Securing loads

Hi im quite new to driving truck im currently driving a artic daf xf im just trying to get info on how and what loads need to and dont need to be secured i work for a small company and all our trailer are old and dont have the internal straps like the new ones so im just trying to get a bit more info and tips/advice as i do general curtain sided haulage and im keen to learn so i dont get in any sticky positions if i get pulled or if anything ever happend. Thanks yatsay

Toilet rolls, crisps and the like I wouldn’t bother but owt else that could move or come out the side then strap it, 1/2 hr strapping is better than 1 hr with vosa in a laybye IMO.

Simple rule.

If you wouldn’t take it on a flat without securing then don’t move.

Anything double stacked, heavy, should be strapped, obviously with light stuff you can get away with not strapping, but I think the rule is, and I will probably be corrected, unless you have load bearing curtains then you should strap every pallet, and even with load bearing you should strap the back pallets.

I’m assuming when you say “toilet rolls” you mean a pack or two…? reality is, a full 1.8mtr stack of them is heavy and needs strapping…

Ministry opinion is everything requires strapping… recall reading a while ago about a driver being fined for an insecure load… all fine and dandy until the small print. it was the drivers dog in the cab!!!

similarly with aggregates/turf/peat etc… drivers only ever putting single span set across the rear and being fined for insecure loads for both lack of straps, and the strap that was on was insufficient for the load it was restraining.

it’s OK to sit and say “that load will never move”… everyone will claim to be the best driver on here, but no one can control the numpty in front slamming the brakes on and then watching as your entire load shifts… explain that at Harrods loading bay when carrying 12 pallets of Doulton Crystal… but it’s not my fault, it wasn’t heavy enough to strap.

Anything taller than you needs strapping, anything over 200KG needs strapping, anything that rolls needs strapping. If you’re getting loaded then you can normally see what needs strapping and what doesn’t. If the forkie brings out of a pallet thats wobbling like jelly then you need to secure that otherwise it will go over. Oh and just because something is strapped doesn’t always means its secure. I had a pallet of malt bags, 50 or so 25KG bags go over. Trust me, its not fun restacking pallets.

nick2008:
Simple rule.

That covers it nicely.

anything over 400kg you cant use internal roof straps have to use ratchet straps over every pallet two if pallet more than a tonne !

Radar19:
Anything taller than you needs strapping, anything over 200KG needs strapping, anything that rolls needs strapping. If you’re getting loaded then you can normally see what needs strapping and what doesn’t. If the forkie brings out of a pallet thats wobbling like jelly then you need to secure that otherwise it will go over. Oh and just because something is strapped doesn’t always means its secure. I had a pallet of malt bags, 50 or so 25KG bags go over. Trust me, its not fun restacking pallets.

Height has nothing to do with it, its all about weight.

I used to carry bog rolls from Throckmorton Aerodrome. They were usually 2 metres high, but they were loaded jammed up tight from the headboard back. We used to use the overhead straps to stop the back ones falling over, but no need for any more straps - the load was as solid as you like.

Now, if you only had a couple of pallets on - they needed a pallet on top so that we could strap them down without damage.

For the old trailers without straps, use ratchet straps , & if on trailer changes take a set of ratchet straps with you for the next trailer incase its load has not been strapped down.

peterm:

nick2008:
Simple rule.

That covers it nicely.

I agree. It’s got nothing to do with height or weight. Curtains only help to keep it on the trailer not securing to the trailer.

si-d:
. recall reading a while ago about a driver being fined for an insecure load… all fine and dandy until the small print. it was the drivers dog in the cab!!!

Mint :grimacing: driver rdc bull shine pish at its very best :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for the info i was unloading yesterday at asda rdc wigan i had 17 pallets of baby food and i didnt strap it down but after looking at how everyone else had theres strapped i will now be strapping everything from now on im currently sat near leigh waiting to be loaded up with turf to go back to bristol thanks yatsay

Simple answer,if your in doubt SECURE IT with what ever your happy with,straps/chains /rope corner boards, for your own peace of mind no good driving down the road worrying if you have done the right thing,after all its your responsibility if anything happens on the road.

Also ain’t VOSA/DSVA relaxed the rules a bit as in if your trailer has load bearing curtains that conform to EU standards then as long as the load is loaded right upto the head board and the pallets are loaded so they are flush to each other and no gaps and they go right upto the back door of the trailer then just 2 straps either internal or ratchet across the back back 2 pallets to stop backward movement will suffice?

still cant believe how the rules have changed, drive sensibly and most things wont move think the only things I regularly strapped was steel, boards and rolls of paper.

nowadays people are saying strap toilet rolls jesus so glad I don’t have to put up with the general ■■■■■■■■ on a daily basis.

war1974:
nowadays people are saying strap toilet rolls jesus so glad I don’t have to put up with the general [zb] on a daily basis.

There are contradictions between what the law says & what gets done in general practice.

I have never seen any Walker’s drivers undoing straps on their loads of crisps into RDCs. Bar some straps across the back, I have never seen anybody undoing straps on a tall double stacked load of toilet rolls either. I deliver to Cash & Carry’s quite a bit and bump into Stobart’s delivering from Coke, never seen them undoing straps from each pallet and their curtains aren’t load bearing. These are often big companies who’s drivers you’d assume would be whipped into shape and doing things by the book.

I’d wager that most loads on curtain siders that, rightly or wrongly, technically should be strapped - aren’t. Unfortunately, those who do the job by the book often end up looking like the odd ones out taking longer than everybody else, so many just stop bothering and join the rest.

I’ll be honest, I’m not whiter than white. I strap most things but you wouldn’t catch me throwing straps over crisps and single stacked toilet rolls, things light enough you could drag the pallet around by hand, just maybe a ■■■■■■■■ the back end to keep the load from sliding. Is stuff like that likely to break through the curtains or break free of it’s shrink wrap?

I agree rob, but my point is still if you drive sensibly over 75% of stuff wouldn’t need strapping.

Most of the time if you are strapping the likes is Coke ,beer and tinned goods on pallets if you think about it you are only strapping 2 or 3 cases anyway