Out and about in Staffordshire

On sunday afternoon,I found myself with a bit of spare time so jumped in the motor and nipped over to Caldon Low to see if anything new was parked up ! I counted 16 tippers and the oldest was a 52 plate ! There’s still some money to be made in carting black about ! :sunglasses:

I took a shot of inside the back of the body of one of the tippers after spotting what can only be described as ‘red tar’ stuck to the back door.I guess they’ve started putting dye in with tarmac. :confused: Maybe for school playgrounds etc.

After coming away from Caldon,I ventured down into nearby Wredon quarry,an ex Wimpey/Tarmac quarry that’s been disused for a number of years even though the plant is still in situ.Couldn’t resist taking a few shots of the tar plant ! :laughing:

I think they use part of the snake pit for something as this was parked up in the old storage bays ! :open_mouth: Certainly wasn’t there last summer when I was previously over !

After Wredon,I went over to Ramshorn and Kevin quarry,another Tarmac owned quarry.This is ex Tilcon I believe.Nothing really interesting other than this,I presume employed on internal duties.

Nice photos again Bonkey :slight_smile: Those Globetrotter cabs would be a bit impractical where I work. :smiley:

Good photos Bonkey. Have you got any more! Alan Mcguinnes, P.S. Roberts. Any newish tarmac spec tippers.

Awesome pictures Bonkey, Looked past your avatar this time lol. I see Dave Lears had a new truck, used to do a bit for him at night on his old 03 plate six wheel Daf.

bugcos:
Awesome pictures Bonkey, Looked past your avatar this time lol. I see Dave Lears had a new truck, used to do a bit for him at night on his old 03 plate six wheel Daf.

Nice one mate.Nice to know you can see past the ‘distracting’ avatar. :wink:

Can I ask if you ever worked out of Wredon at all or the old Redland place next door ? Just trying to find out when each quarry shut down. :confused:

Sorry mate only worked out of Caldon on Daves tipper at night will ask me old man tho he did tippers most of his life

Cheers mate,much appreciated.

Coming from SOT,do you remember the old Tarmac (slag) plant that was near Festival Gardens ? Etruria I think it’s called that way.Never took any pics back in the 80s but wish to God I did as I remember Tarmac didn’t have their own fleet there but called them in from all over the shop.Caldon,Shrewsbury,Manchester even North Wales popped in.They had plenty of different variations of lorries at that time.

mint tipper pics m8

I see loads of nice tarmac rigids round somerset goin to torr works

gt loads of pics I’ll upload em soon

george-D:
mint tipper pics m8

I see loads of nice tarmac rigids round somerset goin to torr works

gt loads of pics I’ll upload em soon

Good stuff mate.Can’t wait to see what you have ! :slight_smile:

This was taken in the summer of '96 (sound like Bryan Adams there :unamused: :laughing:).Mr Barleyman has come a long way since then ! :wink:

Cracking stuff as usual Bonkey.

You are lucky to find Tarmac wagons with normal plates, round here they’ve all gone private-reg mad! :unamused: I think they are getting bashful about having new ones! :smiley:

Also, red tar is bloody horrid stuff, very sticky. What tends to make it worse is that it is usually ordered in fairly small quantities (goes cold quick) and is often handlaid on site (makes problem worse).

Lots of diesel before loading and a good shovelling action afterwards are often required! :smiley:

hammer:

You are lucky to find Tarmac wagons with normal plates, round here they’ve all gone private-reg mad! :unamused: I think they are getting bashful about having new ones! :smiley:

Also, red tar is bloody horrid stuff, very sticky. What tends to make it worse is that it is usually ordered in fairly small quantities (goes cold quick) and is often handlaid on site (makes problem worse).

Lots of diesel before loading and a good shovelling action afterwards are often required! :smiley:

Lots of diesel before loading ? :open_mouth: Really ? With the price of the stuff,I’d have thought using gallons of mucky water would have been a better option.

Great photos! Always interesting to learn about a different part of the industry. I see loads of tippers round my local area. There are some very nice ones on the road.
Just some quick questions, do driver spend nights away on this type of work? Some of the tippers above have quite big cabs on them. Do drivers prefer having big cabs for storage etc or do some companies travel nationwide? Doesnt it affect the payload?

Grasshopper:
Great photos! Always interesting to learn about a different part of the industry. I see loads of tippers round my local area. There are some very nice ones on the road.
Just some quick questions, do driver spend nights away on this type of work? Some of the tippers above have quite big cabs on them. Do drivers prefer having big cabs for storage etc or do some companies travel nationwide? Doesnt it affect the payload?

To my mind,I don’t think there’s any nights out on the quarry lark.The wagons simply don’t do the distance.Having said that,there’s a Tarmac quarry near me at Stoney Middleton that’s ex Wimpeys that produces a cut back version of tarmac called Retardamac.They take this long distance down as far as London,Norwich and even into Kent.But I think they make it back in the day and that’s with picking granite up from Leicester and dropping it at say Dene quarry at Cromford Hill.

And as for the sleeper cabs,I was once told that drivers on the quarry jobs specify them as they hold their value well and increase the sell on value.Unsure if this is the exact reason why,but I’m willing to stand corrected.

I,ve got a sleeper on my eight wheeler and use it. I only run one truck but have a driver on it by day and I drive it by night. Most night work is finished by 4am at the latetest I then drive to the quarry the lorry is working at the next day, and jump in the bunk to my driver comes up in the van.This saves time money and diesel.And as you said BD it helps with the resale value, also the standard fitted night heater helps in winter.As for using diesel in the ■■■■ I buy cooking oil for it but anything is better than waisting time and loosing money scrapeing out with a shovel. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Big Bear:
I,ve got a sleeper on my eight wheeler and use it. I only run one truck but have a driver on it by day and I drive it by night. Most night work is finished by 4am at the latetest I then drive to the quarry the lorry is working at the next day, and jump in the bunk to my driver comes up in the van.This saves time money and diesel.And as you said BD it helps with the resale value, also the standard fitted night heater helps in winter.As for using diesel in the ■■■■ I buy cooking oil for it but anything is better than waisting time and loosing money scrapeing out with a shovel. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Very good BB,see the sense in what you do ! :sunglasses:

I remember years back,a lad I used to ride shotgun with had a Y reg F7 eight legger with sleeper cab with a standard ultralight Neville Charrold body on quarry work.It wasn’t insulated but he still carried tarmac including dense bit. and HRA.Anyways,when I used to go with him at school holidays and saturday mornings,he always got a load of black and obviously had to join a queue to tip.needless to say,the boots came off and he was soon counting Zs in the bunk whilst waiting his turn,leaving me to wander round the lorries waiting to tip and catching up with the gossip ! :sunglasses: Happy days indeed ! :smiley:

BonkeyDollocks:

hammer:

Lots of diesel before loading ? :open_mouth: Really ? With the price of the stuff,I’d have thought using gallons of mucky water would have been a better option.

You don’t use that much diesel, just a layer that stops it sticking too bad. If you use too much it can discolour the tar. Its just crap stuff and I don’t like carrying it.