Class one milk tanker

Afternoon all.

Got work through an agency on Saturday driving a class one milk tanker into London. I’m happy with the class one and happy enough with driving in London. My questions are more about the tanker.

Never driven a tanker before, is there anything I need to know about it? Sure the company will clue me up on how to unload when I get there and I’m aware of possible movement if there is or isn’t baffles. But that’s as far as my knowledge goes. Any help would be appreciated.

One thing very important, to remember on driving tankers with a fuel tanker they are baffled inside to reduce movement , of the liquid but with a liquid food tanker (MILK ) they are not baffled so take greater care as a friend of mine found out , utube milk tanker and you can see why , just allow a greater stoping or turning period ,

Slow and Steady
take it easy mate - don’t go tearing about - liquid food tanks are not that forgiving - part loaded tanks even less so .
Every company has different rules and procedures so ask , but never open lids or break seals unless you have been told to .
Its usually the drivers job to make sure the tank is vented (again ask before you vent ).
Check you tank and paperwork match ( trust me on this )
Make sure the tank is washed every 24 hours (maximum) or when changing products and the wash book is there and filled in .
Make sure the pipes are disconnected and valves closed before you pull out - you wouldn’t beleive how often this can happen and the price of the damage !!
Anything else just ask - I’ve been pulling milk tanks (amongst many other things) for 20 years

Just do everything smooth, braking, acceleration and steering, if you do it all smooth you’ll barely notice the load tbh. Another thing is leave decent gaps between you and the motors in front. If for any reason you do have to brake suddenly you’ll feel the liquid sloshing about in the trailer but trust me you will still stop!!

Enjoy!!

beefy4605:
Slow and Steady
take it easy mate - don’t go tearing about - liquid food tanks are not that forgiving - part loaded tanks even less so .
Every company has different rules and procedures so ask , but never open lids or break seals unless you have been told to .
Its usually the drivers job to make sure the tank is vented (again ask before you vent ).
Make sure the tank is washed every 24 hours (maximum) or when changing products and the wash book is there and filled in .
Make sure the pipes are disconnected and valves closed before you pull out - you wouldn’t beleive how often this can happen and the price of the damage !!
Anything else just ask - I’ve been pulling milk tanks (amongst many other things) for 20 years

Cheers beefy that’s exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, would never in a million years thought about wash books, and wouldn’t have known to even ask about venting.

Haven’t had class one long and only drive as an odd job on weekends or leave from my current job so everytime the agencies give me class one I’m pretty slow and careful anyway but I’ll throw a bit extra at this one.

Cheers everyone for all your advice, much appreciated

Hinton:

beefy4605:
Slow and Steady

Cheers beefy that’s exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, would never in a million years thought about wash books, and wouldn’t have known to even ask about venting.

Haven’t had class one long and only drive as an odd job on weekends or leave from my current job so everytime the agencies give me class one I’m pretty slow and careful anyway but I’ll throw a bit extra at this one.

Cheers everyone for all your advice, much appreciated

No problem - you’ll find that all you have to do is ask . i was sent to Wisemans in Manchester last year to collect cream . Found the place easily enough but due to delays between leaving N. Ireland and actually getting to load cream it was more than 24 hours since the tank had been washed . Some of Nivens drivers were in at the time and after asking the question they helped me set up the wash for the tank. Milk haulage seems to still have that about it - where drivers will still help each other and not just stand and look at you waiting for you to mess up and then laugh at you or video it and put it on facebook or youtube .
six months time you’ll be wondering what the fuss was all about :wink:

Everything that beefy4605 said plus don’t be afraid to ask if your not sure about anything, the drivers on Milk tend to be a helpful bunch. Do you know which dairy your going to IAustralia be able to give you some specifics on their procedures.

Make sure you check your load carefully and that nothing gets past your eyesd.

Bloomin auto correct! Don’t know how it got australia from maybe though lol.

When you are loading you need to know how much to put in. If you fill it up to the top you will be overweight.
When you tip you need to vent the tank to prevent collapse under atmospheric pressure.
After you tip, you will need to " clean in place" (CIP)
You will need spanners and adapters
Record the CIP in the book