Securing loads

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Also ain’t VOSA/DSVA relaxed the rules a bit as in if your trailer has load bearing curtains that conform to EU standards then as long as the load is loaded right upto the head board and the pallets are loaded so they are flush to each other and no gaps and they go right upto the back door of the trailer then just 2 straps either internal or ratchet across the back back 2 pallets to stop backward movement will suffice?

Yes correct, in fact if you have 26 pallets all of a positive fit then no strapping required if it’s an xl12642 trailer.

I was taught at driving school/cpc that ALL loads must be secured against wandering.

Eventhough technically and mathmatically though dont need securing.

Latique:
anything over 400kg you cant use internal roof straps have to use ratchet straps over every pallet two if pallet more than a tonne !

Load of ■■■■■■■■ !!! if that was the case Wh malcolms are all running against this so called “law” about strapping they move more glass bottles probably more than anyone in the uk and they rope them down through the top plt and two at the back so if "the law " is correct they would be all running bent, all this ratchet strap ■■■■■■■■ is scare mongering !

taffytrucker:

peterm:

nick2008:
Simple rule.

If you wouldn’t take it on a flat without securing then don’t move.

That covers it nicely.

I agree. It’s got nothing to do with height or weight. Curtains only help to keep it on the trailer not securing to the trailer.

Trailer curtains are there to keep the goods on the trl dry not to stop it falling off

BIG AW:

Latique:
anything over 400kg you cant use internal roof straps have to use ratchet straps over every pallet two if pallet more than a tonne !

Load of ■■■■■■■■ !!! if that was the case Wh malcolms are all running against this so called “law” about strapping they move more glass bottles probably more than anyone in the uk and they rope them down through the top plt and two at the back so if "the law " is correct they would be all running bent, all this ratchet strap ■■■■■■■■ is scare mongering !

It ain’t a load of ■■■■■■■■ in the VOSA/DVSA guidelines they state that internal straps are only good for pallets upto 400kg anything over that must be restrained by other means. I do glass myself for Norberts and Allied Glass, been doing it years and use the internal strapping across every top 2 pallets done every 4 and then 2 across the back. I’m guessing if VOSA/DVSA did actually pull one of us over for a check if they went with their guidelines then they could actually do you/me for insecure load.

OK, now that’s sorted, is there rules /guidelines on how many straps should be on a load? 2,3 or even 4 or is it down to weight again? I got told that you can be fined for not having enough straps on the lead. Is that correct?

martin2410:
OK, now that’s sorted, is there rules /guidelines on how many straps should be on a load? 2,3 or even 4 or is it down to weight again? I got told that you can be fined for not having enough straps on the lead. Is that correct?

There are recognised standards for calculating securing forces.

BS EN12195-1 has numerous calculations within the standard. There is also a good bit of guidance in IMO Model Course 3.18 which gives quick lashing guides to help calculate straps required.

Ultimately it comes down to coefficient of friction, strength of the vehicle body, weight of the load and capacity of the lashings. The type of lashing is also highly relevant and the most common lashing method - over strapping - is the most inefficient method you could use.

Unfortunately it isn’t as simple as “how many straps”.

This might help…movingon.blog.gov.uk/load-secur … -vehicles/

bald bloke:
This might help…movingon.blog.gov.uk/load-secur … -vehicles/

Nice to see DVSA accepting what the rest of Europe have accepted for years but … As far as my experience goes you don’t see that many ‘XL’ rated trailers in the UK. The majority of curtain siders in the UK do not appear to be XL rated.

BIG AW:

Latique:

The 400kg thing is another classic contradiction of whats written in law & whats actually going on.

Kuene + Nagal as another example are ■■■■ hot on load security, yet they are quite happy for heavy palletised loads of beer to be secured with internal roof straps/curtains. A big outfit like that would surely have had their procedures checked over and OK’d with DVSA. Day to day, how often do you ever see anybody throwing ratchets over palletised loads on curtainsiders?

Curtain sider load security has a lot of confusing grey areas.

shep532:
Nice to see DVSA accepting what the rest of Europe have accepted for years but … As far as my experience goes you don’t see that many ‘XL’ rated trailers in the UK. The majority of curtain siders in the UK do not appear to be XL rated.

More of the big boys are starting to adapt it. Jack Richards, Maritime & Downtons I have noticed all have pillarless XL rated trailers at the modern end of their fleets.

I suspect an XL trailer costs a fair bit more than a standard one, the overall build quality of the structure and the curtains themselves are of much higher quality than standard trailers.

Yeah Downtons are always showing off their new trailers driving past where i work whilst im getting the duck tape out to fill some holes in on the 20+yr old curtainsider we use :laughing:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

BIG AW:

Latique:

It ain’t a load of ■■■■■■■■ in the VOSA/DVSA guidelines they state that internal straps are only good for pallets upto 400kg anything over that must be restrained by other means. I do glass myself for Norberts and Allied Glass, been doing it years and use the internal strapping across every top 2 pallets done every 4 and then 2 across the back. I’m guessing if VOSA/DVSA did actually pull one of us over for a check if they went with their guidelines then they could actually do you/me for insecure load.

