Tankers

A few utilities Vac tanks

Not a very good shot this one (sorry)

Just found an old worn photo booklet,with some rather marked and folded pictures.I have cleaned this one up a bit to see if they are any good.
They are publicity shots from 1950/51 for the new Big Bedford S type as you will know,and there are some tankers so if anyone’s interested I will put them on.
The writeup for this states.
One of the Esso Petroleum Companies fleet of Bedford 2,400 gallon articulated tankers.The tractor unit is fitted with a Carrimore turntable,and the stepped,frameless tank trailer ensures minimum overall height.The four compartment tanks were designed and built by the Steel Barrel Co.Ltd.Unladen weight 6 tons.Overall length 27ft.9ins.

Stanfield:
A couple from the Shellmex fleet under the loading gantrys0

That looks like it was taken at Kingsbury. It’s where the bunker pumps are now.

thelongdrag:
0Just found an old worn photo booklet,with some rather marked and folded pictures.I have cleaned this one up a bit to see if they are any good.
They are publicity shots from 1950/51 for the new Big Bedford S type as you will know,and there are some tankers so if anyone’s interested I will put them on.
The writeup for this states.
One of the Esso Petroleum Companies fleet of Bedford 2,400 gallon articulated tankers.The tractor unit is fitted with a Carrimore turntable,and the stepped,frameless tank trailer ensures minimum overall height.The four compartment tanks were designed and built by the Steel Barrel Co.Ltd.Unladen weight 6 tons.Overall length 27ft.9ins.

I worked for A E Evans Regent Transport out of their Sheffield depot from 1970 - 1979 and apart from a six wheeled Albion they once ran I thought all their fleet was AEC.They ran this Bedford “S” type at one time,wonder if it is ex Esso like the one above?
I’d like to see the other old photos please longdrag.

Chris

Eg. A load comprising of Petrol, Diesel and Kerosene is marked as a full load of petrol.
A load comprising of Diesel and Kerosene is marked as a full load of Kerosene.
A load comprising of just Diesel is marked as a full load of … err… Diesel. :grimacing:

Hi, just one thing i noticed that is not quite correct. you are not allowed to load kerosene with petrol. This is to prevent any crossover, and accidentally puting petrol into someones heating tank and boiler.

Hello Chris.Yes they all seem to have London regs.I suppose thats because the Major oil companies had offices there.Here’s a Mobil one from 1952 looking very smart you’ll notice on all these pics the chrome embellisments on the front grill.I was lorry daft as a kid living in Cromford in the 50’s with all the quarry and coal traffic rolling through non stop all day, a sickness I have never recovered from and I can’t remember seeing any of those chrome bits.Could they have been put on by Vauxhall just for the photo shoots,or were they an extra that most haulier’s did’nt bother with. I wonder ?. The writeup for this is as follows.
This articulated tanker is one of a fleet of similar vehicles used by the Vacuum Oil Co.Ltd.,for distributing motor spirit to garages.The 2,400-gallon stepped tank unit was built by the Steel Barrel Co.Ltd.
A few more to come when I have cleaned them up. Mike.

thelongdrag:
0Hello Chris.Yes they all seem to have London regs.I suppose thats because the Major oil companies had offices there.Here’s a Mobil one from 1952 looking very smart you’ll notice on all these pics the chrome embellisments on the front grill.I was lorry daft as a kid living in Cromford in the 50’s with all the quarry and coal traffic rolling through non stop all day, a sickness I have never recovered from and I can’t remember seeing any of those chrome bits.Could they have been put on by Vauxhall just for the photo shoots,or were they an extra that most haulier’s did’nt bother with. I wonder ?. The writeup for this is as follows.
This articulated tanker is one of a fleet of similar vehicles used by the Vacuum Oil Co.Ltd.,for distributing motor spirit to garages.The 2,400-gallon stepped tank unit was built by the Steel Barrel Co.Ltd.
A few more to come when I have cleaned them up. Mike.

Nice old picture Mike. I was lorry daft as a kid too and I don’t recall any chromework on those Bedfords either.
I wonder what the gross weight of that artic would have been in 1952,if my maths is correct 2400 imperial gallons of petrol works out at roughly 6.5 tons or 6t 10cwt in old money.Not a lot of weight.It would be heavier loaded with gas oil of course.

Never had anything to do with tankers liquid or powder,but I have enjoyed reading through this thread and the one on the Old Time lorry site.Some good pics and interesting stuff,thanks to all.I think 3 axles could run at 19ton Gross in the early fifties but will stand corrected.

The write up for this.
This Big Bedford Tractor Unit fitted with Scammell coupling gear and pulling a Scammell frameless 1,800-gallon
three compartment tank to carry three different kinds of acid.Operated by F.W.Berk & Co. Ltd. Mike.

Ulceby.

Another one from the early 50s.

Power operated delivery pumps are a feature of the Big Bedford tankers operated
by the National Benzole Co. Ltd., for local deliveries.The 1,800 gallon four-compartment tank
was built by Thompson Bros.of Bilston. It is equipped with a neat side ladder and an unobtrusive cat-walk.

Nice smart rigid. Note the different sidelights and rubbing strips below the door also the foothold below the bumper.
I like the fleet No.,if thats what it is ?. Mike.

A couple more Bedford’s prior to the operating companies livery, built by Darham’s who were part of the John Thompson group of companies

I was tipping around the corner and nearly pooped myself when it went bang :astonished:

What happened, did he forget to vent it or something?

I have seen that happen twice with Gilbraith Tankers, once the driver had the load pumped out and didn’t open a man lid to let the air in.
The other time a driver had steamed out and was going to load caustic and closed his lids with the steam in, when it condensed the barrel got sucked in just like in the photo above.

T.M.

Tankerman:
I have seen that happen twice with Gilbraith Tankers, once the driver had the load pumped out and didn’t open a man lid to let the air in.
The other time a driver had steamed out and was going to load caustic and closed his lids with the steam in, when it condensed the barrel got sucked in just like in the photo above.

T.M.

Me too,once at Scunthorpe when the driver steamed out and shut valves,lids etc. and the same somewhere darn sarf,maybe at Thomas Allens place at Stanford-le-Hope. :open_mouth:

I don’t think we’re “in safe hands” somehow :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sniffy:
A couple more Bedford’s prior to the operating companies livery, built by Darham’s who were part of the John Thompson group of companies

Bedfords you still see them around good honest lorry.Well thats my opinion.
Nice R types 56/57 I think thats when they had a major upgrade. ( new Grill Panel )
Thanks Sniffy good pics. Mike.

A drop of the white stuff,the right kind. Mike

Took this at Glasgow Airport two years ago just before i boarded the plane to go to Dubai and onto Singapore…