Sub-contracting

I recently made an initial enquiry to Maritime for terms conditions on their sub contracting. Had the response now with all the details. It is the first time I’ve looked at a subbie contract so all new to me in that respect. Basic £1.35 per mile up to £1.37 with the surcharge and guarantee 1350 miles a week. Wondering how this may compare with any other subbie deals out there. Can anyone for that matter recommend any other companies, especially Oxfordshire, Wiltshire areas that a OP can apply to. Cheers.

Was £1.40 two months ago.

kitozz1:
I recently made an initial enquiry to Maritime for terms conditions on their sub contracting. Had the response now with all the details. It is the first time I’ve looked at a subbie contract so all new to me in that respect. Basic £1.35 per mile up to £1.37 with the surcharge and guarantee 1350 miles a week. Wondering how this may compare with any other subbie deals out there. Can anyone for that matter recommend any other companies, especially Oxfordshire, Wiltshire areas that a OP can apply to. Cheers.

on 1350 miles you would earn £1850 in a week spending around £900 on diesel plus truck plus insurance plus maintanence at around £650 leaving you around £300 for wages so does that look good?

No, £300 a week doesn’t look good at all. Im sure there must be other companies out there that would have a better rate. Do the majority work on a price paid per mile?

at £1.10 (PUMP PRICE) your fuel bill would be closer to £800 @ 8MPG.

Then you claim your VAT back. Our truck insurance works out about £100 per truck per week …

So thats £900 spent
RPC 6x2 is £700 a year tax so say another £20… (simple sums)
Thats £920 gone … take out some for wear and tear as well as MOT and you dont do too bad out of it …

Your then down to £930 and then you need to buy the truck, hire or buy a trailer, have an operating centre, maintain the thing, and save a few quid for a replacement when it’s worn out!
pulling boxes looks like a total waste of time to me!

Boxes are no good as the loading/unloading/deadtime is high.

Distribution is the way to go.

I looked at Maritime as a back-up, but I just couldn’t get the figures to add up. If I spend £900 on diesel in a week, I’d expect to gross about £2,300 and there’s not exactly a fortune in that.

Not seen you for a while Harry-have u gone awol on the boat again or are you hard back at it?

Mattwoodtransport:
Not seen you for a while Harry-have u gone awol on the boat again or are you hard back at it?

Saw him on the M25 topside late this morning

Still working the truck at the moment, not sure what to do in the longer term, I might go and live on the boat and just do a bit of agency work as and when as there’s plenty of work in that part of the world.

Harry Monk:
Still working the truck at the moment, not sure what to do in the longer term, I might go and live on the boat and just do a bit of agency work as and when as there’s plenty of work in that part of the world.

Isn’t the boat moored around the Rugby area Harry??
Must be fairly easy to gross £1k/week about that manor on agency, no??
Not many O/D doing that as wage draw!!!

Big Truck:
Isn’t the boat moored around the Rugby area Harry??
Must be fairly easy to gross £1k/week about that manor on agency, no??
Not many O/D doing that as wage draw!!!

Yes, it’s moored at Stretton-under-Fosse, about halfway between Rugby and Nuneaton, and there is plenty of work going, it seems you can’t drive more than five minutes in the car without seeing an “HGV Drivers Wanted” sign. So I could just work from there and go home every two or three weeks to pick up the mail and do the washing etc. I do like running my own truck though, so I’ll carry on doing that until something drastic goes wrong with it and re-think things then.

If I do carry on as an OD after that, I’ll rent a truck on spot-hire rather than buying another one because I don’t really want to commit to another three years of finance.

Fools Paradise. :frowning: :unamused:

I was on maritime for two weeks and lost about £1000 - You need at least £1.60 per mile these days.

got offered some cracking fridge work rochdale to enfield 20t frozen £320 lmao still makes me laugh 3 days later

burnley-si:
got offered some cracking fridge work rochdale to enfield 20t frozen £320 lmao still makes me laugh 3 days later

The problem is Si that I absolutely guarantee that that load is not still sat there now, some muppet will have done it.

burnley-si:

I did Enfield to Exeter this week for £390 which is almost exactly the same distance as Rochdale to Enfield, quick load and tip and a light load, and I’m not exactly on lottery winner rates. Quite how you could make it pay at £320 when you have to run a fridge out of it is beyond me.

is anyone know who is looking for weekends subies ? thank you.

oh its that simple please tell lol

saxtonhaulage-andre:
at £1.10 (PUMP PRICE) your fuel bill would be closer to £800 @ 8MPG.

Then you claim your VAT back. Our truck insurance works out about £100 per truck per week …

So thats £900 spent
RPC 6x2 is £700 a year tax so say another £20… (simple sums)
Thats £920 gone … take out some for wear and tear as well as MOT and you dont do too bad out of it …