Ok then what youre saying is that if you get stopped by Vosa and they check your load and its strapped as you say they may or may not drag you to the kerb and put a bullet in the back of your head ■■?
How many times have you been stopped by vosa and had your load checked ■■ how many drivers have been fined ? its always my mates mate mate if your load as been seen to be strapped to a decent standed where it looks to be secure no ■■■■■■ is going to do you for insecure loading ! and who the ■■■■ says its the law or if they have the right to check anyway if you refuse to open the curtains or back doors then what ■■? like I say WHMalcolms move more glass than anyone so all there trls are insecure ■■ you cant put ratchet straps on everything if that’s the case then we might as well go back to ropes and sheets then we would see how everybody copes

BIG AW:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

BIG AW:

Latique:

Ok then what youre saying is that if you get stopped by Vosa and they check your load and its strapped as you say they may or may not drag you to the kerb and put a bullet in the back of your head ■■?
How many times have you been stopped by vosa and had your load checked ■■ how many drivers have been fined ? its always my mates mate mate if your load as been seen to be strapped to a decent standed where it looks to be secure no [zb] is going to do you for insecure loading ! and who the [zb] says its the law or if they have the right to check anyway if you refuse to open the curtains or back doors then what ■■? like I say WHMalcolms move more glass than anyone so all there trls are insecure ■■ you cant put ratchet straps on everything if that’s the case then we might as well go back to ropes and sheets then we would see how everybody copes

I agree but if your trailer has a bulge in the curtain and you pass a VOSA car and he notices the bulge in the trailer and pulls you in and asks to see inside of your trailer because they think the load is insecure then you have to show them.
They have to have reason to belive that you have an insecure load to ask to see inside your trailer otherwise you can refuse. However you do this and what’s the betting they go to town on you checking everything with a fine tooth comb? If a few loads of glass ended up going over or causing bulges in the curtains and VOSA did checks I can tell you now they’d bring in a law where glass loads would only be able to be carried on trailers with the mesh netting system tht is intergrated into brewery trailers.
Yes hauliers may say ■■■■ it and carry on just using the tried and tested method of normal curtainsiders and internals but if you then had an accident/rollover or got pulled for a check by VOSA and they saw what you was carrying and the way it was secured, it would be you up in court or stood before the TC trying to explain why you went out with a trailer unsuitable for the load you was carrying. The company wouldn’t back you up. Obviously that scenario is what could happen if VOSA bought that law in.
I agree also with just how did they go on in the old days with just flat trailers and some rope and a sheet? They coped perfectly fine that’s how but you know yourself the world we live in today is full of H/S ■■■■■■■■ and action plans on how to switch on a light, open a door, go for a turd etc etc :unamused:

rob22888:

BIG AW:

Latique:

The 400kg thing is another classic contradiction of whats written in law & whats actually going on.

Kuene + Nagal as another example are [zb] hot on load security, yet they are quite happy for heavy palletised loads of beer to be secured with internal roof straps/curtains. A big outfit like that would surely have had their procedures checked over and OK’d with DVSA. Day to day, how often do you ever see anybody throwing ratchets over palletised loads on curtainsiders?

Curtain sider load security has a lot of confusing grey areas.

to get a load to move I doubt a single strap no matter how much it can ‘take’ your screwed and a strap wont as others have said stop 100 cases of beer moving. its all about showing willingness and a vain attempt to remove blame.

plus nowadays no one actually is allowed to go out with dads/granddads etc due to stupid health and safety so drivers pass and have no idea what to strap or how to strap it, so its easier to make it a one size fits all policy.

the internal straps are pathetic but again tick a box.

I know people who used to put the odd strap over plasterboard one of the few things I did bother strapping as they move like hell.

BIG AW:
How many times have you been stopped by vosa and had your load checked ■■ how many drivers have been fined ?

According to DVSA 2013 saw over 2000 fixed penalties issued to drivers and around 3000 Prohibitions to vehicles. They also reckon around 22,000 road impacts where roads had to be closed due to items falling onto the road (that’s about 60 a day). Of course it could all be propaganda bull ■■■■ :wink:

BIG AW:
its always my mates mate mate if your load as been seen to be strapped to a decent standed where it looks to be secure no [zb] is going to do you for insecure loading !

Yep - if it looks right you’ll be fine. The problem is if you meet the enforcement officers who have attended ‘the’ training because that changes what ‘looks right’ to you and what ‘looks right’ to them.

BIG AW:
and who the [zb] says its the law or if they have the right to check anyway if you refuse to open the curtains or back doors then what ■■?

Unfortunately the load check is part of a vehicle check, so when checking for roadworthiness they can check the load. If a driver refuses to assist or open curtains/doors etc they will simply prohibit the vehicle - but of course they would ordinarily need to have a reason to be checking the load in the first place - i.e. bulging curtains, over loaded etc

BIG AW:
you cant put ratchet straps on everything if that’s the case then we might as well go back to ropes and sheets then we would see how everybody copes

Many loads can’t be strapped, in which case they need to be packed accordingly and contained in a vehicle structure of sufficient strength. Here’s a good example of a quality trailer that can be adapted to carry most things safely.

I think the UK is quite a way behind mainland Europe when it comes to standards in load securing with Germany being the leaders. I don’t know why this is as the overall German way of doing things makes sense to me. Of course there are a number of European vehicles carrying unsafe loads and taking the risk of being stopped but on the whole most of the main European countries make it easier for the drivers by supplying the right equipment and training and time to secure the load. This is mainly due to the rather strict roadside enforcement and level of fines. It may also be because the consignor can be held responsible as well as the operator and driver meaning a lot of industries won’t allow the vehicle to leave unless the load is secured to a known standard (VDI 2700 in Germany - which is based on EN 12195).

We get a similar thing in the UK pulling out of sites such as Tata steel, you won’t get out if they don’t think the load is right. Unfortunately there are many more places couldn’t give a ■■■■ because under the Road Traffic Act or Construction and Use Regulations the consignor will not normally be held responsible if something happens out on the road. Usually the driver gets the brunt of the law with the operator possibly catching some flack.

I know many don’t agree with me and I know many have carried heavy loads with no load securing and got where they were going - but that is more luck than anything else. I have done it myself - but I have also had it go wrong due to another road users actions (or my lack of observation).

One aspect worrying me is the introduction of Autonomous Emergency Braking Systems meaning a truck may well, in certain circumstances, perform an emergency stop itself and it is possible it will brake far harder than the driver would. (Research shows most humans attain around 60 - 70% braking effort. Some AEB systems are achieving over 90% braking effort). Heavy loads that have not been secured correctly may well join the driver in the cab.

Check out this braking performance from about 12 seconds in. It is supposedly fully freighted - so I guess it was well secured or in an ‘XL’ body.

or well loaded with no gaps and stopping in a straight line!

war1974:
or well loaded with no gaps and stopping in a straight line!

Yep - although a standard headboard built to EN 12642 - L only has to withstand a maximum of 5t. So if that outfit is carrying 24t or so the headboard wouldn’t retain it under that kind of braking force.

If we take the coefficient of friction into account, a good dry pallet on a clean dry swept wooden trailer floor will achieve about 0.45 coefficient of friction, combined with the 5t maximum capacity of the headboard this means the headboard could withstand around 14.5t if there are no gaps in the load. With a ■■■■■■ damp pallet and a floor that hasn’t been swept in ages it is more like 0.3 coefficient of friction giving maximum retention of 10.1t for the headboard. Of course we have to consider how well each pallet is packed as there may be a lower coefficient of friction between areas of the pallet.

Of course some trailers exceed the EN 12642 L standard but don’t reach the ‘XL’ standard of 0.5 for the headboard. If we have an ‘XL’ headboard we only need 0.3 coefficient of friction, no gaps in the load and no load restraint will be required - the headboard and friction will do the job under full on emergency stop braking. Of course even with an ‘XL’ rated trailer there should be at least 1 strap over the load to stop it leaving the floor and reducing friction to zero :wink:

its all well and good quoting mathematical forces shep, and I am really only playing devils advocate here. the majority of headboards if you hammer the brakes on and have a palletised load it wont smash the headboard or come out, its all well and good saying these curtains will hold x these y these z, when at the end of the day almost all curtains are held on by a bit of cheap metal on a rail ( yes they no doubt use stronger materials for these xl types) but if you have to stop in a straight line most will hold the load.

the trouble is most of the shot loads we see are not people stopping in a straight line so it then renders the whole look at this tech pointless, and again I really do feel a lot is down to the driver and the current we can have any accidents society! if you have a load with straps on your still only strapping about 10% of the pallet.

war1974:
still cant believe how the rules have changed, drive sensibly and most things wont move think the only things I regularly strapped was steel, boards and rolls of paper.

nowadays people are saying strap toilet rolls jesus so glad I don’t have to put up with the general [zb] on a daily basis.

At last, somebody talking sense instead of believing all the guff off vosa about strapping loads. If vosa want to fine you they will find a way of doing it. If it looks like it needs strapping then strap it, if it doesnt then don’t. Vosa expect you to put a strap down the front of every pallet to make it secure, that’s a complete waste of time. If the pallets are shrink wrapped and look sturdy enough then a cross strap across the back is all you need. The fine isn’t £60 a pallet as some of the rdc tales go, it’s only £100 for the load. So for all the years I’ve got away without messing about making the load look pretty with straps when I do finally get caught it will be £100 well spent, and I still won’t strap after that