Tanker Assesment

jakethesnake:

Nite Owl:

jakethesnake:

Conor:
Your braking and acceleration will be the thing they look at the most along with putting on the park brake when you come to a stop or keeping your foot brake on. This is because if you’re taking liquid in a tanker, especially milk where the tanks can’t be baffled, the liquid moves more when you come to a stop or accelerate harshly and when you come to a stop if you don’t either put the park brake on or keep your foot brake applied the movement of the liquid can be enough to push you forward. Also you need to let the vehicle in front of you move off a bit further than normal before you set off because if you time it wrong so you’re letting off the brake as the surging liquid reaches its forward most point of movement the moment you let off your brake you can shoot forward very quickly.

Conor sorry to intervene but your last sentence would only happen to a complete fool. For it to surge foward and hit the vehicle in front from a standstill you would almost have to have stopped inches from the vehicle in front. You come out with some whoppers from time to time. :wink:

To keep you right, when you stop behind another vehicle always leave enough room that if anything happens you can pull round the said vehicle safely.

Considering the target audience in this case has no tanker experience, I think it’s a very valid point. I have no tanker experience either, and although I am aware that the sloshing liquid will push the tanker forward, the distance it pushes me could well catch me by surprise.

As a “former driver trainer” surely you understand the importance of filling in all the potential gaps in the learners knowledge.

OMG Do you really think any assessor would take a driver who has no tanker experience out in a loaded unbaffled tanker? I can tell you theres not a chance in hell.

Any driver that did or does what Conor said should not be driving tankers and any driver putting himself in that situation would never get a job. End of.

GOODNIGHT… :unamused:

Considering that my reply was aimed at your response to Connors point, the full/empty tank on assessment is irrelevant. Driving with a full tank requires knowledge which any responsible driver (like the op) would seek from more experienced drivers. Therefore, Connors reply was perfectly justified whilst you just did your usual superior and dismissive comments.

Perhaps you could use your “decades of experience” to actually help drivers on this forum instead of lording it over us and telling us how you know everything.

A GOOD DAY TO YOU TOO. :unamused:

remy:

Drift:
I drive tankers delivering liquid animal feed and dairy products, my tank only has one baffle an you certainly notice it when you have to brake hard, so keep good distances and be ready for the dopes that cut in front of you.
Also when loaded go very slowly around sharp bends as the product climbs the inside of the tank opposite to the turn you are in and wants to drag it over, I’ve tried strapping it down but I just got wet and smelly :laughing:

Would load bars help ? put a couple on top of the liquid to hold it down :wink: :wink:

Dont be ridiculous.

It needs roping and sheeting :wink:

toonsy:

remy:

Drift:
I drive tankers delivering liquid animal feed and dairy products, my tank only has one baffle an you certainly notice it when you have to brake hard, so keep good distances and be ready for the dopes that cut in front of you.
Also when loaded go very slowly around sharp bends as the product climbs the inside of the tank opposite to the turn you are in and wants to drag it over, I’ve tried strapping it down but I just got wet and smelly :laughing:

Would load bars help ? put a couple on top of the liquid to hold it down :wink: :wink:

Dont be ridiculous.

It needs roping and sheeting :wink:

Jeez! Another amateur! Everyone knows that ropes will damage the load. The only way is to use a brick net. No damage = customer happy. :wink:

Nite Owl I was trying to help if you read my first response. I also feel I was helping by telling the op that what Conner said was ridiculous because any decent experienced tanker driver would never let a newbie get into that situation in the first place. Bad driving only would cause that situation to happen.(Fact)

Did you not read about his driver training. Another load of pish which he could not back up.

If it’s anything like my driver assessment it was a trip to Burscough solo to collect a new skeletal chassis with the fleet engineer. I had driven for the company 4 years by then [emoji12]

Who is the company that the OP refers to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting the…

Word fact at the end of a sentence makes it a fact.

yourhavingalarf:
Putting the…

For once I agree with you unless of course you think what I am saying is wrong.
If you do feel I am wrong it may be more helpful to say why?

