Teaching someone to reverse?

bald bloke:
Well slowly but surely he’s getting better but we are on our 11th day now, anyway all round driving also improving and he goes in front of driver trainer later in the week for his assessment to see if he’s allowed to be “let loose”.

Have you just said go park it up over there and wandered off but kept a sneaky eye on him.

nick2008:

bald bloke:
Well slowly but surely he’s getting better but we are on our 11th day now, anyway all round driving also improving and he goes in front of driver trainer later in the week for his assessment to see if he’s allowed to be “let loose”.

Have you just said go park it up over there and wandered off but kept a sneaky eye on him.

No I’ve stuck reasonably close to him we don’t need any mis-haps. I’ll be glad to have the cab to myself though :smiley:

bald bloke:

nick2008:

bald bloke:

No I’ve stuck reasonably close to him we don’t need any mis-haps. I’ll be glad to have the cab to myself though :smiley:

Give some space up the top of the yard by the fuel pumps get him to practice going from one side to the other while you go over to the pumps to check on something :wink:

Might be too late now, but the thing really took me from “clearly a newbie” to “reasonable” was an experienced driver telling me to bend it as much as I thought I needed, then centre the steering and watch to see how it develops. Then add a bit more, or take some off, straighten the steering after each adjustment.

I nearly gave up with his method, because at first it seemed to make me worse, not better! But he had warned me it would be very clunky and involve a lot of shunts to begin with, but to stick with it because you’ll start to learn how much bend does what and when you need to take it off. He was right, too - once I got the hang of the technique I’ve been getting smoother and more accurate slowly but surely.

I’ve never really struggled with reversing, just seem to have taken to it… I find the thing that really helps is to hang my head out the window and watch the trailer doing its thing, adding more or less as required… blindsiding took a lot more effort but I’ve gotten there I believe [emoji846] hope all is going well! [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give him time and give him space… he’ll get there eventually.

The important thing … the really important thing, is to make sure that he knows that c#cking it up is both understandable and, especially when you first start, normal - as long as you learn from it.
Even us old lags (Juddian, Rob Roy, me, et al) occasionally (very occasionally) ■■■■ it up!

best tip I ever had when reversing, as soon as you put the lock on start taking it off.

m.a.n rules:
best tip I ever had when reversing, as soon as you put the lock on start taking it off.

Where’s the logic in that [zb]

SouthEastCashew:

m.a.n rules:

Where’s the logic in that [zb]

if you need it explaining to you god help us. :unamused:

I turned up to Costco Crick on my first day and it was stupidly busy, i got given a bay between two trucks and thought oh ■■■■!! I pulled round, opened my doors and walked over to the guy in his truck on the bay next to mine and asked him to reverse it on the bay but talk me through how hes doing it because you’re taught to pass a test not real life skills on your training and my worst worry was not knowing/being able to see what was on my left side and how close i was to it. He jumped in and the tip he gave me was "as long as your trailer wheels are nice and close to the line on your right side then you have plenty of space on the left side… once i shifted the worry of what was going on down my nearside when there was nothing to even worry about, going backwards became so much easier! No one will tell their mates about the lad who asked the guy to park his truck, everyone will tell the story about the guy who wiped out 2 trucks trying to! Always ask if you’re unsure is something every new pass should have drilled into their head!

Win-Stone:
Give him time and give him space… he’ll get there eventually.

The important thing … the really important thing, is to make sure that he knows that c#cking it up is both understandable and, especially when you first start, normal - as long as you learn from it.
Even us old lags (Juddian, Rob Roy, me, et al) occasionally (very occasionally) ■■■■ it up!

Oy less of the old :laughing: :laughing:

Oh boy i can still make ■■■■ ups believe me, normally when there’s an audience.

My secret if there is one with these new rubbish automated lorries is to fine tune the clutch engagement so you get minimal movement without it becoming a judder, sounds simple but with arsetronic boxes especially getting that fine tune takes a bloody lot longer and more practice and feel than you might imagine, NBG going at it full pelt even in lowest crawler/maneuver gear, slowly slowly wins the day.

By the way can i just say again how impressed i am with the company involved here.
What a change to find a company who sees the benefit of giving someone the benefits, and not just financial, of real hands on in depth training, and IMO no one better than an old hand of the right temperament.

Big round of applause for the employer here, some of us know who they are, but it’s the OP’s choice whether to name them, either way Chapeau :sunglasses:

Asda is the company, this week should be our final week which will equate to about 17 days of training then he’s in front of the trainer for an assessment which I hope he passes obviously, there’s also another ex warehouse operative learning and SHE is out on the afternoon shift for a few weeks with her chaperone. Obviously it would have been easier for the company to advertise for drivers and get someone with let’s say 20 yrs experience in but they do give loyal hardworking employees a chance.

Well done to Asda, if only more companies were as good as they appear.

Asda is to be congratulated on their approach which is clearly the way forward.

Passing the driving test demonstrates a basic level of competence. The huge majority of new drivers will benefit from further “on the job” training specific to that particular job.

It is obviously impossible for trainers to offer training for every type of work, using every different type of truck and gearbox etc etc etc. So some input from the employer is beneficial to the driver and the company. It’s becoming more common for this to happen but it’s certainly not always the case.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Well done bald bloke and we’ll done Asda.

Don’t know if this will lelp anyone but it’s definitely made it click with me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ERBXAqN7c&list=FL_AIAScaAFiZ2ARitGGSrCA&index=1 Luke C with a lot of reversing with good camera angles

Rat67:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ERBXAqN7c&list=FL_AIAScaAFiZ2ARitGGSrCA&index=1 Luke C with a lot of reversing with good camera angles

^ that’s not me :smiley:

I am coming to the end of my 3rd week and the reversing is getting better, still not good though. I had 2 weeks with another driver and on my own this week. That was really helpful.

How long did it take you guys to get good?

I spent 3 days trying to use mirrors like in test situation before sticking head out of the window which helps me no end

LukeCinaHGV:

Rat67:

^ that’s not me :smiley:

Lol, sorry Luke, I’d been watching your channel at the time I wrote this :smiley: Should have said Mark Pritchard :blush:

kcrussell25:
I am coming to the end of my 3rd week and the reversing is getting better, still not good though. I had 2 weeks with another driver and on my own this week. That was really helpful.

How long did it take you guys to get good?

I spent 3 days trying to use mirrors like in test situation before sticking head out of the window which helps me no end

I`ll promise to let you know when I get good.
3 decades so far, and still room for improvement.