THAMES TRADERS

leylandlover:

Bewick:

Retired Old ■■■■:
It’s probably safe to admit at this late date that I had a sheet of matt black-painted cardboard between the grille and the radiator.

Give that man “The Bullet” unforgiveable conduct to abuse a motor like that but if was BRS no problem !! :open_mouth: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

And the ■■■■■■■ always had a better heater than anything Gardner powered. :slight_smile:

Well a cousin of mine had a Gardner 180 S 36 Foden with a Kyzor Shutter & the heater was quite good, But these shutters didnt seem to catch on for some reason, Regards Larry.

moomooland:

Now that is just a tidy little motor :slight_smile: I could just fancy myself behind the wheel and off down the road ! I wonder if it was just a 4 speed/single speed axle or did it have the 5 speed box and Eaton axle ? Wishful thinking I should think eh! Cheers Dennis.PS that n/s fog lamp looks a bit high to do any good !

Hi Dennis I am not a Trader fan but this does look a tidy little motor with some classic Aiberdeen signwrighting. Fitt like !!! Leyland 600.

Bewick:

moomooland:

Now that is just a tidy little motor :slight_smile: I could just fancy myself behind the wheel and off down the road ! I wonder if it was just a 4 speed/single speed axle or did it have the 5 speed box and Eaton axle ? Wishful thinking I should think eh! Cheers Dennis.PS that n/s fog lamp looks a bit high to do any good !

I reckon that Lucas lamp is what we used to call a “driving” light, meant to augment the rather poor headlights of the day. Not that you’d be old enough to remember those, eh? :wink:

I used to get the occasional lift to school in a Thames Trader that was owned by a builders’ merchant and driven by a neighbour. Seem to remember that it was a bit quieter in the cab than the contemporary Bedfords, Leylands, and Seddons, and AECs I usually rode in at the time. Better sound proofing in the Trader?

Lance Biscomb:
Some tread on those tyres :open_mouth: :open_mouth: who has been playing with the photo :laughing: :laughing:

Well spotted Lance,even the checker can’t read the writing on the cases of■■?..whatever!!

David

5thwheel:

Lance Biscomb:
Some tread on those tyres :open_mouth: :open_mouth: who has been playing with the photo :laughing: :laughing:

Well spotted Lance,even the checker can’t read the writing on the cases of■■?..whatever!!

David

1.jpg

moomooland:

Would have been supplied by Cordiner’s in Great Western Road, I remember seeing one similar in their showroom in 1957.
Oily

TIDDERSON:

5thwheel:

Lance Biscomb:

David

Presumably some apprentice forgot the “This Way Up” stencil :question: :wink:

These Traders belonging to my late great uncle Issac Smiles could carry 14 Ton at 20 Ton gross, Not trouble free but they were double drive & were good for on/off road jobs, One of there runs was a load of shale from Seaton Burn pit heap, , Tip at Durham when the A 1M was being done then MT To Catterick load sand to Leeds tip then to Giggleswick for a load of Lime back to Greenside tip , Then another driver would load with shale for them ready for the next day, So he must have been making a few bob to say the least, Regards Larry.

Massive wing mirrors on those old Traders…still with the speed they did, and the amount of traffic on the road they probably didn’t need them…
Remember the standard 6 X 9 ( ? ) mirrors, £1 for a replacement glass…still got a couple some where, (think Mrs F uses them for doing her make-up )
Whack a mirror on today’s wagons and I bet you’d kiss goodbye to a hundred quid or more … :unamused:

These thanks to Ronnie Cameron (R.I.P.). George T Fraser had quite a few and the Murison one brings back memories, one of the family was in my class at school, they were scrap dealers.
Oily

Ronnie Ford 5800510035_1af1594f40_rco.jpg

Ronnie Ford 5821110556_aebea16f8drc_o.jpg

Ronnie Fraser 4458237626_324a698de6_orc.jpg

Fergie47:
Massive wing mirrors on those old Traders…still with the speed they did, and the amount of traffic on the road they probably didn’t need them…
Remember the standard 6 X 9 ( ? ) mirrors, £1 for a replacement glass…still got a couple some where, (think Mrs F uses them for doing her make-up )
Whack a mirror on today’s wagons and I bet you’d kiss goodbye to a hundred quid or more … :unamused:

The D1000 I ran had those so called “Western” mirrors and although I never broke one I had a near “do” on the A5 running into Tamworth one morning and this oncoming BRS AEC Mercury decided to pull out to pass a stationary motor and the ■■■■■■■ was sure cutting it fine and I was over to my nearside as close as poss. What a ■■■■■■■ bang, his mirror arm hit the back of my o/s mirror and left a bit of a dent but the mirror was OK. Matey’s mirror arm must have smacked his O/s window with some force, and I hoped it smashed it the cheeky ■■■■■■, it was him that was in the wrong :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis One of RWBs lads was going into Glasgow one morning round about Parkhead Cross traffic lights when a corporation bus came up on his inside and tapped his nearside mirror. Geordie was rather annoyed and made it obvious to the bus driver who became abusive, however the lights changed and they moved on to the next set which fortunately were at stop, Geordie gets out of cab walks round front of wagon the bus driver still shouting abuse but did not see the hammer in our hero’s hand which swiftly tapped the bus mirror telling him “theer noo marra, that two on us widoot a mirror, git on wid it, ta-ra !!”
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Hi Dennis One of RWBs lads was going into Glasgow one morning round about Parkhead Cross traffic lights when a corporation bus came up on his inside and tapped his nearside mirror. Geordie was rather annoyed and made it obvious to the bus driver who became abusive, however the lights changed and they moved on to the next set which fortunately were at stop, Geordie gets out of cab walks round front of wagon the bus driver still shouting abuse but did not see the hammer in our hero’s hand which swiftly tapped the bus mirror telling him “theer noo marra, that two on us widoot a mirror, git on wid it, ta-ra !!”
Cheers, Leyland 600

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Do you like the R&S on the Fraser Trader, Dennis? I don’t recall any of their lads on my Overpriced Courses!

Not many of this model about but this was at the Smallwood rally nr Sandbach today