Help,info needed on tankers

hi all,
hope i havent nicked anyones pics of here but i need you help if possible guys? any more info/pics/brouchres on the makers of these electrical oil tanks would be gratefully appreciated. ive finally got a 1/24th scale guy big j kit and want to build as close to the real tanker as i can get, thanks for looking…pete

I think Sniffy will be your man for this.

The only thing I know about electrical oil is you do not open the lid to sample it :open_mouth:

I only carried elctrical oil in 45 gallon drums Pete, but this looks like a good opportunity to show of the ERF again :smiley: :smiley:
Regards Kev. Ps hope you have some luck with your search.

never get tired of seeing that motor mate :slight_smile:

wirralpete:
hi all,
hope i havent nicked anyones pics of here but i need you help if possible guys? any more info/pics/brouchres on the makers of these electrical oil tanks would be gratefully appreciated. ive finally got a 1/24th scale guy big j kit and want to build as close to the real tanker as i can get, thanks for looking…pete

Hi Pete where did u get the big j kit from regards alan

kevmac47:
I only carried elctrical oil in 45 gallon drums Pete, but this looks like a good opportunity to show of the ERF again :smiley: :smiley:
Regards Kev. Ps hope you have some luck with your search.0

Are those three blokes having a ■■■■, or are they just two well endowed blokes :stuck_out_tongue:

You can see the rear windows of the cab are held in with aluminium strip for Pet Regs.

hi mate,
i got it off a member of the truckmodelworldforum :slight_smile:

being cheeky guys and bumping it up!, im home tomorrow and thinking of taking a hacksaw to a tanker kit… :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

kevmac47:
Regards Kev. Ps hope you have some luck with your search.0

Are those three blokes having a ■■■■, or are they just two well endowed blokes :stuck_out_tongue:

You can see the rear windows of the cab are held in with aluminium strip for Pet Regs.

I like your dirty mind :smiley: but they were just anoraks checking the plate : :unamused: :unamused: either that or I was taking dirty pictures :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Regards Kev.

The tank in the first picture is parked outside Clayton Commercials at Burscough, so there’s a very strong possibility thats who built it.

marky:
The tank in the first picture is parked outside Clayton Commercials at Burscough, so there’s a very strong possibility thats who built it.

I seem to recall the MD there was John Quirk, I’m sure that a well written letter may well get you a set of GA drawings

wirralpete:
hi all,

Wirralpete, I think I posted them on the oil and fuels thread, 1st ones a Clayton and the 2nd ones a Thompson tank

I can ask the guys at Claytons for the drawings but anything older than about 15 years is non electronic and archived, not to bad if you have one of their CC chassis or tank numbers as a start point. should be able to find bt will take some time, can only ask

Doubt if the Thompson tank drawings are stilll about but visiting a chap tomoz who will know better than anyone if they are still available, Not sure if I’ve any more photos but will have look

Another Thompson tank

Better quality

If I see Steve Barrett on Friday, I’ll ask him about availability of the drawings for that tank.

I’m not certain, but I think John Quirk is still involved at Claytons. Again, I’ll ask Steve or Cliffy if I see them.

cheers for all the help guys much appreciated!!!

ive gone ahead and started a basic tank body as finding any more information was proving difficult
started with forward part first

then worked backwards

then added another inch at the back for the sloping rear bulkhead, now sanding down all the sheets prior to filling the gaps and adding a curved front bulkhead

Probably not much help (sorry) but I’m sure Castrol used to leave a few of these at A.S Jones (aka P&O Roadtanks) yard in Bromborough a good few years back. If you know any former employees from Jones’ it might be worth asking them if they have any pictures.

WirralPete - not sure if this will help, might give the right proportions though, waiting for Claytons to dig out any drawings but they tell me they are on the case

sniffy, your a start cheers mate!
i sent clayton an email last week and heard nothing back from them at all :slight_smile:

wirralpete:
sniffy, your a start cheers mate!
i sent clayton an email last week and heard nothing back from them at all :slight_smile:

I rang today and they are struggling, they have thosands of files, numbered with the job number so without a chassis number or date of build of an actual trailer, i doubt they will be able to find it

They are looking though !!

thanks for the help on this guys,
ive found a picture of the actual motor dad drove which was in a book called a illustrated history of road tankers.
ive cracked on a bit with the model now, managed to get the shape right after much filling and sanding and started work on the unit and chassis :smiley:

wirralpete:
thanks for the help on this guys,
ive found a picture of the actual motor dad drove which was in a book called a illustrated history of road tankers.
ive cracked on a bit with the model now, managed to get the shape right after much filling and sanding and started work on the unit and chassis :smiley:

I hope you are going to put a 240 Gardner it Pete!!!