When pulling away if no baffles try and pull away as soon as surge heading forward just take it steady and you will get used to how different loads react. Also make sure lids and hatches are closed if your not allowed ontop a good brake test outside the office will do [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

yourhavingalarf:
Putting the…

Ah, but writing “FACT” makes it even more true than a mere “fact”.
And if red or italics are used, it must be MORE than TRUE.
And that has been proven 110% correct, by someone wearing a white coat, and holding a clipboard , on a YouTube vid.

jakethesnake:
Conor sorry to intervene but your last sentence would only happen to a complete fool. For it to surge foward and hit the vehicle in front from a standstill you would almost have to have stopped inches from the vehicle in front.

I guess you’ve never driven milk tankers with a single pot.

jakethesnake:
PS I drove petrol tankers in London for many years by the way.

That’s nice, I drove milk tankers. Do you know what the difference between a petrol tanker and a milk tanker is? Yours has baffles and typically several compartments to prevent the fuel sloshing about. Milk tankers have NO baffles and are often one or two compartments so you have 20,000+ litres sloshing about with no baffles to slow it down unlike your petrol tanker.

Conor:

jakethesnake:
PS I drove petrol tankers in London for many years by the way.

That’s nice, I drove milk tankers. Do you know what the difference between a petrol tanker and a milk tanker is? Yours has baffles and typically several compartments to prevent the fuel sloshing about. Milk tankers have NO baffles and are often one or two compartments so you have 20,000+ litres sloshing about with no baffles to slow it down unlike your petrol tanker.

Of course I know the difference having driven unbaffled tankers myself although only frequently compared to petrol tankers. I still say the scenario you mentioned would only happen through bad driving.

If you drive accordingly you can minimise the sloshing and the fact that you would plough into the vehicle in front by taking your foot off the footbrake.

Oh…

I get it. The size of the word equates to it’s validity.

FACT

In red makes it even more righter.

FACT

yourhavingalarf:
Oh…

I get it. The size of the word equates to it’s validity.

FACT

In red makes it even more righter.

FACT

Yep.
Now, if you can claim a close relative is professionally qualified, and told you summat, in strict confidence, you can post this without fear of contradiction.
Well, you could be questioned by a poster with an old library card, painted gold, and fuzzily scanned, I s’pose? But this level of internet expertize is rare.

Franglais:
Now, if you can claim a close relative is professionally qualified, and told you summat, in strict confidence, you can post this without fear of contradiction

Are you…

Sure about that? I mean, anyone could type anything (regardless of it being true or not) and they would have to be believed. FACT

Only 20,000 litres Coner? A pokey little rigid I presume.Try 42000 then you have a proper load in a real wagon. :wink:

I think both Conor and Jake are missing a point. Taking your foot off the brake, without the handbrake being applied… :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused:
Liquid tankers, whenever stopped (but especially behind stopped vehicles, in front of pedestrian crossings etc), always handbrake on. Always.

For what it’s worth, I’ve driven milk tankers for 10 years, single pot with and without baffle, and twin pots. Ex-farm and reload.

yourhavingalarf:

Franglais:
Now, if you can claim a close relative is professionally qualified, and told you summat, in strict confidence, you can post this without fear of contradiction

Are you…

Sure about that? I mean, anyone could type anything (regardless of it being true or not) and they would have to be believed. FACT

Red? Capitals?
Since my brother isn’t a professor, imust defer to you, Mr Larf

jakethesnake:
Only 20,000 litres Coner? A pokey little rigid I presume.Try 42000 then you have a proper load in a real wagon. :wink:

Ah, the old “my tanker’s bigger than your tanker” argument.

Nothing can trump that.

FACT

Oh and hopefully if you get the job, remember to vent when tipping and loading…
This is not the same as trucknet members “venting” at each other :wink: