The Atkinson 'View-Line'

moomooland:
0That’s some load wonder how many people lost their phone lines. :smiley:

Hi Lance .
The Volvo F86 is not from the north of England , but the name of Carter springs to mind ?

Cheers , cattle wagon man .

moomooland:
0That’s some load wonder how many people lost their phone lines. :smiley:

They do go with quite a twang, as I once discovered in Station Road in Fleetwood at 21’6" high - the Telecom man was meant to be lifting them but he was a bit on the dozy side

Here’s a couple of new ones of your old motor Chris that i have never seen before. :smiley:

CZC00118-13.jpg

CZC00117-23.jpgCVRTC Rally Crick 1st of June 1991.

moomooland:
Here’s a couple of new ones of your old motor Chris that i have never seen before. :smiley:

Thanks Paul!

CZC00117-23.jpg

This was after Kevin had finished building the new cab, but before it went into Longton Coachcraft to be painted, so it’s showing off its gleaming new panels - every panel except the roof was newly made for the rebuild.

It came out of the paint shop on the Friday before the Trans Pennine, and we spent a day and a half re-fitting everything ready for the Sunday morning. In fact, we may even have camped out on the Saturday night

And in its original guise:

Atkinson Viewliner. by Steve, on Flickr

Just out of interest, was the steering wheel in the Viewline offset in the same manner as the Borderer?

oldmannie:
Just out of interest, was the steering wheel in the Viewline offset in the same manner as the Borderer?

No it wasn’t, and neither were the pedals! I found it a very comfortable place to sit for a full day’s driving

s-l500.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:

1966 Earls Court Show, Robert

Last one of the production line on Fleabay being broken up

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … =3&theater

240 Gardner:

oldmannie:

No it wasn’t, and neither were the pedals! I found it a very comfortable place to sit for a full day’s driving

Quite right Chris and neither was the Borderer wheel offset ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

240 Gardner:

oldmannie:

Interesting that! I once read that you could always tell an Atkinson driver in a cafe because his plate would be three inches to the left of him! :laughing: I always assumed it was true, there goes another ‘urban myth’ that has been dissproved. :unamused:

Pete.

windrush:

Bewick:

240 Gardner:

oldmannie:

Interesting that! I once read that you could always tell an Atkinson driver in a cafe because his plate would be three inches to the left of him! :laughing: I always assumed it was true, there goes another ‘urban myth’ that has been dissproved. :unamused:

Pete.

If it makes you feel any better, Pete, the Mk.1 was like that.

Bear in mind, though, that the View-Line pre-dated the Mk.2 so, having sorted it out on the View-Line you’d reasonably expect it to be sorted for the Mk.2

240 Gardner:

Bear in mind, though, that the View-Line pre-dated the Mk.2 so, having sorted it out on the View-Line you’d reasonably expect it to be sorted for the Mk.2

Oh goody, I wasn’t fed a ‘lemon’ then! :smiley: I read it in Truck and Driver many years ago so I knew it must have been correct… :wink: Some Fodens were like that as well.

Pete.

240 Gardner:

There you go again, using that daft thing called logic… :unamused: :unamused:

They put the steering column in the easiest place without using bracketry on the chassis. Driver comfort mattered even less when the ■■■■ things were designed! :unamused:

I suspect looking at the superb quality of this photograph it was taken by renowned lorry photographer Peter J Davies.

Transporting box girder bridge sections from Fairfield Mabey Ltd at Chepstow