THAMES TRADERS

Retired Old ■■■■:
Do you like the R&S on the Fraser Trader, Dennis? I don’t recall any of their lads on my Overpriced Courses!

There is no way either you me or anyone else could teach a Scotsman from N. East Scotland ROF how ‘ta improve his use o’ Haps,Skin and ropes and yes the sheeting and roping on that Trader is to their usual standard ! :wink: Cheers Dennis. :smiley:

So glad you posted picture of your Trader after our chat on Sunday at Springhouse Farm. I couldn’t believe it when I looked at the thread on Sunday evening and someone had beaten you to it with a picture of another one. It would be nice to see one or two more pictures please.

Aye Dennis the Doric speaking loons frae the North East of Scotland were masters of the roping and sheeting airt withoot a doot!!
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Aye Dennis the Doric speaking loons frae the North East of Scotland were masters of the roping and sheeting airt withoot a doot!!
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Wow, you took me back to age 15 there Leyland 600. We had a Scots lad at school and he would talk about (ignore the spelling, never seen it written down)

‘The Loonies and the Quynies’ - Quy to rhyme with cry not Quay!

John

John West:

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Wow, you took me back to age 15 there Leyland 600. We had a Scots lad at school and he would talk about (ignore the spelling, never seen it written down)

‘The Loonies and the Quynies’ - Quy to rhyme with cry not Quay!

John

Hi John, it’s quine. a few more:- lorry = larry, 4 axle wagon = a wheeler, sheet = hap, fly sheet = skin, starting handle= a crank, overalls= dungers(dungarees) top pocket favoured for load notes, flat cap bonnet = a caip, a jersey= maasie or gansey, a coat= kwite and that would have been ex army. Could go on but that’ll do for now, donn’t want to be accused of spikkin a load a keich :laughing:
Doric ma mither tongue.
Oily

Aye John, and Oily, I learned a lot of the Doric language from listening to Robbie Shepherd BBC Radio Scotland presenter of “Take the Floor” Scottish dance band programme on a Saturday night "plus he was the former transport manager / accountant for Claben Ltd of Aberdeen. He has also written two or trhree books all in dialect about life in the North East. Another tale, I was picking up a load of pensioners from a church group at Camelon, Falkirk next door to Alexanders Coachworks and former bus operating co headquarter to take down to ■■■■■■■ to stay in a Christian holiday establishment near Wigton, sitting in my seat just prior to setting off they were all chatting away again mostly in dialect, I knew they were talking about me as one lady was heard to say “He disnae ken whit we are talking aboot”, I turned to her and said “Oh but I dae ken whit ye are talking aboot, I read Oor Wullie and The Broons in the Sunday Post every week” They all burst out laughing and we got on great for the rest of the week, nearly all of them had connections with the Walter Alexander bus company either as road staff or working in the coachworks.
Cheers Leyland 600

wagon (2).jpg
IMGP0243.JPG
IMG_0222.jpg

Thats Stockport Road Levenshulme Paul had one or two pints in the Midway years ago.

Stanfield:
Thats Stockport Road Levenshulme Paul had one or two pints in the Midway years ago.

Yes i know John,

How about this one taken at the junction of Victoria Ave and Rochdale Rd Blackley with a Park Ona [now Park Cake] Thames Trader van.

Click on picture to view it full size.

I well remember the junction as it was then. Cracking photo Paul.

The A560 Altrincham Road at Sharston Wythenshawe on the 20th of March 1963.
The large building on the right is the long gone Sharston Hotel which was demolished in the 1980’s with Ability House now standing in its place.

A quaint little Trader here, not your usual layout. Franky.

Greetings,All.
Ref. Thames traders.Here is an old photo of Traders we had on the U.C.C fleet.If I have posted this before,apologies,but it is still worth another look.The trailers were York and CF mixed. Regards,900x20. :smiley:

UCC Traders.PNG

North Western Gas Board Thames Trader photographed in Liverpool, early 1960s.
They were known within the Gas Board as a “Mains Wagon”. The van bodywork
was a mobile workshop and stores, to enable the crew to attend to Mains gas leaks
and blockages. The little tank trailer at the rear was known as an “Allen Taylor”,
used for clearing blocked gas mains. They were fitted with a single cylinder petrol engine
from Petter or Wolseley. Picture courtesy of xkopite/Dave. Regards, Ray Smyth.

nwgbLp2.jpg

Operated by Harris Goldstein Ltd (Upholsterers) of Manchester this Thames Trader NC Reg No 1707 VR was new in 1963.

This was on the Jolly Boys Road Run through the Peak District over the weekend.Quite a few ran out of the quarries in Buxton during the 60s running stone into Manchester 3 load a day and always well overloaded and George Dew ran a fleet of them from their quarry in Carrbrook Stalybridge, 4 wheelers and 6 wheelers