Stupid tank size

For the past week I have been driving a nice little DAF, the only problem with it is that the company has specced a single 85l tank on it.
Fuel keeps getting nicked out of the trucks over the weekend etc, so they are understandably cautious but seriously?

With a full load of glass on a 26t rigid, doing local deliveries, I’m having to fill up twice a day.

Anyone else lumbered with stupidly small tanks?

Scarab:
For the past week I have been driving a nice little DAF, the only problem with it is that the company has specced a single 85l tank on it.
Fuel keeps getting nicked out of the trucks over the weekend etc, so they are understandably cautious but seriously?

With a full load of glass on a 26t rigid, doing local deliveries, I’m having to fill up twice a day.

do you get paid by the hour :question:

Asda lorries are the same, stupidly small tanks but you do only have to fill them once at the end of the shift.

Not got a anti siphon device fitted :question:

I know a few lad got them fitted ones like a net other like a tube with like oval cuts in it
They both said worth the money

Kuhene and Nagel are the same with their tanks Alex.

It’s all to do with weight saving apparently. They even spec the trucks without things like air con, exterior sunvisors, electric interior sunvisors. (I kid you not.) It makes their Stralis’s even more crap than a standard one is.

Ken.

Quinny:

It’s all to do with weight saving apparently. They even spec the trucks without things like air con, exterior sunvisors, electric interior sunvisors. (I kid you not.) It makes their Stralis’s even more crap than a standard one is.

Ken.

Something tells me its got nothing to do with weight saving. Money saving more like!

Oh and PS. Stralis’s are not crap. :laughing:

damoq:
Something tells me its got nothing to do with weight saving. Money saving more like.

Thats probably more to the point I think. Penny pinching at its worst. Over the course of a 3 or 5 year lease the cost between specing a truck with or without aircon or a fridge must be negligable in the monthly payments.

Quinny:

Ken.

i think you would find that if want all the above you would have to spec them with them rather than without them :smiley:

Scarab:

DHL got a new Iveco 7.5t and it was bought to do the Exeter trunk, the bloody thing only had enough fuel to get to Exeter from Derby, then we had to fanny about borrowing a fuel card from the other depot for the return trip

Scarab:

Thinking about it, speccing a small tank is a bit silly. If its a theft prevention idea, why didn’t they just get decent size tanks but insist that you don’t fuel up at the end of your shift/week. That way you can put enough fuel in the tank at the beginning of your shift to last you the rest of the day and not have to stop twice.

Scarab:

Not me - I carry 1200 litres LOL

A plant in Basildon have got an 8 leg DAF with a huge crane (85t/m or similar) on it for lifting cabins, bloody thing must weigh about 25t. It has got a fuel tank that holds about 200l and there is a massive empty space on the chassis rail beside it. On the other side it has got the biggest hydraulic tank you could imagine.

Oh and it’s a drawbar spec so sometimes pulls a trailer too. He’s a frequent visitor to the pumps.

Scarab:

We put our own 150 litre tanks on our vans, chuck the standard 100 litre ones away. Thems 6.5 ton Iveco Dailys.

85 litres in a 7.5 tonner is a bit pish

I can remember the time a company i worked for would have to hire trucks once I had the pleasure of one of those DAF 7.5tonners curtain sided single sleeper low cab, had to go to Italy then the south of France for a return load, that had a small tank around 100lts iirc, i must of refueled it around 25-30 times on that trip,the weather conditions didn’t help (very windy) and the POS being gutless ,hence having to keep dropping down a cog or two every time a gust of wind caught it or if perish the thought it encountered a slight incline

you want to try UK tramping with a 450 litre tank and a AS24 fuel card its good fun I can tell you

Legend_Scania:

I know a few lad got them fitted ones like a net other like a tube with like oval cuts in it

We have got them fitted as you say a good job, but what the ■■■■■■ do now is pull the pick up and return pipes out of the top of the tank, stick there pipe in the hole and milk you dry.

Legend_Scania:

If somebody wants to get in your tank that badly, then they will!

green456:

Scarab:

do you get paid by the hour :question:

I don’t really think that’s fair to say, hourly paid or not it would annoy the hell out of me multi dropping and halfway through a shift having to go and fill up again.

altitude:

Legend_Scania:

We have got them fitted as you say a good job, but what the [zb] do now is pull the pick up and return pipes out of the top of the tank, stick there pipe in the hole and milk you dry.

your lucky they just pierced the ally tanks on ours from underneath usually and let what they can,t take run all over the yard :unamused:

d4c24a:

altitude:

Legend_Scania:

We have got them fitted as you say a good job, but what the [zb] do now is pull the pick up and return pipes out of the top of the tank, stick there pipe in the hole and milk you dry.

your lucky they just pierced the ally tanks on ours from underneath usually and let what they can,t take run all over the yard :unamused:

We have had that as well mate, they use a jack with a spike :imp: