Texting doesn’t count as using a mobile phone

robroy:

RoadsRat:

The-Snowman:
According to the cop who “caught” me, moving it from your dashboard to the centre console is enough for a three digit fine and three points

Yes. You cannot hold it. Not even briefly. The law cannot be any more ridiculous than that.

FTFY :unamused:

:laughing: :laughing:

So looking at a map or reading pre-written directions is a no no and we all did it wrong for years and years?

steviespain:
Does this just apply to mobile phones? I.e. if I pick it up to move it I can be done, if caught?

What about satnavs then?
Satnav is on the bottom right of windscreen, I’m hammering along an empty dual carriageway (No, it’s true) in my huge 44 tonne (7.5 t mini wagon :smiley:) And satnav says there’s traffic ahead and do I want avoid it?
I have the option now of tapping the screen to either A: carry on regardless or B: accept the route change.
Is that a fine, if caught?

Any touch screen in a car is a distraction and caught using a sat nav or touchscreen in your car comes under the same laws I do believe.

Sat nav almost certainly yet everyone does it from time to time.

Muckaway:
So looking at a map or reading pre-written directions is a no no and we all did it wrong for years and years?

Yep technically your not in complete control if the vehicle. That and by looking away your distracted for just long enough.

Yes we all did it and came to no harm but laws have to cater for the useless ■■■■ as well and everyone gets lumped in the same.

Found this today…interesting. As long as you are not using the device to actually communicate, it’s ok to use it.
A Judge has set precedent then :open_mouth:
pattersonlaw.co.uk/not-all- … w.facebook

I wonder how many appeals this decision has started :smiley:

Bloody irresponsible at best. Contrary to what they say about not encouraging people to ponse about with phones while driving: they are! What the ■■■■ is the difference, except on paper between phoning , texting, listening to paid for or downloading/streaming or playing a game on it. It’s all a bloody distraction from what you should be concentrating on.

what about if your phones in one of those holders thats on the dash. if i tap on its screen while its sat in the holder ,is that a no no? just asking

heres another dilemma i got to hear about this week . a guy i know has been threatened to get stabbed by a nutter who wants money . he called in plod who decided theyre not bothered as the nutter hasnt actually done anything
if you were sat at home and said nutter turned up knife in hand after money what would you do? chatting it thru amongst friends we decided best to shoot from a window with a crossbow

That one on the A40 ? was playing around with his phone that was in it’s holder wasn’t he? As for the nutter turning up at my house with a knife, I’d let the wife sort him out. :slight_smile:

must of seen half dozen hgv drivers from kent m25 up m11 a14 a1 and m62 yesterday using mobiles in hand either passing them or them overtaking me.mines on bluetooth connected to radio so all calls come through that data is off when driving then on when im on rest but im sleeping then if its a long wait

Just this week on one of those Follow the Fuzz programs, a Traffic Cop said “If we see you with your phone in your hand while driving, that is classed as using the phone, and we will nick you.” so there you are, straight from the knobheads mouth.

Blunder Man:
Just this week on one of those Follow the Fuzz programs, a Traffic Cop said “If we see you with your phone in your hand while driving, that is classed as using the phone, and we will nick you.” so there you are, straight from the knobheads mouth.

The A1 with the Geordie cop who followed that girl in the mini

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No it was either Traffic Cops or Police interceptors cant remember which one, as a matter of interest have you noticed in these days of a shortage of Fuzz, how many turn up for a good high speed chase?, try getting one to come round your house because the local “Travelling Community” or “Gangs of thieves” as they are known here have just nicked £700 quids worth of tools out of your shed, suddenly “there is no one available”, all out on car chases I suppose, last week on the bridge over the M180 near me there was 4 police cars and 6 Policemen clocking speeders.

RoadsRat:

The-Snowman:
According to the cop who “caught” me, moving it from your dashboard to the centre console is enough for a three digit fine and three points

Yes. You cannot hold it. Not even briefly. The law cannot be any clearer.

