Suez Canal blocked

Carryfast:
A few puny tugs.
When they could line up all the waiting container ships with lines between them and then attach a line or 6 from the front one to the rear of the stuck one and then all go full astern with how many combined horsepower.
Bonus points for doing the opposite at the front.
It might pull the back and/or front end off the ship though turning a drama into a crisis. :laughing:

This looks right up your street. I know you’re a huge advocate for green energy youtu.be/rNNLfNRFw_o

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
A few puny tugs.
When they could line up all the waiting container ships with lines between them and then attach a line or 6 from the front one to the rear of the stuck one and then all go full astern with how many combined horsepower.
It might pull the back and/or front end off the ship though turning a drama into a crisis. :laughing:

This looks right up your street. I know you’re a huge advocate for green energy youtu.be/rNNLfNRFw_o

It’s supposedly 1 tonne bollard pull per 100 hp.
A large containership engine produces around 100,000 hp maybe another 40,000 from its auxiliaries.
Let’s say 120,000 hp could be applied just by the boat sitting behind it running full astern.So a bollard pull of over 1,000 tonnes v 70. :smiley:

I’m an advocate for there’s no substitute for cubic inches as in internal combustion.Who needs any tug in this case but we will need some good tow ropes. :wink:

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
A few puny tugs.

A large containership engine produces around 100,000 hp maybe another 40,000 from its auxiliaries.
Let’s say 120,000 hp could be applied just by the boat sitting behind it running full astern.So a bollard pull of over 1,000 tonnes v 70. :smiley:

I’m an advocate for there’s no substitute for cubic inches as in internal combustion.Who needs any tug in this case but we will need some good tow ropes. :wink:

I’ve no doubt you offered your services to the shipping industry as soon and you found out. ■■■■ lockdown, if it were for that you’d probably be in Egypt overseeing operations. Being cheated by the elite once again.

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
A few puny tugs.

I’ve no doubt you offered your services to the shipping industry as soon and you found out. ■■■■ lockdown, if it were for that you’d probably be in Egypt overseeing operations. Being cheated by the elite once again.

Obviously if I was driving the ship behind I’d have just shouted grab this line and a few more tie em to the stern and then we’ll pull it straight.
Having carried out a quick risk assessment regards pulling the stern off it or the snapped lines whipping through the air at the speed of sound.Shouting power in true Clarkson style as I went full astern. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Put a tow line on the deck or mooring points, pull hard and you won’t budge the grounded keel. You will pull the top of the vessel over and might capsize it though.
Tugs pushing the reinforced strong points on the hull will be more effective than tow lines at deck level or at mooring points high above the water line.

You know when I first heard of this I thought “hmm bit of a pickle is that” then soon afterwards I started hearing from all these maritime experts and so on that itvwas really quite an issue of an unprecedented scale due to the size of the vessel, location, load etc etc - think one said this is the largest incident of its type ever.

They should’ve just got Carryfast in first thing. Sorted. Job done. Get it clear in 10 minutes :unamused:

Wonder if the other captains offered to help or just got their camera phones out to get some footage instead?

And a link to tides on the Suez Canal
researchgate.net/publicatio … ra%20(47cm.

toonsy:
You know when I first heard of this I thought “hmm bit of a pickle is that” then soon afterwards I started hearing from all these maritime experts and so on that itvwas really quite an issue of an unprecedented scale due to the size of the vessel, location, load etc etc - think one said this is the largest incident of its type ever.

They should’ve just got Carryfast in first thing. Sorted. Job done. Get it clear in 10 minutes :unamused:

Wonder if the other captains offered to help or just got their camera phones out to get some footage instead?

I guess you’re correct regards the scale of the incident.
Think sending a fire-engine with a few ladders to a tower block fire.

You can’t park there sir.

Was it a promotion for Sub Lieutenant Leslie Phillips?.
“Left hand down a bit”
Youngsters get busy on Google

Franglais:

I’m in no way an expert on these things but I’ve always thought the med is not tidal (or very little tide), so I would like to know how the Suez works with no locks.

GORDON 50:

Franglais:

I’m in no way an expert on these things but I’ve always thought the med is not tidal (or very little tide), so I would like to know how the Suez works with no locks.

Google is my (your) friend :laughing:

“No Locks. The Suez Canal has no locks because the Mediterranean Sea and the Red Sea’s Gulf of Suez have approximately the same water level. It takes around 11 to 16 hours to pass through the canal and ships must travel at low speed to prevent erosion of the canal’s banks by the ships’ waves.”

I suppose given the original reason for this thread it should also say " 3 point turns are not allowed, and not possible" :laughing:

I’m quite surprised that the vessel owners didn’t simply charter a Lear jet to fly into Leatherhead International Airport and scoop up the worlds foremost expert on, well, everything really. As long as it didn’t involve lifting anything weightier than his passport he’d have had that bad boy floating freely within hours. Instead they’re going to be relying on maritime salvage experts who’s ■■■■■■■■■■ thousands of years of experience will count as nought when compared to that of our resident expert. :wink:

the maoster:
I’m quite surprised that the vessel owners didn’t simply charter a Lear jet to fly into Leatherhead International Airport and scoop up the worlds foremost expert on, well, everything really. As long as it didn’t involve lifting anything weightier than his passport he’d have had that bad boy floating freely within hours. Instead they’re going to be relying on maritime salvage experts who’s ■■■■■■■■■■ thousands of years of experience will count as nought when compared to that of our resident expert. :wink:

Picture the scene the last 60 something Brit deck hand on the following ship shouts to his Philippino and Indian colleagues in a cockney accent why don’t we get a line or 6 over to the zb and pull it straight.With the win win that we can split our discounted salvage rate. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

> manski:
> I suppose given the original reason for this thread it should also say " 3 point turns are not allowed, and not possible" :laughing:

I actualy witnessed a ship turn round in the canal in 1965, I was a cadet on the bridge and steering the ship during a night time southbound passage, ships carried massive Suez Canal search lights at the bow (or hired them) for night transits, we ran into thick fog and reduced speed to just enough for steerage way.

After a while, we saw what we thought at first was the stern light of the ship ahead of us, but it got brighter and brighter until we realised it was the searchlight on the bows of a ship approaching us. Back then we didn’t have VHF radios on the bridge, all communication within line of sight was carried out by signal lamps and morse code, so it was one hell of a surprise to see a ship coming towards us as the convoy system meant traffic was not bi-directional.

It turned out that the ship ahead had somehow got into difficulties and had somehow turned around in the canal - so depending on the size of ship it can happen, even if a bit hair raising!!!

Franglais:
Put a tow line on the deck or mooring points, pull hard and you won’t budge the grounded keel. You will pull the top of the vessel over and might capsize it though.
Tugs pushing the reinforced strong points on the hull will be more effective than tow lines at deck level or at mooring points high above the water line.

Assuming she’s grounded and not going to budge by putting enough force into it to capzise it then it certainly aint going to budge with a few puny tugs shoving it.
Also not sure if a straight pull from opposite sides front and rear being stuck only at those points/point would actually translate as a lateral pull the length of the ship and even if it did surely they’d cancel each other out and would just reverse the turning force that swung her across the canal and at worse only grounded at either or both ends.

It’s not much of a ‘canal’ if it has less than the draught of the vessels using it at any point.If it was only a narrow channel between shallow banks then surely it would need to be marked and it wouldn’t leave much room for error either side.

It’s better than the end scene of the Italian job. :laughing:

toonsy:

Agency captains. :laughing:

Following on from the Canal searchlight comment, I have found a source of 2nd hand Suez Searchlights at only £780

Would be superb on a Scania V8 to replace all those silly little roof bar lights with a single Man Size one hooked up to an inverter, then you could blind everyone for miles around.

https://www.trinitymarine.co.uk/shop/suez-canal-search-lights/

whisperingsmith:
Following on from the Canal searchlight comment, I have found a source of 2nd hand Suez Searchlights at only £780

Would be superb on a Scania V8 to replace all those silly little roof bar lights with a single Man Size one hooked up to an inverter, then you could blind everyone for miles around.

https://www.trinitymarine.co.uk/shop/suez-canal-search-lights/

Class.
Re-purposing those lighthouse lamps!

It was a sudden gust of wind said the Huffing & Puffing Town Post.

Insure.JPG