Tarmac tippers

hiya bonkey , that erf 8 legger 432l is being driven by the late harry evans . a driver at hughes bros , after the tarmac takeover he became driver trainer , ( note the collar and tie ) cheers , dave

Cheers for the info Rigsby.

Where was the wagon based, Waterswallows, Hillhead or the Pike?

Remember me old man saying there were a few based at Tunstead when the motorways we being put through round M/cr and the old tar plant was operating!

top pics bonkey,got any more f7s?
moose

Hi BD.
Some good scene’s there mate.
The Photo in Cawdor shows Ian Fowkes Scania as you can see,Royce Dakin’s M.A.N,Tony Walter’s Foden,Neville Boulton’s Merc.and David McDonald’s Clydesdale who I think you have a close up coming of the weighbridge in Dene in his Freighter that he had after.Regards Mike.

Is Tony Walters still around Mike, I used to (try!) and run with him up at Crich but he seemed to have a lot more power than me and no nerves! First Foden that I had seen with an automatic sheet, he would be folding it back as soon as he turned in the quarry entrance and would load and set off again while I was still dragging my sheet over. :blush:

Pete.

This was the first wagon I ever saw with an automatic sheet, Pete, this Routeman owned by ‘Jasper’ Goodwin and pictured here at Tunstead in 1981.

The regular driver was Andy Farlam and he was on dust regular to the brickworks at Smalldale hence the need for the sheet. The poor b@st@rd lost his life in a fatal accident at the brickworks when he fell in the hopper after sending the body up then opened the backdoor with him behind it! The load forced him in the hopper and he never made it out alive. :frowning:

Anyway, here’s the same lorry when it was owned previously by Jimmy Hearson, pictured (I think) at Wimpey’s Darlton quarry:

windrush:
Is Tony Walters still around Mike, I used to (try!) and run with him up at Crich but he seemed to have a lot more power than me and no nerves! First Foden that I had seen with an automatic sheet, he would be folding it back as soon as he turned in the quarry entrance and would load and set off again while I was still dragging my sheet over. :blush:

Pete.

Hello Pete.
Don’t know where Tony Walters is or if he’s still an OD I started at M.Peak in 1970 and Tony was there then. IIRC he worked for Prestwich Mac. when they moved down from Intake Quarry but you know what tricks the memory plays so don’t take that as gospel. Regards Mike.

Hello
Heres a ■■■■■■■■ tarmac tipper, which is owned by Tarmac subbie, David Graham of Dalston. David Graham hauls gravel out of Cardewless Gravel Quarry.
Regards
■■■■■■■■ Gill

BonkeyDollocks:

In this pic, what are all those cars doing on the sliproad?

Apparently it was the opening of a stretch of the M56 and I’m guessing the line of cars were various dignitaries and associated media invited for the event.

I know its not a khaki Bonky but its a Tarmac
transportphotos.com/road/photos (Bob Hobbs collection)

DAF Tarmac RH01890-01.jpg

sorry, the clip wont upload :confused:

One from Trinidad Lake Asphalt do any of you lads remember this company from the 50s/60s
transportphotos.com/road/photos
HuD0612 Trinidad Lake Asphalt Bedford.jpg
Plus a more upto date Tarmac M.A.N
RC00038-34 Tarmac MAN.jpg

I do remember Trinidad Lake Asphalt John, and it’s ‘rival’ company Val De Travers (the name of another lake in Trinidad) became part of TILCON, firstly as TILCON TRAVERS but later as just TILCON.

Pete.

As its Christmas, thought I’d post a few more “different” ones…you can have it in any colour, not just black !

Here’s a great piece of film building a stretch of road in Stourbridge by Tarmac’s subsidiary ‘Prestwich’.

Note the chinese six Commer and the lean on at 0:26! :open_mouth:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q06MZ2StkTc

This is the A 1 just outside Newcastle, Regards Larry.

Always enjoy the pics you post Dave and that first one with the snow capped hills is a smasher,almost a calender pic.The ladies done good.Regards Mike.

:laughing: :laughing:

BonkeyDollocks:
Here’s a great piece of film building a stretch of road in Stourbridge by Tarmac’s subsidiary ‘Prestwich’.

Note the chinese six Commer and the lean on at 0:26! :open_mouth:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q06MZ2StkTc

Don’t like the lean on that Commer :open_mouth: I bet his ■■■ was biting lumps out of the seat. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: