Strapping loads?

Does anyone have any resources re strapping loads? I regularly drive an 18t rigid vehicle and rarely strap anything. I’ve found some stuff online but mainly seems to be for curtain siders. Is there any difference?

What are you carrying in the solid sided rigids ? - cages?

ROG:

Sorry - it’s shrink wrapped palletised fizzy drinks. Heavy stuff!

Personally I would always strap, just from personal experience.

Had toppled loads down through the years & like to learn the hard way.

If by chance you hit a camber & your shrink wrapped load of drink bottles tips- how difficult & time consuming is it going to be to sort it.

Just me but I always go with caution. Made too many mistakes in past.

simonp:

ROG:

Restraining bar or perhaps two if different height levels are available - with netting between the bars if available

ROG:

simonp:

ROG:

Restraining bar or perhaps two if different height levels are available - with netting between the bars if available

hmmm sadly I have none of that. Just the central (waist height) line of clips on either side and 3 or 4 ratchet straps. So you’d recommend one strap around the whole load? Annoyingly there’s frequently different heights of palets which again doesn’t help!

Trouble with those bars down the side is they aren’t designed for straps, and using straps will likely rip them off the wall at the first chance.

If you have to use them then i would if possible put the hooks slightly down the sides of the load (maybe 1 - 2 holes on the metal grid) rather than just straight across as it can help give it strength. Depends if the load fits sides of the truck of course.

More ideal is if they loaded it and out straps every maybe 4 pallets to give it more strength then not relying on just one strap to hold everything. But suspect they wont bother if not giving you proper bars.

Really it needs restraining bars and it needs potentially a few down the load esp if there’s some big pallets which need holding up. Whether they’ll do that is anyones guess. I’ve known very legit companies not bother but it wouldn’t be good if it hit the backdoors.

Seems some companies just think its hard sided so doesn’t need any restraint.

That’s great thanks! I’ve started using a few straps and do go back a few clips like you say. Fingers crossed!

simonp:
Fingers crossed!

Or fingers squashed if you are not careful.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk