Suffolk hauliers

norfolktrucker:
Some more

That bloke in the NT Wright’s Dodge worked there for a very long time, in fact I think, right till they finished. Maybe he was part of the family. Cheers Haddy.

dazteahan:
Looks like one of the roads off Westwood Avenue if i am not mistaken Cubester?

regards Daz

That’s right Daz. I think it was Pinewood avenue.

My dad used to work out of ipswich and felixstoe when he was an owner driver in the late 80’s upto mid 90’s
with his iveco
[album]4052[/album]

in about 96/97 he joined charles read at james kemball one of their first small handful of drivers in their early years

Those wind deflectors lood hideous, spoil otherwise good trucks.

Jenson:

robthedog:
Those wind deflectors lood hideous, spoil otherwise good trucks.

Jenson:

I thought exactly the same thing mate.

the cowans volvo,was one of my dads old motors with cowan,it eventually got another axle fitted to it,great motor happy memories

Hi all first time I have written on this site since joining , just like to say what great memories are flooding back for me looking at the pics from old Suffolk hauliers , I used to live in Ipswich between 1977 and 1985 , had a house on Felixstowe road just before traffic lights that turned into queens way . Dad used to have his own blue and White scania 141 , then made a mistake a bought a new 112 intercooler!! He parked it in front of house and people would take photos wondering how he got it in such a tight place , it even made the local paper( Ipswich star??) think it helped cause it was a tag axle. Before this he worked for a bloke called Collin rug land and drive an f88 , black and silver with 1 michelin man on each wing mirror ( funny what things you remember when you are 8yrs old!) he left after a while and worked for coggins driving a berliet then moved on to jock cowan , think he only had 5or6 trucks then and was based down the drift , dad had an f89 , there was 2 ,a fella called Leon used to have the other one( Leon had his name on the front of his truck) . The work was doing containers farrel lines?? Delivering to the yank bases all over the country , I remember when the 1st f10 (240bhp) turned up in the yard on a sat morn , it’s reg was ong. W ,can’t remember the numbers , I was always there on saturdays not only to help dad wash down but I used to clean the dog kennel out ! What a job but used to get a fiver for , a lot of money in 1981! Dad then moved on to do a bit of shunting for oocl driving an lb81 day cab scania , then went to russel Davies as a shunter driving a leylanb buffalo ( they had 4 or 6 if I remember) sometimes he used to get a local run out in a 111 in evergreen colours , His last job before going on his own was driving for good way transport ( think it was started by Glen miller , Harvey mcantyre and someone else ) they purchased 4 111 scanias which were in contship shipping line colours ( they kept the colours ) think dad had 6 months there then left to start up on his own . I used to go with dad all the time on the dock , use the canteens etc ( before all the health and saftey come in!) gave me the best job training ! Back to now , I run 3 of my own trucks based at Ely and work out of Felixstowe , going over Orwell bridge every day brings back memories of watching it being built and biking up and down it on my chopper bike tying not to get caught by the workman…but I’ve carried on to much for now , if any body can remember my dad or the firms and have any more photos please reply , thanks siimon

norfolktrucker:
Nurse Haulage from Halesworth. 21

I bought that E837PPW from Norfolk Trucks what a great truck

Hi erfmad. Just read your article I can remember you dads truck r cab 6x2 in white with black stripes on the cab a something Gbj ,I have picture in my collection so will try and find it .was his first name Clive .?i worked at scantruck at the time in the service dept.seem to recall he moved up to Ely way.regards David scarfff

A huge thank you to the East Coast Truckers who made Jake Snowlings day.
For about 6 weeks in the seventies, I was a mechanic for a bloke called Les Edwards (not the fridged freight one from Thetford) who had a unit on the old Boby Estate in Bury St. Eds. He ran two Scania 110’s and was closely associated with a haulier called Derek (Geordie) Norman who had a F86 six wheeler flat that ended up in Wadebridge instead of Weybridge one trip. He also had a Guy Big J that I bodged up at Les’s behest with a ■■■■■■■■ 208 instead of the 220 that was knackered. I went back into engineering after that and didn’t touch road transport again although I did build some recovery lorries in the early nineties. I’d be interested to know if anybody has a kind word for messers Edwards and Norman - they were no harm to me - so I would hope their circumstances improved. Les used to escape out the back door whenever a guy from an insurance company drew up - something to do with a very nasty accident on the A14. What was that all about? Just curious. Jim Oh! the driver of the scania was called Mike Duhig.Are you still out there feller?

1 of 2 brand new Daf 95XFs (and my motor) for K.J Gower of Bury St Edmunds, his motors used to park in Bryan Nunn’s yard. We used to run down to Greece and reload Italy.

PictureGower2.jpg

kindle530:
1 of 2 brand new Daf 95XFs (and my motor) for K.J Gower of Bury St Edmunds, his motors used to park in Bryan Nunn’s yard. We used to run down to Greece and reload Italy.

Clean as ever Mr K, well, most of the pictures, in one of them a little TLC was needed!

The sun might always shine on T.V,(a-ha!!) but it doesnt always shine between Bury St Eds and Athens!
It would’ve gotten a bath at the Silka garage just before you get into Patras, then the tanks gotten polished in Alpi at Prato at the re-load, so it wasnt dirty for long!

I knew it wouldn’t have been mate!

does any body know of barry curruthers of Ipswich
drove for taylor barnards late 70s to early 80 s also drove for damar haulage in early 80s
please let me know

Davidscarff:
Hi erfmad. Just read your article I can remember you dads truck r cab 6x2 in white with black stripes on the cab a something Gbj ,I have picture in my collection so will try and find it .was his first name Clive .?i worked at scantruck at the time in the service dept.seem to recall he moved up to Ely way.regards David scarfff

Hi David , glad you remember my dad , he used to have a 141 before that , can you remember that ? Yes we moved up to march in Cambridgeshire in 1985 , you must have a good memory to remember that long ago , what you up to now ?

Hi erf mad can’t recall the 141 but a nudge with the reg number may help 'as for me been selling dafs at chassis cab in Ipswich for 20 years now - once I find the photo of you dads112 I will up load it on here. I think there are plenty of the suffolk hauliers long gone missing on here what about
Hako ferry services
Transit services Ipswich
Ravenfleet
David betts
Anyone got any info photos etc?

Davidscarff:
Hi erf mad can’t recall the 141 but a nudge with the reg number may help 'as for me been selling dafs at chassis cab in Ipswich for 20 years now - once I find the photo of you dads112 I will up load it on here. I think there are plenty of the suffolk hauliers long gone missing on here what about
Hako ferry services
Transit services Ipswich
Ravenfleet
David betts
Anyone got any info photos etc?

id like to see a Ravenfleet pic, or their next door neighbour Special Freight Services, as my dad worked at the latter in an F 86 then went to Ravenfleet and got a Transcon!

Ravenfleet were part of connels building supplies monk soham, I think the guy on the ground is Godber from porridge

brilliant picture, i will show my dad this! thanks a lot Jenson