Struggling to find work

LR98:

TiredAndEmotional:
Sainsbury at Charlton is a Wincanton run contract and they use class 2 drivers and will consider newbies. That would be a reasonable start for anybody.

Should I visit the distribution centre in Charlton and ask them directly? Or do I have to apply through other means?

There’s a national access platforms company in thurrock.Oliver road.Looking for class 2 & 1 drivers.Sign up outside.Might be worth a call

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

daftvader:

LR98:

TiredAndEmotional:
Sainsbury at Charlton is a Wincanton run contract and they use class 2 drivers and will consider newbies. That would be a reasonable start for anybody.

Should I visit the distribution centre in Charlton and ask them directly? Or do I have to apply through other means?

There’s a national access platforms company in thurrock.Oliver road.Looking for class 2 & 1 drivers.Sign up outside.Might be worth a call

Will definitely add that to my list of employers to visit. Thanks for the tip.

+1 on giving tuffnells a miss

I worked for them on the wagon and drag. They expect you to do 40+ drops a day, yes you are salaried (450 ish per week, but 80 of that is attendance bonus which you lose AS WELL as a days pay if you have a day off) they expect overtime ever day also. Most of what they do is ridiculously heavy sht.

daftvader:

And they’re always advertising and their money is crap!

LR98:

TiredAndEmotional:

Try Wincantons website. They will of course use agency too which might be a quicker way in but don’t know who they use.

jbaz73:
+1 on giving tuffnells a miss

I worked for them on the wagon and drag. They expect you to do 40+ drops a day, yes you are salaried (450 ish per week, but 80 of that is attendance bonus which you lose AS WELL as a days pay if you have a day off) they expect overtime ever day also. Most of what they do is ridiculously heavy sht.

I work for Tuffnells currently. Passed my classed 1 less then a year ago so still relatively new. I take home about 450 a week not great but it’s also not too bad.
I probably average about 45/50 hours a week. Some days I start and 9 and finish at 5 though.
Most drops I have ever done in one day is around 15. I probably average around 4-8 though. Yes some of the stuff is heavy crap but I’ve never had an issue with any of it; apart from one delivery which I refused to do and will refuse to do again.
I’m not trying sugarcoat the place I will probably look for a better job once I get my 1 years experience but I am pretty content with where I am now.

In my opinion its not a bad place to get the experience. Yes, there are better places but there are also worse places and if you have class 2 there is a good chance they will pay for your class 1 due to many of their collections require pulling a drag.
For experience alone I have had experience on ARTICS, DRAGS, PRIME MOVERS, SHUNTERS and a little drag tug. You would be hard pressed to find a company that can give you experience in all of that.

TiredAndEmotional:

daftvader:

Fair enough.I would’nt know.Just see the add.And thought i’d let the op know.Its a start if nothing else.And maybe a bit more interesting than your supermarket,food or parcels gig.

I had the same problem but it is easy to overcome…

Contact your local council and ask them what agency supplies drivers to them and you are hired.
That is how I did it. Drove a dustcart for around 1 year and then I had no problem finding job.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions everyone I will definitely be going around looking for work this Monday! If there is any more advice feel free to let me know!

Look up jbs haulage on the eurolink Sittingbourne, they took on a new pass recently, and have a spare lorry in the yard !!!.

Had no luck with DX Swanley, according to security it’s not open to public. Tried Wincanton and TRG logistics, they have yet to get back to me (I doubt they will) I managed to phone Ketra Logistics (company based in thameside) who seemed happy to take new drivers on. However I can’t get through to the guy I need to speak to to arrange an interview so I doubt they will get back to me.

daftvader:

TiredAndEmotional:

daftvader:

Fair enough.I would’nt know.Just see the add.And thought i’d let the op know.Its a start if nothing else.And maybe a bit more interesting than your supermarket,food or parcels gig.

If its the same one I work for the money ain’t too bad, I average £2,400 a month take home doing 50-55 hours a week.
They put you through IPAF to whatever standard the job requires. Lots of early starts though.