Tarmac tippers

Stanfield:
One from Trinidad Lake Asphalt do any of you lads remember this company from the 50s/60s
transportphotos.com/road/photos

Plus a more upto date Tarmac M.A.N

Yes, they had a Tar Plant at Blaydon, I used to deliver imported ashpalt covered up with brown paper, roundish shaped about the size of a 5 gallon drum, difficult so secure after the Dockers had their hands on them, The also had a plant at East Layton, off the A 66 not far from Scotch Corner, Smiles for Miles had some 6 wheelers worked out of there in the 60s Regards Larry.

My new scania 6 wheeler in 2002…

thelongdrag:
Always enjoy the pics you post Dave and that first one with the snow capped hills is a smasher,almost a calender pic.The ladies done good.Regards Mike.

We were lucky that day Mike.I could see the lorry coming in the distance and the driver Peter Lloyd is a mate that I’ve known all my life who knew we would be taking pictures slowed just right for Tracy to snap the lorry.Alan Spillett has a copy of that,so maybe one day he will paint it.
Cheers Dave.

altitude:
:lol: :laughing:

BonkeyDollocks:
Here’s a great piece of film building a stretch of road in Stourbridge by Tarmac’s subsidiary ‘Prestwich’.

Note the chinese six Commer and the lean on at 0:26! :open_mouth:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q06MZ2StkTc

Don’t like the lean on that Commer :open_mouth: I bet his ■■■ was biting lumps out of the seat. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bit like these two lads eh? :open_mouth: :laughing: Funny how it was the older stuff that had mither with the old lean to! Wouldn’t get it today!

BonkeyDollocks:

altitude:
:lol: :laughing:

BonkeyDollocks:
Here’s a great piece of film building a stretch of road in Stourbridge by Tarmac’s subsidiary ‘Prestwich’.

Note the chinese six Commer and the lean on at 0:26! :open_mouth:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q06MZ2StkTc

Don’t like the lean on that Commer :open_mouth: I bet his ■■■ was biting lumps out of the seat. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bit like these two lads eh? :open_mouth: :laughing: Funny how it was the older stuff that had mither with the old lean to! Wouldn’t get it today!

Looks like if the driver of the bottom one jumped out the bloody thing would go over :open_mouth:

Ah the ‘good old days’ of twin rams eh, pleased that they went out of fashion! :unamused: Had plenty of ‘ar*e clenching’ moments with single ones as well though. :open_mouth:

Pete.

windrush:
Ah the ‘good old days’ of twin rams eh, pleased that they went out of fashion! :unamused: Had plenty of ‘ar*e clenching’ moments with single ones as well though. :open_mouth:

Pete.

Hi Pete .Yes no the feeling.I think it was only the corner of the body jammed in the pan keeping it upright,althought I think some machine drivers liked to operate the feed chain on the opposite side to the lean to make us sweat a bit more.Just used to hope the tubes and collars held. Mike.

First tarmac of 2012. A6 near Garstang

More great photos :smiley: Just wondering is there now a standard spec for Tarmac tippers? As in electric sheets alloys etc?
Cheers
John

Nice picture!!! That Scania runs out of Clitheroe owned by Jim Fort. Yes full Tarmac spec! electric rollover sheets,Rear view cameras in the cab,alloys,air tailgates, NOT FORGETTING YOUR P.P.E.

0Here’s one BD if you have seen it before my apologies.A big Aveling one of those that serviced the crusher at Middle Peak,the driver Im sure is a young Michael Smith who joined the o/d ranks later on. Mike.
(Well it is khaki and got the seven Ts on)

That’s a fine photo Mike, anything with the old khaki on is good to me. :slight_smile:

As a slight departure, I’m posting a pic a friend sent to me late last week. Don’t usually make a point of putting up pics of the new stuff but I can’t help thinking that this Scanny looks the part. Pictured in Dene 06/01/12.

Also putting this pic up as I find it strange that with the fashion of ‘split doors’, the tipper furthest from the camera has an old style fixed back door.

And a few others:

Nice pictures BD. The yellow Volvo M887 was Terry Eastwoods loading under 4 front on the bottom plant in Bankfield Clitheroe,the ERF in the same picture is one of about 8 trucks that came up from Staines, For about 6 months they wiped the floor in Clitheroe,stole all the part time drivers of the Clitheroe Od,s paided them big money to run their trucks then left!!! The next picture is yours truly driving the Scania H445 WGG up the back road from the bottom plant after loading. The truck came from Scotland and had a lightweight steel body fitted by the guy who bought it, John Kinder. John went on to buy a Foden F447 EAO 8 legger from Wildmans near Settle,them bought a Volvo K48 XBA from Guy Benson in Clitheroe. Before packing up in about 1995. Just a bit of history there for you. :grimacing:

Cheers for the info mate, always good to get some background to the pics where possible.

I didn’t take the pics BTW, they were emailed to me by a lad I know that’s on the lookout for any khaki tippers. (I have an army out there! :wink: )

Here’s a varied one, from Tarmac South Africa in 1986…

Bang up to date, one of the South Wales Contract Hauliers, the clean looking Renault of N.Parsons, pictured at Llanwern

New in 2002 to Steve Davis, from Stowfield Quarry, pictured outside Bulkrite in Dorrington, Shrewsbury, later became S2 FAD, and still running as that today, out of Bayston Hill, owned by Fred Dulson…

I remember Fred Dulson from my Ballidon days, didn’t he used to have an artic and trailer?

Pete.

Thats the one, had the late John Austin’s Leyland artic reg M14 DAF (I think), then the Volvo artic, then the eight wheeler…here he is !