Didn’t that celebrity lawyer Nick ‘Mr Loophole’ Freeman get Jimmy Carr off on a technicality when he argued that Jimmy
was using his phone as a dictation device to record jokes and scripts or something like that? How does that work? :smiley:

Because it wasn’t being used as a communication device?
pattersonlaw.co.uk/not-all- … own-court-

What about using your phone as an iPod?
We have a Crown Court Judgment that agrees with us that this is NOT an offence prohibited by Regulation 110. Even if the phone is handheld at the time.
the caveat here is ‘using a mobile phone for communications purposes’.

steviespain:
Because it wasn’t being used as a communication device?
pattersonlaw.co.uk/not-all- … own-court-

What about using your phone as an iPod?
We have a Crown Court Judgment that agrees with us that this is NOT an offence prohibited by Regulation 110. Even if the phone is handheld at the time.
the caveat here is ‘using a mobile phone for communications purposes’.

Useful website info… thanks! :smiley:

Blunder Man:
No it was either Traffic Cops or Police interceptors cant remember which one, as a matter of interest have you noticed in these days of a shortage of Fuzz, how many turn up for a good high speed chase?, try getting one to come round your house because the local “Travelling Community” or “Gangs of thieves” as they are known here have just nicked £700 quids worth of tools out of your shed, suddenly “there is no one available”, all out on car chases I suppose, last week on the bridge over the M180 near me there was 4 police cars and 6 Policemen clocking speeders.

That’s because speeding is such a heanous crime, and the perpetrators are the re-incarnation of the beelsebub himself. You have been warned… O and it’s easy money, commonly known as pro-active policing/targeted.

You don’t need to touch the things any more, at all, once you have started work, set them up in a holder with the screen unlocked, get yourself a good bluetooth hands free earpiece (some of which will answer or reject incoming calls for you with voice command) and you can also use the voice control system of many smartphones to make the call to a number already listed/named on the phone for you.
Same system can be used for texting, simply ask it to ‘text X’ then dictate the message and when it prompts you say ‘send’ and away it goes…now what the legalities of texting by voice command are i do not know, and for the record i don’t do this, but there really is no reason for a copper to see you touch your phone on the road because the technology is there now so you don’t have to.

Yes the above is going to cost a few quid, the hands free earpiece with voice control will be upwards of £60, and no, decent drivers didn’t need to go to these extreme measures because the are capable of driving a bloody lorry without sitting bolt upright gripping the wheel like a vice and pressing their nose to the screen, but one size fits all is the new mantra and we’re all assumed to be as useless as the worse out there, so don’t fight it just keep yourself out of the mire by doing it differently.
Mind you i expect all mobile phone calls on the move whilst driving, hands free or not, will be outlawed before too much longer.

Given that the vast majority of people can use their phones without wiping out busloads of kitten carrying nuns, maybe it’s time for an extension to the driving license. Just like an extra test proves you can drive with a trailer, maybe a different test to prove you can drive whilst using a phone. Pulled by a copper and show him you’re entitlement to use a phone whilst driving. Bobs your uncle.

Nite Owl:
Given that the vast majority of people can use their phones without wiping out busloads of kitten carrying nuns, maybe it’s time for an extension to the driving license. Just like an extra test proves you can drive with a trailer, maybe a different test to prove you can drive whilst using a phone. Pulled by a copper and show him you’re entitlement to use a phone whilst driving. Bobs your uncle.

Now could this be the stoopist post yet award…

biggriffin:

Nite Owl:

Now could this be the stoopist post yet award…

To be fair mate I know he’s a bit tongue in cheek, but it’s a fair point he makes I reckon in terms of capability.
Before it became illegal I (and millions of others) was well capable of using a phone while driving without causing total carnage, mainly as I aint some kind of incompetent bufoon who can’t do two things at once.
You talk and watch the road at same time, what’s so difficult.
No different from using a CB (don’t anymore btw) talking to a passenger, adjusting your radio, scratching your arse or anything else you can think of deemed legal (despite what the gullible will tell you after swallowing all the official rhetoric dog ■■■■)

As for driving with one hand…I have done just that for 30 + yrs, it’s just what I find comfortable, not trying to be clever it’s just what I do,.and I’m still in one (beautiful.and hunky :smiley: ) piece.

…and no I don’t use a phone whilst driving now, other than hands free.
So yeh…I see his point.but still say texting is a step too far.