Texting whilst driving

We all know its illegal and a bit dodgy to text whilst driving, so is anybody else a bit surprised that radio stations all over the country seem to do nothing to discourage it?

When listenin to the radio, particularly on the overnight programmes, they always seem to be reading text messages out from people that are “driving down to Cornwall” or “trucking back home up the M6” etc. Granted the ones who say they are on such or such a road could well be passengers but I bet most of them aren’t.

Anybody else ever thought this?

I noticed that on radio 1, they say mike the trucker on the m1 has texted in saying…
why the ■■■■ people text into radio staions in the first place puzzles me :confused: its not as if they are your best mates is it :laughing:

I think predictive text should be outlawed totally.

“Will be a bit late, Stuck in massive Steve”

“I am running late due to thick dog”

I was dumped today because of a text I accidentally sent to my girlfriend.

I can’t use predictive text; and she is now adamant that I want to ‘kick her puppy’

Although texting is indeed very dangerous, what is a lot more concerning is that people seem to feel the need to communicate with some pillock of a DJ. :unamused:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think it is illegal to use your phone whilst driving…I’ll explain.

I think the law says it’s illegal to HOLD your phone whilst driving, which also includes resting it on your shoulder and tilting your head to hold it in position, making you look majorly disabled.

I think if it’s in a cradle, then you can still use your phone to text and make calls. However, if you’re involved in an accident or weaving all over the road and you’re pulled over and the copper finds out you were using your phone, even if its in a cradle, then they can do you for driving without due care and attention.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

Adam_Mc:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think it is illegal to use your phone whilst driving…I’ll explain.

I think the law says it’s illegal to HOLD your phone whilst driving, which also includes resting it on your shoulder and tilting your head to hold it in position, making you look majorly disabled.

I think if it’s in a cradle, then you can still use your phone to text and make calls. However, if you’re involved in an accident or weaving all over the road and you’re pulled over and the copper finds out you were using your phone, even if its in a cradle, then they can do you for driving without due care and attention.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

The offence is using a hand held device whilst driving. If it’s in your hand, irrespective of whether you are using it, the offence is complete.
If it’s mounted to the vehicle via a cradle etc, there is no offence.

Truckers are the biggest culprits, using their phones as if the law doesn’t affect them…haven’t you lads heard of hands free ?

Bi-Trucker:
Truckers are the biggest culprits, using their phones as if the law doesn’t affect them…haven’t you lads heard of hands free ?

No…what is this hands free you speak of? Have they invented something that pairs up with the bluetooth on your phone?

Derf:

Adam_Mc:

Correct me if I’m wrong.

The offence is using a hand held device whilst driving. If it’s in your hand, irrespective of whether you are using it, the offence is complete.
If it’s mounted to the vehicle via a cradle etc, there is no offence.

I’ll wait to be corrected but I would have thought that texting whilst driving constitutes “driving without due care and attention” even if the phone is in a cradle.

slow2run:
Although texting is indeed very dangerous, what is a lot more concerning is that people seem to feel the need to communicate with some pillock of a DJ. :unamused:

Especially a Heart FM one where people strangely request a song that’s already been played several times; (zb)it like JLS, Dirty Dancing music, Take That etc…
And the worst offenders, the “Hi Steve, love the show…” tossers. :imp:

people texting always do it with the phone on their laps
so are not seeing the road
crazy ZBs
just ring

Bi-Trucker:

we’re just better drivers and capable of multi tasking while driving