Teaching someone to reverse?

slowlane:
As far as I know, grabbing neutral is what the box does if you’re asking for too much torque at the point it goes to change. Less right foot should stop that, providing the box is otherwise fine! [emoji38] [emoji38]

Ah, I see.
To get more torque and power in order to accelerate through a roundabout, you give less right pedal. I’ll try that.[emoji2]

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Juddian:
I doubt your lot would like him doing what i do, that is windows up drivers door held open with right mitt, there’s several reasons for this and i’ve only ever been challenged about it by one jobsworth who failed to see the irony when i pointed out all the damage to the rear of their fleet of DD’s from their own drivers who don’t look :unamused: , hey ho.

I would suggest he opens window and sticks head out (he can open the bloody door and get a better view if the fancy takes him when he’s no longer in your charge), that way he can see all the tractor wheels and the direct face on results of his steering inputs not in a reversed form in a mirror, we all know it takes a lot of practice to do anything other than almost straight or blindside reverses in mirrors alone.

Another reason for head out window (and one of the reasons i’m leaning out the with door windows up for maximum sound reflection) is sound itself, should anyone call out or any untoward noise if summats wrong you want to be able to hear as well as possible when maneuvering, no bugger should ever be behind your lorry but people trip arse over and do silly things and i want to hear the poor sod who possibly by his own misadventure has put himself in harms way before a tragedy happens.

He’ll find what suits himself along the road in his own time, i bet among 100 of us long termers there’s not two us do things exactly the same way.

You should only use your mirrors, if you do what this post says you will never get the confidence
That’s always a sign of a driver who has not got experience or has not got the confidence to use his mirrors it sticks out a mile that the person who does this hasn’t got a clue

Franglais:

slowlane:
As far as I know, grabbing neutral is what the box does if you’re asking for too much torque at the point it goes to change. Less right foot should stop that, providing the box is otherwise fine! [emoji38] [emoji38]

Ah, I see.
To get more torque and power in order to accelerate through a roundabout, you give less right pedal. I’ll try that.[emoji2]

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

:laughing:

It’s how I stopped my Actros from doing it. An old hand asked me how much difference accelerating hard/suddenly to start with actually makes to how quickly you get onto the roundabout and away. I tried it his way, and can’t say that I found a noticeable difference. At first it felt extremely slow, but I reckon that was due to not feeling the surge of power. I didn’t notice that I was needing more space or suddenly finding I was pulling out on people.

bald bloke:

Juddian:

bald bloke:

Juddian:
I’ve got spoiled in that for the last number of years i’ve usually had one tractor and one trailer allocated to me, so you learn intimately how that vehicle will respond, if i had to drive a different lorry and different trailer type every day then i’d be every bit as bad as our newbies feeling their feet for the first time.
With maneuvering you never stop learning, or making ■■■■■ ups.

Waiting to hear if Bald Bloke’s trainee passed :sunglasses: , and BB’s subsequent invitation to join the training team :wink:

He had his test/assessment last Monday but I’ve been on holiday for the last 9 days but back in Wednesday so I’ll try and find out for you. As for joining the training team I don’t mind helping out occasionally but that’s definitely as far as it’ll go and I can’t wait to get back out on my own again :wink:

Toppo, we’re all hoping for the best for the lad and for you :sunglasses: , and also hoping the company reap their just rewards for putting some time money and effort into bringing their people on, not just in actual on the road results, but also it should help long term staff retention where people feel valued and generally appreciate if they have a good number.

Like you i wouldn’t want to be a full time trainer, i’d go bloody mad sitting beside someone displaying brakes to slow gears to go cobblers in a lorry, or not allowing the engine to warm up or cool down before and after working it hard :imp:

It’ll be interesting to see how the young lady from the warehouse got on too as she was also a newbie and she was out with a driver on the afternoon shift. I know a couple of new drivers from the warehouse have had few knocks in their first few months but the company do seem very tolerant with them.

He passed with flying colours according to the trainer so i’m pleased for the lad.

Excellent, well done him.

And well done you BB :sunglasses: , i suspect you’ll be doing some more of that hands on training in due course.

Juddian:

And well done you BB :sunglasses: , i suspect you’ll be doing some more of that hands on training in due course.

Yeah I don’t mind as it won’t be too often, it was nice being on me own today though I will admit :wink:

bald bloke:

Juddian:

Yeah I don’t mind as it won’t be too often, it was nice being on me own today though I will admit :wink:

I get board sitting in the left hand seat did it for 5 weeks :unamused: never again

nick2008:

bald bloke:

Juddian:

I get board sitting in the left hand seat did it for 5 weeks :unamused: never again

It depends how long the run is, 2 short runs being better all round.