Malpas Vintage Show 08/09/07

Just some of the Classic Commercials at Malpas yesterday.
A 6x6, built by Dutch company Ginaf who specalise in all-wheel-drive motors.

Chinese six Leyland Steer.

Ray Hingley’s 1950 Atkinson

Guy BigJ 8, possible part built by my late father, when he worked for Guy Motors

Atkinson Viewline. I like this, it looks a bit gormless :laughing:

And some others that I liked the look of.

nice pics kate, there was a ginaf still working out of sudbury certainly in the last couple of years which was the same ‘model’ as the one pictured, like the look of the crusader wrecker

What a classic looking British truck that Big ‘J’ is.

Nice pics Kate.

Thanks for the pics Kate,
I’ve driven some of them but my one regret is not driving a Big J, what, with that exhaust pipe under the front bumper and yer head sticking out the window pulling a heavy load uphill :smiley: :smiley:

Charles

My mate owns the ‘gormless’ Atki Viewline. It was one of 6 that Pickfords had.

Tim

I like the Chinese 6 Leyland because it’s

a.) an oddball
b.) carrying beer.

or should that be

a.) carrying beer
b.) an oddball

who cares, it’s all good.

jazzdrummer:

Tim

According to the Atkinson factory magazine it’s one of a batch of 9, all of which started life with the 220 ■■■■■■■ and a 10-speed semi-auto box. They were plated for 42 tons as an artic unit, and 55 tons as a drawbar unit.

Pickfords had quite a number of 6x4 Viewlines too, but with the 14 litre ■■■■■■■■

I don’t think it’s gormless - just ugly! And I’m speaking as someone who actually owned a Viewline for 19 years. I think they probably look better with a ballast box than just a plain bobtail unit, or with a van behind them rather than a flat.

Here’s mine, which I had to sell in 2003 (scroll down the page a bit).

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewto … sc&start=0

Our old man remembers a viewline they had at the RTITB, at High Ercall many years ago. when he was chairman or something like that. He’s trying to think of the registration number so I can find a picture of it for him :unamused:
He doesn’t want much does he?

Kate:
Our old man remembers a viewline they had at the RTITB, at High Ercall many years ago. when he was chairman or something like that. He’s trying to think of the registration number so I can find a picture of it for him :unamused:

Well, it’s WAN 183G, and I do have several pics of it, both during and after its RTITB days.

I first met it there about 1985, at which time it had covered less than 100,000 miles, and was being used to move a mobile classroom. It has a RR220 engine (the local connection!) with a ZF box. It also featured in a hilarious MoT film (with wooden ham actors) to demonstrate what the new-fangled HGV test was going to be like.

It was sold to Junction Ten Commercials in Walsall about 1987 as a part-exchange, but they didn’t do much with it after they painted it up in their colours, although they did bring it to an Atkinson event in Leyland in 1987.

It then went to a chap called John Goodreid, who was a former Atkinson salesman. He added a dummy ballast box to resemble a Pickfords lorry and later sold it on. I believe it’s now in Ireland, although I’m not certain.

I shall look out my pics of it, although it may take a little while, as I’ve just moved house, the pics are still boxed-up and the internet connection STILL hasn’t been sorted by BT.

240 Gardner:

Kate:

Well, it’s WAN 183G, and I do have several pics of it, both during and after its RTITB days.

I first met it there about 1985, at which time it had covered less than 100,000 miles, and was being used to move a mobile classroom. It has a RR220 engine (the local connection!) with a ZF box. It also featured in a hilarious MoT film (with wooden ham actors) to demonstrate what the new-fangled HGV test was going to be like.

It was sold to Junction Ten Commercials in Walsall about 1987 as a part-exchange, but they didn’t do much with it after they painted it up in their colours, although they did bring it to an Atkinson event in Leyland in 1987.

It then went to a chap called John Goodreid, who was a former Atkinson salesman. He added a dummy ballast box to resemble a Pickfords lorry and later sold it on. I believe it’s now in Ireland, although I’m not certain.

I shall look out my pics of it, although it may take a little while, as I’ve just moved house, the pics are still boxed-up and the internet connection STILL hasn’t been sorted by BT.

I think I love you :laughing: :laughing:

Kate:

240 Gardner:

Kate:

I think I love you :laughing: :laughing:

:blush: :blush:

jazzdrummer:

Tim

And here is the “gormless” one in an earlier life:

jazzdrummer:

Tim

Just to show that an Atki Viewline needn’t look TOO gormless with a decent paint job (and I think the Pickfords one looks decent too), here’s one of the Viewline I owned for 19 years, taken at Kirkby Lonsdale in the mid-90s.

That’s a REAL dummy load under the sheet by the way - concrete test weights! Within 24 hours of that pic, the 150 Gardner had dragged those weights over Shap, Glen Welt (near Haltwhistle), Kiln Pit Hill, Tow Law Moor and Blubberhouses.

240 Gardner:
That’s a REAL dummy load under the sheet by the way - concrete test weights!

I remember them well! Only volunteered to drag them once - that was enough for me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

killsville:

240 Gardner:
That’s a REAL dummy load under the sheet by the way - concrete test weights!

I remember them well! Only volunteered to drag them once - that was enough for me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

you’d have done better with a lorry… :laughing: