Straight to the point, Asda, how much per hour?

busteredwards:
If you do the legally allowable maximum rest day overtime shifts, you can do £45000 on nights. I did £38000 this year (tax year) on days, & as said earlier, rota’s are being changed at the moment, I’m going onto nights cos I’m a greedy money grabber! lol.

The online application is all geared to show your personality, top tip…don’t tick all the answers that you think Asda would want to see, they know what that pattern looks like, just answer as you see it for yourself.

For what it’s worth, I’v worked in various sectors of trucking, including many years with BP on tankers, & this Asda lark is the easiest, cleanest number I’v ever had. I’ll retire from this job I reckon (when the time comes)

I start next week at Rochdale cdc run by Wincanton. Absolutely bricking myself as it’s my first proper driving job, have had my licence for 3 yrs but never used it, they’ve promised me all the training I would need before I’m sent out on my own so nervously excited.

Thank you gents for the comprehensive replies, really helpful. Is there a set pattern to the rotas/start times? Or, if you’re someone who prefers working weekends and nights, is there an option to have set days/hours?

Thanks in advance again.

Start times at our place are the same, if you are a 1600 driver you wont be asked to do 1600 one week an 0600 the next. I believe in the union agreed collective agreement they can ask you to start up to 2hrs early but thats as far as your time can move. You may have to start on one of the less favoured times, for our place that would be between 1100 and 1500. I managed to start on a 8.45 start which was rare, 0400-0800 is unheard of, wait for a retirement and hope you have more service and a better absence record than the other guys going for it :laughing:

Rota is fixed but planned a year in advance so plenty of idea what you are doing, I can count on 1 hand how many have a set personalized rota, usually guys that have gone part time, doing only 2 or 3 days a week before retirement (usually has a weekend day in there as well)

ProudNewbie:

busteredwards:
If you do the legally allowable maximum rest day overtime shifts, you can do £45000 on nights. I did £38000 this year (tax year) on days, & as said earlier, rota’s are being changed at the moment, I’m going onto nights cos I’m a greedy money grabber! lol.

Can do a lot more than that these days, did over a grand top line in a week a few weeks back on days. 5 days and certainly not max hours. Got a pay increase coming in from April too so happy days :smiley:

stewart00:
Thank you gents for the comprehensive replies, really helpful. Is there a set pattern to the rotas/start times? Or, if you’re someone who prefers working weekends and nights, is there an option to have set days/hours?

Thanks in advance again.

Set shift pattern that repeats itself every 10 weeks with a start time of 03.00 every day for me it never changes, there is the possibility of doing the same days every week but they’d want you to provide a Saturday or Sunday in there but if you’re willing to work both weekend days then they’ll love you for that.

bald bloke:

stewart00:

Thanks in advance again.

Set shift pattern that repeats itself every 10 weeks with a start time of 03.00 every day for me it never changes, there is the possibility of doing the same days every week but they’d want you to provide a Saturday or Sunday in there but if you’re willing to work both weekend days then they’ll love you for that.

Are you home every day or do nights out occasionally ?

remy:

bald bloke:

stewart00:

Thanks in advance again.

Always home we are not planned for nights out but obviously the unexpected does happen from time to time.

bald bloke:

remy:

bald bloke:

stewart00:

Thanks in advance again.

Always home we are not planned for nights out but obviously the unexpected does happen from time to time.

Thanks for info, they had a few drivers go home at night but most of us cabbed it 4 /5 nights a week when i worked for Wally.

We dont do anywhere near the miles you guys in the US would have done. Longest we do from Didcot is a night trunk to wakefield, drop and swap, over to Doncaster, drop and swap then home. Bags of time. Store runs, longest drive time is probably Poole so 2hrs each way.

Nighting out for us is hitting 15hrs duty time rather than 9-10hrs drive time. That only tends to be a road closure or stuck behind another wagon to tip when you’ve bit off a bit more than you can chew for a second run. Xmas tends to slow everything down with more deliveries going into store and more getting stuck. I do remember a few guys volunteering to bring their night out gear so they could do 3 run days last xmas when we were busy but they will never ask.

They dont really like it as you are paid night out money and expenses (duvet, pillow, underwear, socks, food from store) run in next morning then either go home paid for that full shift or work it and get double bubble. The sort of costs they dont want regular.

The RDC i worked out of has lots of stores up to 3 hours away so i’d be in and out of the RDC till my hours were used up then i’d sleep at the RDC or closest store. We’re paid by the mile and activity as are most trucking companies since the beginning of time. :confused:

ProudNewbie:

busteredwards:

The online application is all geared to show your personality, top tip…don’t tick all the answers that you think Asda would want to see, they know what that pattern looks like, just answer as you see it for yourself.

For what it’s worth, I’v worked in various sectors of trucking, including many years with BP on tankers, & this Asda lark is the easiest, cleanest number I’v ever had. I’ll retire from this job I reckon (when the time comes)

I start next week at Rochdale cdc run by Wincanton. Absolutely bricking myself as it’s my first proper driving job, have had my licence for 3 yrs but never used it, they’ve promised me all the training I would need before I’m sent out on my own so nervously excited.

Wincanton/Asda Rochdale is mainly chill, used to be mostly nights/very early starts, e.g. no start times after 03:00.

Easy work, pushing cages on to loading docks/scissor lifts, back load waste/ empties.

Back store staff generally friendly, but you have to wait for them to open gates and they all seem to be on their break when you arrive.

If it’s your first class 1 driving job, take your time and ask questions, as some of the stores are tight or you have to be spot on the scissor lifts.

Also some of the smaller stores (ex Netto) can involve manoeuvring in their car park, mixing with the general public.

Good luck, I don’t think Wincanton t’s & c’s are as generous as Asda own run DC’s

Holy thread resurrection batman!

I’ve decided to give Asda a try because it’s really close to home, place I’m leaving has been alright but I’m getting tired of the hours plus just under an hours total commute.

Current night rate is £15.94 then £16.94. Day rate is pretty poor and I’m not that happy about the rate going down to day rate once the clock hits 0600. But I’ll try it and see how it goes.

As a new colleague, your basic pay, applicable to your basic hours of work, will be £12.02 per hour. After
26 weeks, your basic pay will then be increased to £13.02 per hour.
An unsociable hours payment of £1.75 per hour will be made for any hours that are worked between
14:00pm & 22:00pm and £3.92 per hour will be made for any hours that are worked between 22:00pm
and 06:00am.
You will be eligible to receive an overtime payment at a rate of £5.73 for any hours that you work in
excess of 45 hours in any week (Sunday to Saturday)

HGVBeard:
Holy thread resurrection batman!

I’ve decided to give Asda a try because it’s really close to home, place I’m leaving has been alright but I’m getting tired of the hours plus just under an hours total commute.

Current night rate is £15.94 then £16.94. Day rate is pretty poor and I’m not that happy about the rate going down to day rate once the clock hits 0600. But I’ll try it and see how it goes.

As a new colleague, your basic pay, applicable to your basic hours of work, will be £12.02 per hour. After
26 weeks, your basic pay will then be increased to £13.02 per hour.
An unsociable hours payment of £1.75 per hour will be made for any hours that are worked between
14:00pm & 22:00pm and £3.92 per hour will be made for any hours that are worked between 22:00pm
and 06:00am.
You will be eligible to receive an overtime payment at a rate of £5.73 for any hours that you work in
excess of 45 hours in any week (Sunday to Saturday)

Yeah it’s not a fair payment system, if you have worked all night you should be paid night rate straight through. A big failure from the Union on that one… Although they now have their work cut out dealing with the new owners refusal to up the pay rise offer :wink:
Interesting times for Asda what with the new petrol stations coming on board shortly & the owners possibly acquiring Boots the chemist. I can see them turning 100’s of boots shops into convenience stores if they take them over!

Why bother asking on here,so many different answers, apply and find out all the info for yourself and then make your mind up.What suits one is not always someone else`s cuppa tea

Disregarding the £s, just look at the premium hour bands, they seem very reasonable to me, particularly the afternoon early evening enhancement. It is only 0600 to 1400 which does not attract a higher rate. The quote provided makes reference to ‘any hours that are worked’ : it does not stipulate ’ shifts which commence’. What really needs to be taken into account are the actual shift start times. Lorry driving has always entailed early morning start times with 0600 being considered the benchmark for the start of a ‘normal’ day. It would have been unusual for there to be any increase for hours worked after that time except for a start time after 1800. I can’t see a problem, more a recognition of the actual times of day which are antisocial.