sparshatt’s stand in mid sixties and they had exhibited their first full fibreglass Luton Van. The salesman greated me bragging what a wonderful advancement in bodybuilding it was, but stopped talking when I told him how many Fibreglass Marsdens we had puchased at that time with the first dating from 1965. I think that certainly spoilt his day

Best wishes
Carl

Stanfield:
Just look at the names here, never see anything the likes of this again mores the pity10

What a shame all these names are gone, I went to the commercial vehicle motor show last year and there was not a single British commercial vehicle manufacturer in sight.

How many Beavers or other chassis were built with the turbocharged engine, apart from the one they showed? From the absence of postings about them on Trucknet and elsewhere, it seems that very few were sold. I get the impression it was, primarily, a bit of marketing puff by BL, to show they were as advanced as Volvo etc. Are there any phots of them in operator’s colours?

[zb]
anorak:
How many Beavers or other chassis were built with the turbocharged engine, apart from the one they showed? From the absence of postings about them on Trucknet and elsewhere, it seems that very few were sold. I get the impression it was, primarily, a bit of marketing puff by BL, to show they were as advanced as Volvo etc. Are there any phots of them in operator’s colours?

hiya i think its a case of the buffalo had taken place of the beaver in 72… the headless wonder was to be the bees knees…wrong!!! leyland sold plenty of buffalo’s and repaired plenty of them …under warranty
John

3300John:

[zb]
anorak:

hiya i think its a case of the buffalo had taken place of the beaver in 72… the headless wonder was to be the bees knees…wrong!!! leyland sold plenty of buffalo’s and repaired plenty of them …under warranty
John

John shouldn’t that be ALL of them :astonished:
cheers Johnnie :wink:

sammyopisite:

3300John:

[zb]
anorak:

John

John shouldn’t that be ALL of them :astonished:
cheers Johnnie :wink:

YEP